What is "typical" American food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now this is a great post at a great time, I have a friend in from the Netherlands (who happens to be a chef) now also. Has has cooked a few very special dinners for us the past few nights and Sat is my turn. He has been all over the world cooking so this gets harder to make something special but I will head to the market in the morning and see what I come up with.,......

stuffed jalapeno, cream cheese rolled in brown sugar and strawberries, guacamole
:ohmy: Is that in a layered casserole form? I think the strawberries would look MUCH better on top than the guacamole :-p

Another YEA for the banana pudding! Your meal sounds awesome!

Update. Now the bf is back in the states and will have his first Thanksgiving. Lucky for me this time I am not cooking (will be my brother)

Now I am pleased to announce that he proposed to my dd. Do you think it was my cooking that did it? hehe

The shortest way INTO a man's heart is through his stomach.

The shortest way TO a man's heart is through the rib cage.

It all depends on what you're planning to do. ;)

You must do BBQ! Ribs and pulled pork are great. Beef brisket is a winner. Hamburgers and Pizza are also iconic to the US. A Philly Cheese steak would be great.

But, I imagine everything I just mentioned is available in England.

You might want to go with more “local flavors” instead of US traditional since most of what is traditionally iconic here can be found elsewhere. By local flavors, I mean dishes that are special to the east coast or west cost, or mid-west, the south, the north, etc.

How about Banana Pudding for dessert....I love that stuff!

I like Keltin's ideas. But I have to add one thing to them, Boston Baked Beans, made of course with few chunks of that pork before it's pulled, for flavor, and real maple syrup. Nothing is more American, especially in the midwest/Massachusettes region than baked beans. Yum.

But then again, chili, or New England Boiled Dinner are both great as well. Ah, what the heck; go with the beans and pulled pork. I'm making pulled pork for New Years Eve, cooked on the Webber (in the snow) with apple wood chunks.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Congratulations, Elaine on acquiring a "new son". I'm sure that your cooking and hospitality and kindness (the fact that you asked for advice showed that you cared) all helped to make a great impression. Any date set yet?

We work for a British company and I can tell you from experience when serving dinner, most really enjoyed a good grilled steak. Most also like Tex-Mex (like fajitas)---don't know the availability of your ingredients are, however.

Anwyay, congratulations again. :)

Sorry, I posted before reading the entire thread. Wish I could have been here sooner. But in any case, the dinner was a huge success, from what I've read, and your meal sounded wonderful. Congrats. And congrats on the wedding proposal for your daughter.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom