What is "typical" American food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:)I also was thinking chicken fried steak.Is he there just for one meal or more.If he will be there for more Chili with beans and corn bread.And actually even though Mexican isnt really original it is an American favorite.They do it different in England so Im thinking snack stuff,lunches and breakfasts depending how long he is there.OOh peanut butter and jelly.The list goes on and on.

JP, I forgot about beans and cornbread. I loved that as a kid. It was always navy beans with some strips of bacon cooked in with the beans and there was always plenty of butter and jelly to go on the cornbread. I think it's pretty American.

Before I think about recipes, I would certainly make sure he gets to a clam shack. At least for a snack.

As someone who has lived in New England and adores the food, I would go with lobster, but bake and stuff them.

Sweet corn and lobster, oh yeah, and maybe some steamers, cannot get more American than that. Can finish off with Indian pudding.

Now we live in VA. Would probably start with crab cakes. Then a Smithfield type ham - a country ham - in steak form with red eye gravy. Maybe some sauteed sweet taters. And greens cooked with bacon. Oh yeah, and biscuits.

Finish with an apple pie.

Just a few ideas.

Before I think about recipes, I would certainly make sure he gets to a clam shack. At least for a snack.

As someone who has lived in New England and adores the food, I would go with lobster, but bake and stuff them.

Sweet corn and lobster, oh yeah, and maybe some steamers, cannot get more American than that. Can finish off with Indian pudding.

Now we live in VA. Would probably start with crab cakes. Then a Smithfield type ham - a country ham - in steak form with red eye gravy. Maybe some sauteed sweet taters. And greens cooked with bacon. Oh yeah, and biscuits.

Finish with an apple pie.

Just a few ideas.
I loved the food in New England too, but the ham steak sounds fabulous!!! I haven't had that in so long - I'm putting it on my grocery list today. Would you mind posting how to make the sauteed sweet potatoes because that sounds perfect with the ham.
Terry

"American" Food

You know what? If I were you I'd make whatever the heck I wanted. Frankly, the U.S. is such a melting pot that trying to make up a menu that's "strictly" American is nearly impossible. Northern U.S.? Southern U.S.? The MidWest? The West Coast?

Not to mention your guest's preferences. I mean really - he only "tolerates" turkey at Thanksgiving (which isn't even a British holiday by the way - lol). There may be other things he doesn't "tolerate", & it would be a shame to prepare a clambake, lobsters, boiled dinner, etc., & find out that his Nibs doesn't like that.

What's also funny is that in the UK they're almost as much of a melting pot as we are. In fact, a friend of mine over there eats regularly at the local Indian restaurants.

Sorry if this sounds snarky, but I hate it when I'm forced into something like this. While I always try to cater to what I know guests' preferences are, if I'm cooking blind, blind is what they get (although it's always good :chef:).

Breezy, it is not the guest who only tolerates turkey at Thanksgiving. It is the OP's DH.

She is trying to make whatever the heck she wants LOL. What she wants to make is something American that he can't easily find where he is from. She is not looking for something "strictly" American, just something that is special to this country. That is my understanding at least. I think it is a really nice and kind and welcoming thing to do. I would be honored if I were visiting another country and my hosts went through the trouble to feed me things that are special for that area instead of just making some standard fare I could get anywhere. That is just me though.

Last edited:
When i saw you were in Maine, my first thought was serve him something with maple syrup. Pancakes, waffles, crepes, anything! Preferably with blueberries on top.:)

You are right GB. Got me thinking already. I love the lobstah idea but NE dinner may be nice since it seems to be chilly here this week. I thought of turkey dinner (like Thanksgiving) but my dh talked me out if since he only tolerates it on Thanksgiving.
:)Not to be disrespectful but maybe DH should make and exception and you can make him a porkchop or something to go along with meal.

My daughter's bf is visiting from England. I am preparing dinner Wednesday night for him.

Wednesday is tomorrow!! Just curious...what have you decided upon?

If you've already posted your final thoughts, I missed it. I know you posted a possible menu, but wasn't sure if it was final or not.

First off Thanks GB for clearing up some misread issues. Second I am only looking for a little friendly advice not what I should or should not feed my dh.

Ps8, thanks for asking. I decided against lobster since he has never had one and I thought to costly to not like. I am making stuffed jalapeno, cream cheese rolled in brown sugar and strawberries, guacamole. For the meal I decided to bbq. Assorted meats (chicken, sausage, ribs) corn on the cob, baked potatoes with toppings, coleslaw and fruit salad. Dessert is.....(drum roll)....Banana pudding!

Oh yeah.....Thanks everyone for your input. Gives me some ideas for my own upcoming meals (thinking ham now)

He will be thrilled with that meal. How could he now? Make sure to let us know just how much he loved it :)

Even in england these burgers are very difficult to find however I found at New York Pizza http://nype.just-eat.co.uk and the taste was amazing...:chef:

Burgers on the grill.

Also, there are ethnic based dishes that are really American creations. Spaghetti and meatballs comes to mind and, I think, veal or chicken Parm is in that category.

Chili con carne.

Barbecue!!!

Fried Chicken

Clam bake

First off Thanks GB for clearing up some misread issues. Second I am only looking for a little friendly advice not what I should or should not feed my dh.

Ps8, thanks for asking. I decided against lobster since he has never had one and I thought to costly to not like. I am making stuffed jalapeno, cream cheese rolled in brown sugar and strawberries, guacamole. For the meal I decided to bbq. Assorted meats (chicken, sausage, ribs) corn on the cob, baked potatoes with toppings, coleslaw and fruit salad. Dessert is.....(drum roll)....Banana pudding!
Oooooh Elaine, that sounds wonderful!!! Your guest will never want to leave! And by offering an assortment of meats for your BBQ, you can be sure a favorite will be in there. Be sure and let us know how he liked it.
Terry

Again thanks everyone for your interest. Dinner was wonderful (if I do say so myself!) He loved it. Great company, great food, great time. I will say I am a little tired today. Next time we all go out (before he leaves) it will be pizza.

YAHOO!!! How was it? Did you (and everyone else) like the banana pudding???? Granted you need to like bananas in the first place, but how did it go????:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom