"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-30-2004, 05:07 PM   #11
Everymom

Conga line! You know me so well buckytom! That picture of me posted so long ago is me in the conga line behind the bride. CON GA CON GA! Woohoo...I am feeling the need to party...whos with me!

Old 11-30-2004, 05:38 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Party on, Alix.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:02 AM   #13
Master Chef

I'm pretty casual myself.............people tend to come to my house kick off their shoes and lay back and enjoy the moment. Most people end up gathering either in my kitchen or family room whenever I have a get together.........they are one open space but different levels. I don't fuss..........except when it comes to cleaning prior .......when it comes to the food I keep it pretty simple and don't fret over it. I figure if they don't like what I serve there's a Wendy's or Arby's just down the way they can hit when they leave All kidding aside JRsTXDeb..........I don't do anything different (except fix bigger helpings) then I would if I were to invite 5 of my closest friends over. I think the more relaxed you are the better. I'd just prepare a variety of appetizers that would appeal to most anyone.
The main thing is keep it simple so you don't get frazzled and just relax and have fun. Spend time with each guest at various times throughout the evening to let them know your glad they came.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:15 AM   #14
Head Chef

SizzlininIn hit it just right. I have a small home and have had parties for 20+ and we all had a great time. My key to a successful large or small party is organization. Do as much ahead of time as possible and put out the food and drinks ( presentation is important) then relax, and enjoy.

Hope your party is a huge success.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #15
Senior Cook

well it sounds like I'm on track! I've been to parties [usually higher ranking military] where everyone seems so stiff...then to others where everybody relaxes, finds their spot and just enjoys the company. I didn't know if it was related to the hostess being relaxed or if there was some special recipe for success! I am planning roast pork tenderloin and a deli tray of meat and cheese with some sort of little roll for sandwiches, a marinated veggie/antipasto type tray - in small quantities to replace often, the typical veggies, tamales/chili...I like the idea of putting stuff around the different areas...most everyone will end up hanging out in the kitchen [my six foot son stretched out on top of the island with room to spare all around]....so I plan to beg, borrow, steal a few extra bar stools! Then I'll use the local deli for a few pre-made things to fill in - a few typical for our group and some things that no one else would think to serve [variety of olives for one thing...] Okay - I can look forward to it now - will be checking the recipe sites for more ideas.
Thanks everybody!
Old 12-01-2004, 09:20 AM   #16
Master Chef

Sounds like a good plan JRsTXDeb..............have a great time.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:19 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
party

First of all relax! If you are relaxed and enjoying yourself your guests will too.

Do as much as possible the day before.
Don't be shy, ask for help! Ask a friend or relative to come an hour early to help set things up. You'll both enjoy the time together. Don't forget to make hubby do a few things!

Don't worry about the conversations, with 20 people that'll take care of itself.

If you're going to be serving lots of food... try to set it up so that the you have a varity of foods in different places. This will spread the crowds out some.

Don't offer a million kinds of drinks. Just a few.

for large crowds *and 20 is large* I try to stick with just finger foods. Less dishes and less mess. Unless, it's a fancy sit down dinner I use paper plates and plastic forks and cups. Anything that makes it easier on you before and after the party is a good thing.

That's all I can think of now... but, I'll post again if anything pops into my brain.

smiles, T
Old 12-01-2004, 03:55 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Ice and toilet paper. Buy in quantity. Relax and have fun.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:58 PM   #19
Everymom

LOL mudbug.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

i wanna party with the bug!!!! i'm kinda scared, but it sounds like it could be fun...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote