What is for Dinner, January 29, '09?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chicken soup here also - with carrots, celery, garlic, onions, and noodles.

Hubby's day off so I actually got to cook a meal. I found out this week I have to watch my cholesterol (on top of everything else) and DH has an ulcer so I am trying to cook great within our diet guidelines.

I made chicken just seasoned with a bit of salt and white pepper, seared and finished off in the oven. I served it with steamed veggies and rice. For dessert I took fat free/sugar free instant pudding made with skim milk and layered it with sliced bananas and a sauce made out of a little bit of white chocolate and skim milk. It all actually tasted wonderful!!!!

This was our dinner last night. Breaded chicken breast (with seasoned, homemade cornbread crumbs) topped with sliced onion, tomato and green onion...mashed taters and beets (just butter, salt-n-pepper).

Alix, he wanted butter, salt, pepper.... they were awesome, though. I'll fix them for myself next time, using your vinegar and lemon juice idea!

img_784317_0_9cd10eca5e0a7ac0d6ea0964cdab21e2.jpg

img_784317_1_fb32940d5310530ed5bbf6c75b2a2c32.jpg

I found out this week I have to watch my cholesterol (on top of everything else) and DH has an ulcer so I am trying to cook great within our diet guidelines.

LP - High cholesterol? been there.. I know it sounds cliche but I got mine down by eating oatmeal for breaksfast every day, I mix in my own REAL Maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, or appels, blueberries, etc. I thought it would get boring, but it just forced me to get creative.

I also snacked on a cereal mix at night when I wanted something. I used the whole- grain cereals for the mix like Honey nut cheerios, mutli-grain cheerios, and cinammon toast crunch, and mixed nuts.

Of course I had to watch my weaknesses like cheese and ice cream, but I just limit those now.

I'm pulling for ya!

LP - High cholesterol? been there.. I know it sounds cliche but I got mine down by eating oatmeal for breaksfast every day, I mix in my own REAL Maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, or appels, blueberries, etc. I thought it would get boring, but it just forced me to get creative.

I also snacked on a cereal mix at night when I wanted something. I used the whole- grain cereals for the mix like Honey nut cheerios, mutli-grain cheerios, and cinammon toast crunch, and mixed nuts.

Of course I had to watch my weaknesses like cheese and ice cream, but I just limit those now.

I'm pulling for ya!

Thanks, Dave, both for the tips and the encouragement. I make my own kind of granola - have done so for years because I have to watch other things - and I use a small amount of pure maple syrup in it. That can be my snacks! I love oatmeal and may just try that as well.

I will get through this - I just have to tell myself that if I can get through this leg mess I can handle ANYTHING!!!!!

Laurie, can you eat garlic? And how about some red wine every night? My sister swears by both.

I can eat garlic and love it! As for the red wine, alas no can do. It is high on my list of migraine triggers! Thanks everyone for the tips. I am used to advising others of special diets but high cholesterol has not been one I have done much with!

I can eat garlic and love it! As for the red wine, alas no can do. It is high on my list of migraine triggers! Thanks everyone for the tips. I am used to advising others of special diets but high cholesterol has not been one I have done much with!
Since my wife stopped drinking red wine and I cut it out of my dinners, my wife's migraines have been minimal and almost gone. I still enjoy my red wine though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom