"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-12-2004, 06:33 PM   #21
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Pizza.
Get out. I never would have guessed that.

Old 11-12-2004, 07:27 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
goodweed, where do you get 5 year aged cheddar? the best i can find is 3 year, imported from canada...(where else?)
I have two scources. The easiest is in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario at a groceryt store called "Rohlms". It's Balderson Heritage Cheddar, made in Canada by Balderson Cheese Company (they do have a website). It is incredible cheddar cheese. Theirr Heritage Cheddar line ranges from 0ne year to five. The cheese is a wonderful ballance of acidity, salt, and cheddar flavor.

The other place is from a guy I know in the telecommunication business, in Marquette, Michigan. His brother lives in Wisconsin and makes a amazing 5 - year aged cheddar as well. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the dairy. I can only get it through my freind.

I know that Balderson has won several awards for the Heritage Cheddar Line in Canada. Good stuff!

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:01 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
I have two scources. The easiest is in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario at a groceryt store called "Rohlms". It's Balderson Heritage Cheddar, made in Canada by Balderson Cheese Company ...
When I first read this too fast, I read it as 'Balderdash Heritage Cheddar'. I was like, hmm, there's a cheese worth investigating, for the name alone. :D

Goodweed, do you read crime fiction? Do you know Jeremy Healy? His books are set in and around Sault Ste Marie. He is a recent discovery for me, and also my first exposure to your neck of the woods. My impression is of a region crisp and clear and clean, the people the same. But waaay too cold for this transplanted Southerner. (His books are very good.)
Old 11-12-2004, 08:52 PM   #24
Master Chef

When I first read this too fast, I read it as 'Balderdash Heritage Cheddar'. I was like, hmm, there's a cheese worth investigating, for the name alone. :D

Goodweed, do you read crime fiction? Do you know Jeremy Healy? His books are set in and around Sault Ste Marie. He is a recent discovery for me, and also my first exposure to your neck of the woods. My impression is of a region crisp and clear and clean, the people the same. But waaay too cold for this transplanted Southerner. (His books are very good.)[/quote]

Catseye; I haven't heard of the books. I will have to check them out.
As far as the temperature around here, it's colder than many places, but not as cold as others. We have no earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, monsoons, etc. We have no dangerous spyders or snakes, and our mosquitoes are normaly harmless, if pesky. My well water is as good as any bottled water and I'm surounded by forest, and water.

I do have to shovel frequently in the winter, but at the same time, that deep snow provided countless hours of pleasure in my youth, as I live near some very large gravel pits, and the slopes were long and steep :D :D :D . Our summers are temperate, not usually rising above 87 and normally hovering between 75 and 80. I experience the occasional sub-zero temps in the winter (one year it stayed at minus 30 for 2 months straight, but that's in a 49 year life-span). The normal winter temperatures around here range between 15 and 28 degrees.

I laugh when I hear the weather channel talking about dangerously cold weather at 35 degrees. That's sweater weather for me. I've been known to sleep in a tent in minus ten degree weather. Never suffered a bit. All of my children (two boys and two girls) have accompanied me on winter camping trips. You sure don't have to fight the tourists. :D

For me, the weather is just right. And you all wonder why I'm so fond of good, hot chili, northern style of course.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:02 PM   #25
Master Chef

I'll have to go at this from the other end - what I don't like since there isn't much I don't like!

I can't stomach liver (beef, pork, lamb) - fried, broiled or smothered-in-onions. I've tried to eat it but I can't keep it down - although Braunswager sandwiches don't give me any problems in moderation (no more than 2-3 per day).

Second would have to be a catagory - anything that Bobby Flay would like ... the old stomach just can't handle the "heat" like it did when I was young.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:29 AM   #26
Head Chef

Here's my severely trimmed-down short list:

Philippine mangoes
Crabs
Oysters
Mussels
Foie gras
Duck breast
Prime rib au jus
Beef tenderloin
Sweet potatoes with cinammon, butter and brown sugar
Truffles
Fried Pigeon
Noodles
Peking duck
Tom yum Soup
Old 11-13-2004, 05:11 AM   #27
Head Chef

Hate: Peas (unless they're fresh from the garden and uncooked), creamed corn (ewwwwww), gravey (*shudders*), four-legged critter meat of all types, chicken/duck/turkey etc., runney gooey egg yolks, licorice, overcooked mushy vegetables, most tomatoe-based sauces for pasta, margerine, de-caf coffee

Love: All things from the sea and any other body of water with Copper River Salmon being my all time favorite, all things Hazlenut, popcorn, fresh real Parmesan cheese, nuts of any kind, Volvic bottled water, lemon bars and tarts, mushrooms, peanut butter, fresh basil and peanut butter M&Ms

:)
Old 11-14-2004, 10:51 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Milk
Buttermilk pancakes
Chicken fried steak
Big, juicy hamburger with fries
Tacos
Here is the rest of my list:

cheese, brie and smoked gouda are my favorites
chocolate covered cherries
beef jerky
salami
dark chocolate
garlic fries
my mom's potato salad
waffles
blackberry syrup
french dip sandwiches

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:01 PM   #29
Head Chef

As #1 I favor mexican food but if I can't have that I'll settle for spaghetti, lasagna or pizza.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote