What is "typical" American food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
My daughter's bf is visiting from England. I am preparing dinner Wednesday night for him. In deciding what to make for dinner that was special to the U.S.A. I realize I really didn't know. When she visited England his mom made her several dishes that she had never had (like Yorkshire pudding) Other than hot dogs and apple pie what else could I do?

Since you are in MA, how about a New England boiled dinner or maybe steam up some lobstahs with corn on the cobs.

You are right GB. Got me thinking already. I love the lobstah idea but NE dinner may be nice since it seems to be chilly here this week. I thought of turkey dinner (like Thanksgiving) but my dh talked me out if since he only tolerates it on Thanksgiving.

Burgers on the grill.

Also, there are ethnic based dishes that are really American creations. Spaghetti and meatballs comes to mind and, I think, veal or chicken Parm is in that category.

Chili con carne.

Barbecue!!!

Fried Chicken

Clam bake

You must do BBQ! Ribs and pulled pork are great. Beef brisket is a winner. Hamburgers and Pizza are also iconic to the US. A Philly Cheese steak would be great.

But, I imagine everything I just mentioned is available in England.

You might want to go with more “local flavors” instead of US traditional since most of what is traditionally iconic here can be found elsewhere. By local flavors, I mean dishes that are special to the east coast or west cost, or mid-west, the south, the north, etc.

How about Banana Pudding for dessert....I love that stuff!

Fried chicken, cream gravy, mashed potatoes, chunky applesauce, buttered peas, rolls or biscuits and butter, and chocolate cake or banana cream pie for dessert. Oh, crap. I just made myself hungry for this meal.:ohmy:

I think Chicken Fried Steak is an American food. Served with mashed taters, gravy, green beans...yumm!

I think Chicken Fried Steak is an American food. Served with mashed taters, gravy, green beans...yumm!
Oooooh, now I'm hungry! Yep, we make some fine chicken fried steaks here in the US. And I think it's illegal to serve them with anything but mashed potatoes & gravy and green beans - at least here in Texas! (Don't forget the biscuits or rolls.)

Wow all great ideas! What is banana pudding? I did think of doing banana splits for dessert but that pudding sounds interesting since I dislike scooping ice cream. My daughter took him to a bbq place and said he just loved it.

Would deviled eggs be something? I wanted to start with appetziers.

Just thinking....how does this menu sound

BBQ brisket/fried chicken (oven variety I just saw on this forum)
corn
chili
coleslaw or salad?
potato salad
corn bread

banana pudding (if I find out what it is!)

There will be eight of us.

Well, they have KFC (great fried chicken) in England, and mashed potatoes with onion gravy is incredibly popular. A big favorite being “bangers and mash” (sausages over mashed potatoes and onion gravy).

Chicken fried steak with white gravy, now that would be different!

Last edited:
Wow all great ideas! What is banana pudding? I did think of doing banana splits for dessert but that pudding sounds interesting since I dislike scooping ice cream. My daughter took him to a bbq place and said he just loved it.

Would deviled eggs be something? I wanted to start with appetziers.

Just thinking....how does this menu sound

BBQ brisket/fried chicken (oven variety I just saw on this forum)
corn
chili
coleslaw or salad?
potato salad
corn bread

banana pudding (if I find out what it is!)

There will be eight of us.
Elaine, If you buy a box of Nilla Vanilla Wafers (cookies), there is a really good recipe for banana pudding on it. It really just calls for Vanilla pudding mix, bananas and vanilla wafers. I can't remember the amounts but here are 2 hints - always use the cooked kind of pudding, not the instant, and use 2 or 3 times the amount of bananas the recipe calls for. You're gonna love this!!!

Oooooh, now I'm hungry! Yep, we make some fine chicken fried steaks here in the US. And I think it's illegal to serve them with anything but mashed potatoes & gravy and green beans - at least here in Texas! (Don't forget the biscuits or rolls.)

oooh! I forgot all about the rolls! Can't have this meal without good, hot, buttered rolls. Oh, my! What a heavenly meal this is!

Oh wow, banana pudding is food from heaven! It’s made with ripe bananas, nilla wafers, a pudding sauce all topped with a meringue, baked and lightly browned. It can be eaten warm or cold. I don’t’ have a recipe since my grandmother always made and I’m not very good at baking (never had much interest in it).

But, a friend of mine made a Banana Pudding following the recipe that is on the box of Nilla Wafers from Nabisco. I haven't looked at a box of Nilla Wafers in a long time, so I don't know if they still put that recipe on there or not.

Maybe someone here has a good recipe....but whatever you do, do NOT use a prefab (out of a box) pudding....you must make the pudding from scratch for it to taste right!

Last edited:
Elaine, If you buy a box of Nilla Vanilla Wafers (cookies), there is a really good recipe for banana pudding on it. It really just calls for Vanilla pudding mix, bananas and vanilla wafers. I can't remember the amounts but here are 2 hints - always use the cooked kind of pudding, not the instant, and use 2 or 3 times the amount of bananas the recipe calls for. You're gonna love this!!!

LOL! You've had that recipe too?!?! It's good isn't it. Nearly as good as grand-ma used to make.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom