"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
Head Chef

What is for dinner, Friday 30th November?

Long time since I started one of these!

DH has an unexpected bonus weekend in UK...flying in tonight. In panic for an unexpected midnight meal I've bought the makings for burgers. Its been ages since I made a decent burger. I've got the options of bacon, blue cheese and avocado. I wonder which he'll choose?

Its been a rough old time so I'm spoiling him with something sweet too ....peanut butter, banana and chocolate milkshake.

Stress calls for calories and good tastes in a simple form IMO.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Spaghetti al fungi with loads of crispy bacon.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Executive Chef

My mum was unwell today so she is with me tonight so my dinner plans changed as she wasn't up to my intended meal, so tonight we had smoked trout and aspargus omelettes (although mine had cheddar in as well), with fresh bread and butter. Very simple, but very tasty.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

We had burgers on the grill yesterday..
tonight we are having...
grilled bacon wrapped pork loin,stewed potatoes,collards ,fried corn bread, and banana pudding. yum !
Old 11-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
Long time since I started one of these!DH has an unexpected bonus weekend in UK...flying in tonight. In panic for an unexpected midnight meal I've bought the makings for burgers. Its been ages since I made a decent burger. I've got the options of bacon, blue cheese and avocado. I wonder which he'll choose?
Its been a rough old time so I'm spoiling him with something sweet too ....peanut butter, banana and chocolate milkshake.Stress calls for calories and good tastes in a simple form IMO.
Thanks for starting this Lulu. I was just coming in to see if one had been started. I love this thread. It's so helpful to me and really has given me the opportunity to use other peoples' imaginations to create my dinner for me.

I hope all is well with your family and your meal sounds delicious. I'm voting for the blue cheese, bacon and avocado myself. And see you just got me thinking.

I'll do burgers too. Bought lots of meats for my freezer and a good size lean-ish ground beef. DH loves burgers plus I even have whole wheat buns in the freezer, bought tons of cheeses yesterday at WalMart because they were calling me to take them off the shelf so I obliged.

Does anyone else enjoy the WalMart brand of ice creams? They are so inexpensive and so creamy and the flavors are wonderful too. Last time I bought some, I got the "birthday cake" flavor. Gad it's good. Didn't do the Butterscotch brownies yesterday but instead, DH got that birthday cake flavored ice cream over broken up chunks of my pumpkin pie. He was enamored with the flavor and I felt so dang smart
Old 11-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

i hope your mama feels better soon, bilby.

lulu, an avocado/bleu/bacon boigah (the proper pronunciation ) sounds really good!

yt, you must eat a lot of mushrooms, 'cuse you're such a fungi.

i'm making pad thai from a box (well, not actually from the box, but the contents of which) as an appetizer. not sure what dw's gonna make. i bought some nice pork rib chops, chicken thighs, and shrimp yesterday, and i have a coupla chunks of beef tenderloin, so we'll probably end up getting take out...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
Head Chef

It's a cold and rainy mess out there today... so, comfort food it is. I'm dragging out the slow cooker & making a big pot roast w French onion soup (maybe add some wine), carrots, celery, onions, potatoes & mushrooms. Toward the end of cooking time, I may throw in some dumplings to serve with the gravy. When it comes to CP cooking, I feel like a mad scientist - never know what I may throw in there. Apple pie & whipped cream for dessert.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I'm thinking pork chops w/ gravy and mashed potatoes, I'll find some sort of veggie in the freezer. Probably broccoli.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i hope your mama feels better soon, bilby.
Thanks!!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

It's cold and overcast here today..We usually go out on Friday's but decided to stay in, enjoy the new pellet stove and relax..So we will be munching on a whole roasted chicken, I just got ready, I put finely chopped herbs mixed with butter under and on the skin, a mix of the herbs and an onion and some garlic in the cavity and the bird is resting the the refrigerator til later...Then I'll add some tiny yukon golds and a few carrots for DH and make a salad and rolls..Just might haul out the frozen Brussels sprouts and roast those too.
Dessert, just some mascarpone, nuts,dried apricots, stuffed into apples and baked.
kadesma