"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 05-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer
Question What is the most expensive food item?

We all know that saffron is the most expensive spice. What I would like to know is what is the most expensive single food item period. If I had to guess then I would pick some sort of truffle, but that is just a guess. Does anyone know something that is more expensive?

Mint Tsai was just talking about white truffles and was saying they can go to $2,000/lb.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Maybe certain types of caviar?

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Beluga caviar is the most expensive (it's usually between $150-$300 per oz depending on quality and availability) but I don't use it for the same reason I stopped using Chilean Seabass (Patagonian Toothfish): overfishing and poaching. The Chilean Seabass population has actually been better due to joint international conservation efforts, but the same needs to be done in order to help the beluga sturgeon population.

White truffles can average between $1,200 to $2,400 per pound depending on quality, availability, harvest yield, etc. You can buy single white truffles for about $60-$100 depending on the above factors. The problem with buying single truffles is that it's a crapshoot. You might end up with a "dud", a truffle that is less aromatic and intense in flavor than others of the same harvest. Domestic truffles from Oregon and Washington state are far cheaper than those from Italy or France, but they don't have the same flavors and aromatics. I've seen white truffles from Oregon going for about $25-$50 for a single truffle.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Contest Winner
matsutake mushrooms and abalone are quite expensive.. but I think IC is correct with the cavier and truffles.
~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
Master Chef
I would also agree that "imported wild" caviar & truffles are probably neck & neck. That doesn't necessarily hold true, however, for all the new farmed caviars now available; or for the new domestic cultivated black truffles finding there way into the markets these days.

I also think that edible gold & silver leaf used in fancy cooking are also way way up there alongside wild caviar & truffles.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
Sous Chef
"If I were on death row, I would pick the world's rarest truffle for my last meal. That way I could escape while they were searching for the world's rarest truffle."
-Dale, King of The Hill

Heh, sorry it just made me think of that.
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Wasnt the most expensive thing the cake from Steinfeld? I think it was a piece of cake from 18th Century royalty.
-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
Master Chef
YES - lol!! "Seinfeld" was/is one of my favorite sitcoms & I remember that episode well. J. Peterman buys a piece of wedding cake from, I think, the Duke of Windsor/Mrs. Wallis Simpson wedding, at auction for thousands of dollars, & Elaine gets a "cake craving" & eats it.

The parting shot was particularly good. Her boss, "J. Peterman" (of the famous catalog company) tells her that he's not going to fire her, that the effect of decades-old butter frosting in her stomach is going to be punishment enough - lol!!!
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to RDG
White truffles, in big sizes, are now more than 5000 (6500USD) in Italy.....
RDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #10
I've never tasted truffles or caviar, so don't really know what all the fuss is about. Are they really that good?

cloudybutnice is offline   Reply With Quote