"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Harry,
That looks great!!
Question..Where'd you get that Tom Terrific hat cover for your skillet?
thanks H!.we enjoyed it!.it comes as a two piece paella/tagine combo.got it in ikea 5 or 6 years ago.get a lot of my kit from there,good quality & affordable.the one in the foreground is a smaller le crueset tagine which i've had for years but,i guess,you get what you pay for!!.i can pick up the "hat" of the le creuset by the handle at the top with my bare hands when i'm cooking which is what you are meant to be able to do.can't touch the top of the ikea one without o/gloves but it was a third of the price.luckily the le creuset was a present!.
the powder on the right plate is instant mashed potato...got some mussels in water in the fridge....i was feeding 'em to plump them up...works a treat!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAGINES & PAELLA 001.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	14586  

Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Went with mixed veg and baby beets...
looks like it was a big chicken rock,nice combo.....!!

Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Harry, Harry, Harry! That meal would surely be the way to any woman's heart! I'm sure the lucky lady will be impressed! If ever I get an opportunity to visit Wales and I do expect to one day.....you may find me on your doorstep drooling!!! Well done and good luck ;-)

We are humbly having pasta with a sausage tomato Alfredo sauce, oven grilled veg, green salad and garlic stuffed artisan bread. There may be homemade raspberry ice cream for dessert if it gets done in time :)
thanks bunny & it was!! i wasn't hamming it up when i said it was an easy dish to prepare.it really really is an easy one pot wonder.i think sometimes dishes like paella etc have a mystique built around them,it's just getting together the ingredients you like & cooking rice by the absorption method.90% of the work is in the prep.
you're welcome anytime sb,i'm born/raised in wales & bolas still lives in wales...i visit most weekends.i live in north manchester about 15 mins from manchester airport so i'll pick you up!!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
thanks H!.we enjoyed it!.it comes as a two piece paella/tagine combo.got it in ikea 5 or 6 years ago.get a lot of my kit from there,good quality & affordable.the one in the foreground is a smaller le crueset tagine which i've had for years but,i guess,you get what you pay for!!.i can pick up the "hat" of the le creuset by the handle at the top with my bare hands when i'm cooking which is what you are meant to be able to do.can't touch the top of the ikea one without o/gloves but it was a third of the price.luckily the le creuset was a present!.
the powder on the right plate is instant mashed potato...got some mussels in water in the fridge....i was feeding 'em to plump them up...works a treat!!
That is extremely cool, Harry!
I gotta look into gettin' one for Casa de Hoot
Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
That is extremely cool, Harry!
I gotta look into gettin' one for Casa de Hoot
they are the dogs dangly bits hoot.most obvious use is moroccan slow cooking as that's where they originate from,well one of those north african countries anyway.but they are good for any cooking where you want to retain moisture.bl**dy clever when you think those boys have had 'em for centuries.the hat stays cooler than the base so the steam rises off the food,condenses in the hat & drips back into the food,damn clever & they look nice too.don't think you can use them in the oven tho'.mind you it would defeat the object 'cos the hat would be the same temp as the base.
go get one hoot!!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
they are the dogs dangly bits hoot.most obvious use is moroccan slow cooking as that's where they originate from,well one of those north african countries anyway.but they are good for any cooking where you want to retain moisture.bl**dy clever when you think those boys have had 'em for centuries.the hat stays cooler than the base so the steam rises off the food,condenses in the hat & drips back into the food,damn clever & they look nice too.don't think you can use them in the oven tho'.mind you it would defeat the object 'cos the hat would be the same temp as the base.
go get one hoot!!
Tagines have been discussed here before. It was pointed out that if you are buying one, make sure it says it is the kind you can use on a stove top. Some are more for decorative purposes.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Tagines have been discussed here before. It was pointed out that if you are buying one, make sure it says it is the kind you can use on a stove top. Some are more for decorative purposes.
Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall they were discussed. The older I get, the more my 'ol brain goes into neutral from time to time...idlin' but goin' no where!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Is there some reason to use a tagine over a LeCrueset or Lodge cast iron dutch (French) oven? I don't think one makes a noticeably better or worse braise or stew than the other.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Is there some reason to use a tagine over a LeCrueset or Lodge cast iron dutch (French) oven? I don't think one makes a noticeably better or worse braise or stew than the other.
there isn't really andy.the dutch oven & those oval,enamelled roasters with the dimples in the lid all do the same thing.steam condenses on the lid or "hat" & drips back into the food.beauty of my lecrueset tagine(the smaller red one in the photo) is that you can lift the lid with your bare hands.no need for oven gloves etc.the ikea combo(the black one)doubles as a paella pan.good old ikea eh? forget what his name is tho'...probably bong or bjork or berti knowing ikea!!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Quote:
Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall they were discussed. The older I get, the more my 'ol brain goes into neutral from time to time...idlin' but goin' no where!
correct tax,mine are definitely not for decoration.they both get "harry's hammering" loads throughout the year!!