What is Sunday's Grub, Bub? July 22nd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice Sunday Chicken dinners and pics from several of you. I'd tuck into any one of them starting way back with Andy's pork roast. The best whilte meat. And say thanks to everyone for sharing.

Well my day started out right, and only got better, though very low key by just about any standards. A nice walk around the lake ( about 3 + miles at 5:30 am) followed by some ice tea while reading the morning papers. Didn't do so good on the sunday internet crossword puzzle. This wore me out , so back to bed for 2 hours. Late breakfast / early luch with home made blueberry pancakes and bacon. Followed by an unplanned afternoon siesta while watching golf on tv ( does this put anyone else to sleep besides me?) I gave myself whip lash in my chair. But I was Multi Tasking, reading a book, and allowing one of the cats to turn the pages which she reads randomly, and me leaving wet grey rings to develop on the side table when I apparently misplaced setting down my glass of tea.

I just made a Blt sandwich for dinner, with avocado, arrugula, tomato,onion slice and the best size fresh picked cucumber from the garden. Also some seeded hot pepper, Came out Goopy with parts falling off a seeded bread toast. Otherwise tasty. The only foresight I had all day was to cook some extra bacon. I see there's a whole thread elsewhere about cooking up a package of bacon at a time or somesuch. Sweet. I had a handful of tater chips, which I don't often have, so there's a treat for today.

Can't decide if I want to cut into a watermelon tonight ( probably Yes) since it's well chilled. Maybe later.

The lazy days of summer.

Last edited:
We had tri-tip sandwiches, orange jello,sliced tomatoes,bow tie pasta with butter and salt, stuffed zucchini's and onions. root beer floats for dessert.
kadesma:yum:

Steve cooked tea last night and made us the most delicious homemade chicken schnitzel using Panko breadcrumbs and we also had baked potatoes :)

Chickem%2520Schnitzel.png

Harry, did you see this meal?

I put the photo on especially for you :)

Harry, did you see this meal?

I put the photo on especially for you :)
just seen it k & drop dead deeeeelish it looks too:yum:!! 'bout time tho',how many times did i have to ask you to put up the pics.....same again today young lady,ummmm,not the food the photo's that is:chef:!!

Harry...I LOVE Picpoul!!! Gumbo for dinner (shrimp and sausage)...aren't you proud of me, Uncle Bob? :chef: And a big "hello" to my friends here!
those frenchies DO know how to make a dry white that also tastes of something don't they elf:yum:? also like muscadet,chablis,pouilly fuisse/fume how's about you? thank the lord for the supermarkets over here with their 2 for £10 & 3 for £12 promo's,makes it a lot more painless & affordable.they had a really good australian rose @ £9.99 or 2 for £10 so the second bottle cost one of our shiny british penny's...no brainer!.....mad 'innit:wacko:?
guess gumbo is your version of the paella i cooked tonight? meat,fish & rice....or am i confusing it with something else?

Harry,
That looks great!!
Question..Where'd you get that Tom Terrific hat cover for your skillet?
thanks H!.we enjoyed it!.it comes as a two piece paella/tagine combo.got it in ikea 5 or 6 years ago.get a lot of my kit from there,good quality & affordable.the one in the foreground is a smaller le crueset tagine which i've had for years but,i guess,you get what you pay for:cool:!!.i can pick up the "hat" of the le creuset by the handle at the top with my bare hands when i'm cooking which is what you are meant to be able to do.can't touch the top of the ikea one without o/gloves but it was a third of the price.luckily the le creuset was a present!.
the powder on the right plate is instant mashed potato...got some mussels in water in the fridge....i was feeding 'em to plump them up...works a treat!!

