What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love that you asked about lunch. There's always much ado about dinner, and almost as much about breakfast. Maybe lunch menus get neglected partly due to the fact that a lot of us may have dinner leftovers for lunch... which is actually what I had for lunch today. I think leftovers may be underrated. I had leftover grilled chicken & apple sausage and Kale & mango salad. I highly recommend the kale & mango salad. I think I may have posted the link here before, but since I'm mentioning it again... here it is. One of the great things about it is that you can dress the whole salad, and still have it the next day and the next. The kale doesn't get soggy. Also the kale is 'massaged'. Prepare and cut up the kale, add drizzle of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and some kosher salad and massage for 2-3 minutes. That breaks it down and softens it a bit. Lemon and honey and a little olive oil for the dressing. Seriously though, a yummy summer salad.

Massaged Kale Salad
I love leftovers. When I lived at home lunch on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas Day) was always leftovers and always included bubble and squeak made with leftover potatoes, brussels and any other left over veg, with cold meat (turkey or goose or whatever we had on Christmas Day) and as we always have onion sauce (= béchamel sauce with onions) there was always some to have on Boxing Day. Mother used to make more veg, sauce and gravy than was needed on Christmas Day just so there would be leftovers for the following day.

I might have a go at your Kale salad. As far as I'm concerned kale is the work of the devil and I avoid it like the plague but I know it's very good for you.

I love leftovers. When I lived at home lunch on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas Day) was always leftovers and always included bubble and squeak made with leftover potatoes, brussels and any other left over veg, with cold meat (turkey or goose or whatever we had on Christmas Day) and as we always have onion sauce (= béchamel sauce with onions) there was always some to have on Boxing Day. Mother used to make more veg, sauce and gravy than was needed on Christmas Day just so there would be leftovers for the following day.

I might have a go at your Kale salad. As far as I'm concerned kale is the work of the devil and I avoid it like the plague but I know it's very good for you.

Bleh! Lots of things are good for you, so there are definitely better choices than kale! ;)

I agree, though - I love leftovers, too. Today I had yesterday's leftover chicken salad and potato salad. Then I was still hungry so I had a scoop of vanilla Greek yogurt topped with strawberry sauce (aka failed strawberry jam), granola and local honey.

A rare evening meal since I am trying to detox and can only manage half a day, i.e. one meal replacement.

Had a great raw beetroot "salad". It's divine! Simple but very tasty and exceptionally healthy.

Peel and grate raw beetroot into salad bowl. Add crushed garlic and lemon juice to taste. Chill.

(The beetroot and garlic are both blood purifiers and the lemon juice, although acidic, is alkaline in the stomach - it cleanses and eases inflammations).

Of course I kinda spoilt it a bit later with a coffee and one biscuit. (Followed later by a small bown of muesli, banana and some organic milk).
Ah well, baby steps I guess! :ermm:

Three days a week I have to drive into the office. I enjoy the office days, though, because there is a Whole Foods across the street with a hot food bar.

While most people give WF a hard time for being a pricey place to buy groceries, I've found the food bar to be a good value. It's $7.99 a pound - whether that pound consists of salad or mac & cheese. Most of the time my bill comes out to around $5-6.

This particular WF has a pretty good lunch chef. Today I had meatloaf with green beans. It was as good as the meatloaf I make at home.

Yesterday they had a number of Indian items... tikka masala and what not. Also good.

Thursdays is usually Mexican-themed foods.

I usually eat better when I'm in the office. If I were at home, I'd likely just have a cold sandwich or salad. :)

Three days a week I have to drive into the office. I enjoy the office days, though, because there is a Whole Foods across the street with a hot food bar.

While most people give WF a hard time for being a pricey place to buy groceries, I've found the food bar to be a good value. It's $7.99 a pound - whether that pound consists of salad or mac & cheese. Most of the time my bill comes out to around $5-6.

This particular WF has a pretty good lunch chef. Today I had meatloaf with green beans. It was as good as the meatloaf I make at home.

Yesterday they had a number of Indian items... tikka masala and what not. Also good.

Thursdays is usually Mexican-themed foods.

I usually eat better when I'm in the office. If I were at home, I'd likely just have a cold sandwich or salad. :)

:LOL: When we visited my brother in MPS, we went to WF, my salad came to around $25! I was so discombobulated that I forgot my wallet at the counter. We did manage to get several meals out of that one little styrofoam container.

:LOL: When we visited my brother in MPS, we went to WF, my salad came to around $25! I was so discombobulated that I forgot my wallet at the counter. We did manage to get several meals out of that one little styrofoam container.

You made a three pound salad???:rolleyes:

Plain yogurt mixed with mashed up banana, and a touch of maple syrup and vanilla extract.

:LOL: When we visited my brother in MPS, we went to WF, my salad came to around $25!

FjscdPe2iMCfZwy.png

That sounds like something I like far better than a salad that is mostly lettuce/greens. Maybe that's from eating too many salads with tired lettuce!

I call them 'composed salads'. There can be greens but they're usually just as an underpinning not the main ingredient. They may be served as a light meal.

A Nicoise salad is an example.
You make a good point. I do love my salads most of the time, but the cucumber salad is a nice change from 90% greens with a few things added. ?

You make a good point. I do love my salads most of the time, but the cucumber salad is a nice change from 90% greens with a few things added. ��

If you want to surprise your greens, give them a couple of sliced radishes. They really perk up your interest in what you are eating. :angel:

I was off today, so we had Reuben sandwiches and cut up cantaloup.

I love Reuben sandwiches. I have some sauerkraut and that is the perfect excuse to get the rest of the ingredients during my next trip for shopping. I forgot, I even have the cheese. Just need the meat and bread. :angel:

This pics is a week old, but it's what I had today. . .I can't believe I had a salad as a meal, after years of touting: A salad is not a meal, it's a promise that there is food to come.

14220392010_8fa7d841f1_b.jpg

It was very satisfying. I am slowly adjusting to more and more things that I didn't ever think I would have to adjust to.

This pics is a week old, but it's what I had today. . .I can't believe I had a salad as a meal, after years of touting: A salad is not a meal, it's a promise that there is food to come.

It was very satisfying. I am slowly adjusting to more and more things that I didn't ever think I would have to adjust to.

I like the addition of blues cheese. Jazz cheese is good too.

Back
Top Bottom