"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
Sous Chef
Alligator, goat, antelope, tongue come to mind. None are that unsual, but you don't find them in the grocery store every day!

Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Kangaroo....really. I grilled it like a small steak, and I remember it being rather tough.

ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
Master Chef
A completely raw seafood meal in Pusan Korea that tasted terrible to me, was the strangest meal I've ever eaten. And balut in the Phillipines isn't cooked. It's a egg, chicken usually, with the chicken partially formed inside, and burried for two years. Then it's dug up, the egg-shell is broken, and the insides are sucked down. Nope, I couldn't bring myself to try that one. And I'm a very adventurous eater.

Oh, wait. The strangest thing I ever ate was as a 9 year old child, when a buddy talked me into roasting an earthworm in a burning paper milk carton that I had just emptied, and then eating the worm. That is by far the most horific flavor I've ever had in my mouth.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
ďNo amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the homeÖ"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
Master Chef
Gee, I have to think about really strange or adventures foods, it’s been years, more like decades, since I’ve tried anything like that.

The only thing I can think of would be Turtle soup which was excellent, pigeons in many forms, my grandma used to make them all the time, taste like chicken or even better. Oh, here I remember really weird stuff Yong Hedgehog soup and grilled squirrel, I did not like very much, though soup had very interesting flavor. I suppose the frog legs are not that weird, neither is crocodile or snakes. I suppose nutria can qualify as weird, but taste really good if done right it taste like rabbit.

I actually have to agree about ostrich meat, I had number of times and never liked it.
But what I do like is wild game, if done right it’s yum. But again, the last time I’ve tasted anything remotely weird was at least 25 years ago.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Gee, I have to think about really strange or adventures foods, itís been years, more like decades, since Iíve tried anything like that.

The only thing I can think of would be Turtle soup which was excellent
(politely snipped for space)

About 10 years ago, hubby and I went down to Brennan's in New Orleans and had absolutely the most fantastic breakfast. And it started with a bowl of Turtle Soup with a very very generous shot of sherry. What a way to start your day!! Thanks for reminding me of that, Charlie!!! I guess that's about as adventurous as I get, although I have had emu, and liked it, but I think I liked the sauce better.

Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap, she's up".
katybar22 is offline   Reply With Quote