What is lowest price for almonds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aruzinsky

Washing Up
The cheapest price I could find for raw, shelled, unsalted, unblanched almonds is $15.99/5 lb = $3.20/lb, which was at an Indian grocery store in Chicago, IL. The cheapest price that I could find from an online store was $3.69/lb.

I sneered and hissed at a 12-oz package just yesterday for a mere $8.98! By my calculations, that's about four times the price of your finds. (Of course, I haven't shopped for the lowest price.)

Audeo said:
I sneered and hissed at a 12-oz package just yesterday for a mere $8.98! By my calculations, that's about four times the price of your finds. (Of course, I haven't shopped for the lowest price.)

I heard in the news that almond prices are going up, but I can't remember why. I think it has something to do with American export laws.

I usually use 5 lbs of almonds in my Xmas cookies and think it would be wise to start shopping early.

Indeed, 'tis the season to buy baking staples! I should begin watching for sales on sugar and butter and the like, but I cringe at the prices of vanilla and good chocolate!

Here's a quote from the President's Annual Report to the Blue Diamond Almond Growers of California:

This steady climb in market values reflects:

- Rising global demand for California almonds that exceeds supply
- A continuing weak US dollar compared to other major currencies
- Still favorable price levels for California almonds compared to most other tree nuts
- Strong leadership supporting a well-informed almond industry

It's an interesting read, and may be found at: http://www.bluediamond.com/growers/index.cfm?l_tableid=174

I have not tried to shop for almonds yet this year, but usually I buy them at Trader Joe's or Costco, depending on how many I need because at Costco the quantity is 2 pounds, at TJ's I can get less. I do not exclusively use almonds during the holidays, being in Oregon I use hazelnuts quite a bit, and pecans. I had not heard almonds were going up in price, but I did hear that about pecans becuase of the bad weather in the south ruined the crop.

norgeskog said:
but I did hear that about pecans becuase of the bad weather in the south ruined the crop.

GASP! :shock: I use more pecans than anything!!! Costco, here I come tomorrow!!!

Thanks for the heads up, norgeskog. I didn't know that!

Audeo said:
norgeskog said:
but I did hear that about pecans becuase of the bad weather in the south ruined the crop.

GASP! :shock: I use more pecans than anything!!! Costco, here I come tomorrow!!!

Velkommen Audeo. I'll meet you there and we can have a piece of their delicious pizza

Guess I'd better go to Costco too. I already have a 5-lb bag of their almonds (don't remember the price) in the freezer, so a bag of pecans will help it from feeling lonely in there.

Audeo said:
norgeskog said:

Audeo,

Do you ever go down to the Dallas Farmers Market? We used to buy huge bags of pecans down there when we lived in Texas. We'd go down at least once a month (but we didn't buy pecans each time...).

John

ronjohn55 said:
Audeo said:
norgeskog said:

Audeo,

Do you ever go down to the Dallas Farmers Market? We used to buy huge bags of pecans down there when we lived in Texas. We'd go down at least once a month (but we didn't buy pecans each time...).

John

Good morning ronjohn and all.

The Dallas Farmer's Market is only a half hour's drive (without traffic) from me and, to tell you the truth, I hadn't thought of going down there, and don't know why. What a great idea for the weekend! That is such a wonderful place...no telling what else I will find and drag home!

Thanks for the reminder! It's sure a lot more fun than Costco.......

To anyone intending to use pecans in traditional European recipes, I remind you that pecans are indigenous to the United States and therefore improper in those recipes. Furthermore, pecan oil rapidly becomes rancid in air when compared to almond or hazelnut oil. Traditionally, German Xmas cookies, made with almonds and/or hazelnuts are stored in airtight boxes for a long time. This cannot be done as well with bastardized German pecan cookies.

This year I am going to experiment making hazelnut and maybe pecan cookies by substituting those nuts with almonds and artificial hazelnut and pecan flavoring.

Today, I bought the almonds and also pistachio nuts shown in the picture below. I also bought other goodies that I will post elsewhere.
AlmondsNPistachio.jpg

The look really good, particularly for that price. I used to live in Silicon Valley, CA and we used to buy nuts direct from the farmers on the way back from Lake Tahoe. They were good, but they cost more than that several years ago.

Ill tell you the lowest price for almonds........That's when you find a tree and pick them up yourself.............Then they're FREE :LOL: :LOL:

Interesting stuff, aruzinsky, probably too exotic for my bland Norwegian palette, but interesting nevertheless.

Back
Top Bottom