Attachments

• TAGINES & PAELLA 001.JPG
    TAGINES & PAELLA 001.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 153
Harry, Harry, Harry! That meal would surely be the way to any woman's heart! I'm sure the lucky lady will be impressed! If ever I get an opportunity to visit Wales and I do expect to one day.....you may find me on your doorstep drooling!!! Well done and good luck ;-)

We are humbly having pasta with a sausage tomato Alfredo sauce, oven grilled veg, green salad and garlic stuffed artisan bread. There may be homemade raspberry ice cream for dessert if it gets done in time :)
thanks bunny & it was;)!! i wasn't hamming it up when i said it was an easy dish to prepare.it really really is an easy one pot wonder.i think sometimes dishes like paella etc have a mystique built around them,it's just getting together the ingredients you like & cooking rice by the absorption method.90% of the work is in the prep.
you're welcome anytime sb,i'm born/raised in wales & bolas still lives in wales...i visit most weekends.i live in north manchester about 15 mins from manchester airport so i'll pick you up:)!!

thanks H!.we enjoyed it!.it comes as a two piece paella/tagine combo.got it in ikea 5 or 6 years ago.get a lot of my kit from there,good quality & affordable.the one in the foreground is a smaller le crueset tagine which i've had for years but,i guess,you get what you pay for:cool:!!.i can pick up the "hat" of the le creuset by the handle at the top with my bare hands when i'm cooking which is what you are meant to be able to do.can't touch the top of the ikea one without o/gloves but it was a third of the price.luckily the le creuset was a present!.
the powder on the right plate is instant mashed potato...got some mussels in water in the fridge....i was feeding 'em to plump them up...works a treat!!
That is extremely cool, Harry!
I gotta look into gettin' one for Casa de Hoot

That is extremely cool, Harry!
I gotta look into gettin' one for Casa de Hoot
they are the dogs dangly bits hoot.most obvious use is moroccan slow cooking as that's where they originate from,well one of those north african countries anyway.but they are good for any cooking where you want to retain moisture.bl**dy clever when you think those boys have had 'em for centuries.the hat stays cooler than the base so the steam rises off the food,condenses in the hat & drips back into the food,damn clever & they look nice too.don't think you can use them in the oven tho'.mind you it would defeat the object 'cos the hat would be the same temp as the base.
go get one hoot!!

they are the dogs dangly bits hoot.most obvious use is moroccan slow cooking as that's where they originate from,well one of those north african countries anyway.but they are good for any cooking where you want to retain moisture.bl**dy clever when you think those boys have had 'em for centuries.the hat stays cooler than the base so the steam rises off the food,condenses in the hat & drips back into the food,damn clever & they look nice too.don't think you can use them in the oven tho'.mind you it would defeat the object 'cos the hat would be the same temp as the base.
go get one hoot!!
Tagines have been discussed here before. It was pointed out that if you are buying one, make sure it says it is the kind you can use on a stove top. Some are more for decorative purposes.

Tagines have been discussed here before. It was pointed out that if you are buying one, make sure it says it is the kind you can use on a stove top. Some are more for decorative purposes.
Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall they were discussed. The older I get, the more my 'ol brain goes into neutral from time to time...idlin' but goin' no where! :neutral:

Is there some reason to use a tagine over a LeCrueset or Lodge cast iron dutch (French) oven? I don't think one makes a noticeably better or worse braise or stew than the other.

Is there some reason to use a tagine over a LeCrueset or Lodge cast iron dutch (French) oven? I don't think one makes a noticeably better or worse braise or stew than the other.
there isn't really andy.the dutch oven & those oval,enamelled roasters with the dimples in the lid all do the same thing.steam condenses on the lid or "hat" & drips back into the food.beauty of my lecrueset tagine(the smaller red one in the photo) is that you can lift the lid with your bare hands.no need for oven gloves etc.the ikea combo(the black one)doubles as a paella pan.good old ikea eh? forget what his name is tho'...probably bong or bjork or berti knowing ikea:ermm::LOL:!!

Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall they were discussed. The older I get, the more my 'ol brain goes into neutral from time to time...idlin' but goin' no where! :neutral:
correct tax,mine are definitely not for decoration.they both get "harry's hammering" loads throughout the year!!

Back
Top Bottom