What is for dinner, Friday 30th November?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
Long time since I started one of these!

DH has an unexpected bonus weekend in UK...flying in tonight. In panic for an unexpected midnight meal I've bought the makings for burgers. Its been ages since I made a decent burger. I've got the options of bacon, blue cheese and avocado. I wonder which he'll choose?

Its been a rough old time so I'm spoiling him with something sweet too ....peanut butter, banana and chocolate milkshake.

Stress calls for calories and good tastes in a simple form IMO. ;)

My mum was unwell today so she is with me tonight so my dinner plans changed as she wasn't up to my intended meal, so tonight we had smoked trout and aspargus omelettes (although mine had cheddar in as well), with fresh bread and butter. Very simple, but very tasty.

We had burgers on the grill yesterday..
tonight we are having...
grilled bacon wrapped pork loin,stewed potatoes,collards ,fried corn bread, and banana pudding. yum !

Long time since I started one of these!DH has an unexpected bonus weekend in UK...flying in tonight. In panic for an unexpected midnight meal I've bought the makings for burgers. Its been ages since I made a decent burger. I've got the options of bacon, blue cheese and avocado. I wonder which he'll choose?
Its been a rough old time so I'm spoiling him with something sweet too ....peanut butter, banana and chocolate milkshake.Stress calls for calories and good tastes in a simple form IMO. ;)
Thanks for starting this Lulu. I was just coming in to see if one had been started. I love this thread. It's so helpful to me and really has given me the opportunity to use other peoples' imaginations to create my dinner for me.

I hope all is well with your family and your meal sounds delicious. I'm voting for the blue cheese, bacon and avocado myself. And see you just got me thinking.

I'll do burgers too. Bought lots of meats for my freezer and a good size lean-ish ground beef. DH loves burgers plus I even have whole wheat buns in the freezer, bought tons of cheeses yesterday at WalMart because they were calling me:LOL: to take them off the shelf:wacko: so I obliged.

Does anyone else enjoy the WalMart brand of ice creams? They are so inexpensive and so creamy and the flavors are wonderful too. Last time I bought some, I got the "birthday cake" flavor. Gad it's good. Didn't do the Butterscotch brownies yesterday but instead, DH got that birthday cake flavored ice cream over broken up chunks of my pumpkin pie. He was enamored with the flavor and I felt so dang smart:LOL:

i hope your mama feels better soon, bilby.

lulu, an avocado/bleu/bacon boigah (the proper pronunciation ;)) sounds really good!

yt, you must eat a lot of mushrooms, 'cuse you're such a fungi. :rolleyes:

i'm making pad thai from a box (well, not actually from the box, but the contents of which) as an appetizer. not sure what dw's gonna make. i bought some nice pork rib chops, chicken thighs, and shrimp yesterday, and i have a coupla chunks of beef tenderloin, so we'll probably end up getting take out...:huh:

It's a cold and rainy mess out there today... so, comfort food it is. I'm dragging out the slow cooker & making a big pot roast w French onion soup (maybe add some wine), carrots, celery, onions, potatoes & mushrooms. Toward the end of cooking time, I may throw in some dumplings to serve with the gravy. When it comes to CP cooking, I feel like a mad scientist - never know what I may throw in there. Apple pie & whipped cream for dessert.

I'm thinking pork chops w/ gravy and mashed potatoes, I'll find some sort of veggie in the freezer. Probably broccoli.

It's cold and overcast here today..We usually go out on Friday's but decided to stay in, enjoy the new pellet stove and relax..So we will be munching on a whole roasted chicken, I just got ready, I put finely chopped herbs mixed with butter under and on the skin, a mix of the herbs and an onion and some garlic in the cavity and the bird is resting the the refrigerator til later...Then I'll add some tiny yukon golds and a few carrots for DH and make a salad and rolls..Just might haul out the frozen Brussels sprouts and roast those too.
Dessert, just some mascarpone, nuts,dried apricots, stuffed into apples and baked.
kadesma;)

I'm right in there with you amy, a big chuck roast in the slow cooker with potatos, carrots and onions. I was debating on whether or not to add one of the two packages of mushrooms I bought yesterday, after reading your post I think I will. That will be something different for me and add a different texture to the meal.

DH said he'll be home for dinner tonight, just not sure how early, so I'm going to start a batch of marinara soon and will just cook some pasta whenever he does make it through the door. Salad for him and broccoli for dd and me.

Going out for Chinese with some good friends.
The rest. is right next to the local biker bar so we'll go
have beers after dinner.

I'm right in there with you amy, a big chuck roast in the slow cooker with potatos, carrots and onions. I was debating on whether or not to add one of the two packages of mushrooms I bought yesterday, after reading your post I think I will. That will be something different for me and add a different texture to the meal.

Go for it. I add about half the shrooms in the beginning & half at the end of cooking time, so they are not all smooshy. I seared the beef, cut little slits throughout & inserted peeled cloves of garlic. Never tried the French Onion soup and wine in the mix. Can't wait to see how it turns out. If I had some bacon, I'd throw that in too - sort of a cross between bourgignon & carbonade. If I have time, gonna look for my parslied-walnut dumpling recipe & add them toward the end. Looking forward to some hot apple pie as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom