"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
well that`s it you see, UKers don`t consider Lager as beer, it`s Lager, beer and Ale are totally different :)

And most domestic US beers are, well, can we say weasel piss here?

and I don't think that Guiness is over rated at all, in fact, it sets the par for what a lot of Stouts aim to be like. Murphy's is a Great one too.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I agree, American beer is pretty much piss for lack of a better description. I agree Guiness is a good stout and I do use it to measure other stouts, it just one of those drinks that people get all snooty about and when they say they know beer, that's the only word out of their mouth. There is more to a fermeted beverage than a stout. If I go into a Irish Pub, I usually get a Harp.

The micro brews like Flying Dog are quite good, for an american beer. I'm a little off Dutch and even Danish beers, for example Heiniken, Amstel, I like Grolsch, I am off Carlsberg and Tuborg, besides the only good Carlsberg and Tuborg you can get is in Denmark. Anyone try the Czechvar? It is made by the Czech Budweiser family, and unlike the American piss version, Czechvar is quite good, though rumor has it that Bud bought them out, can anyone confirm this?

Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
And most domestic US beers are, well, can we say weasel piss here?

and I don't think that Guiness is over rated at all, in fact, it sets the par for what a lot of Stouts aim to be like. Murphy's is a Great one too.
yeah I`ve tried some US "beers" weasel pi$$ is about accurate :)
although for Lagers I do like Coors (sp?).

Murphys is a good one I agree, beamish is also ok to drink but for some reason gives me the Trotskis the next day?

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #14
Head Chef

anything buy anchor is good with me ..
Old 06-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #15
Sous Chef

#1 Guinness draught - NOT the waaay bitter crappy stout, rather, draught, especially when the beer is drawn in Dublin. They have a saying, "When the Guinness crosses the Irish Channel, it loses its taste". I agree. Also, pay attention to the spelling - two n's in Guinness.

#2 Chimay Blue, the supreme beer of Begium
Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #16
Head Chef

Asking for a favorite beer is like asking for a favorite (Scotch) whisky or wine, there are so many great ones.

One I sorely miss is XXX, yep Tres Equis. It was a Mexican beer made by the same folks who bring us XX, but it was darker and a bit heavier.

Used to drink it in northern Mexico and in CA and Arizona, and even in Chicago. But then it disappeared. It was a darned good substantial beer.

Not a stout at all, but it sure was tasty.

My fallback beer is Heineken.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlineCooking
Anyone try the Czechvar? It is made by the Czech Budweiser family, and unlike the American piss version, Czechvar is quite good, though rumor has it that Bud bought them out, can anyone confirm this?
Actually, there is a trademark lawsuit going on right now. No purchase that I know of. On the funny side of it, as junked up as AB Bud is, I believe it is the number one selling bottled beer in Europe - talk about the power of marketing. Jeesh!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:16 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I have to admit that I love my ale. I've tried most every beer or ale that the liquor and beer store has to offer at least once. That includes everything from the rotten taste of Old Speckled Hen to the very foreign taste of Sapporo!

After all the ups and downs... I'd have to say that Boddington's is my favorite. It's smooth texture, full yet not overpowering flavour and large can (the best part) make it second to none!

However, for those who like full flavoured lagers or pilsners, I definately recommend something called Czecvar (I think that's how it's spelt). It's an old Czec beer with great flavour. It's pretty difficult to find but the liquor board here in town is nice enough to order it for me!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #19
Head Chef

I am a big fan of IPAs.
The hoppier the better!

However, since I am somewhat of a skinflint,
I generally drink Saranac Pale Ale, Long Hammer IPA or
what's on sale.

Course, I also like a good stout, black and tan, wheat,
ale... ;)
Old 06-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Oh now we're talking.... Can I mention a lager?

I like Tsingtao from China the best - it's so tasty and crispy. U can get it from any good chinatown :)