What is your favorite Beer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OnlineCooking

Washing Up
Every year, my mother in law comes to town and each time we buy a lot of beer. This year we came across a really nice beer out of Denver, Flying Dog. If you like a really bitter beer, The Pale Ale and the Golden ale are fantastic.

They have fantastic names for each of their brews,
  • Doggie Style Pale Ale - nice and bitter but with a really good finish. Goes well with just about any food.
  • In Heat Wheat - its their Hefeweisen, I haven't tried it yet, as far as Hefe's go I am particular to Paulaner.
  • Old Scratch Amber Larger - Again, bitter but with a pleasant maltiness to it.
  • Road Dog Scottish Porter - its on my list to try next.
  • Tire Bite Golden Ale - I really liked this, tasted good with the chicken I spit roasted last night.
  • Snake Dog IPA - Haven't tried this one but it is on my list to try next.
There's only one place in Wheaton MD I can get it, luckily its close by.

Last year's favorite was Warsteiner, a nice bitter German beer. At the beginning of the summer the favored beer was the Sierra Nevada.

So what's your favorite beer?

Stella Artoris for something light
Guinness for something rich
Murphys or Boddingtons for something creamy and smooth
Purple haze or a good Lambic for something sweet
Widmere hefewiezen for the Summer time goodness
Sierra Nevada Pale ale for all purpose needs

I like all the one you have listed with the exception of the porter, not that big a fan.

Guiness I find to be over rated, mind you there is a time and place for it. I only drink stout when it gets colder, I like my pilsners, lagers, and IPA's too much

Boag's premium
Crown Lager
Golden Pippin
Belgian fruit beers in summer - Fruli, Kriek, Peche, Framboise

well that`s it you see, UKers don`t consider Lager as beer, it`s Lager, beer and Ale are totaly different :)

The beer of the country I happen to be in at the time, as long it's not the United States. I like San Miguel IN the Pilipines, and I like Molson's IN Canada, and I like Carte Blanca IN Mexico, and I like Banks or Red Stripe IN the Caribbean. The swill they deport to the U.S. is pastuerized and alcohol controlled (by U.S. law, so it's not THEIR fault) and tastes completely different, and not in a good way either!

In the U.S., some of Sam Adams' varieties aren't TOO bad, and certain local microbrews, i.e. Anchor Steam Ale in San Francisco, I find acceptable. but all in all, Government regulation and control has ruined beer here, pretty much just like it ruins everything else.

Last edited:
YT2095 said:
well that`s it you see, UKers don`t consider Lager as beer, it`s Lager, beer and Ale are totally different :)

And most domestic US beers are, well, can we say weasel piss here?

and I don't think that Guiness is over rated at all, in fact, it sets the par for what a lot of Stouts aim to be like. Murphy's is a Great one too.

I agree, American beer is pretty much piss for lack of a better description. I agree Guiness is a good stout and I do use it to measure other stouts, it just one of those drinks that people get all snooty about and when they say they know beer, that's the only word out of their mouth. There is more to a fermeted beverage than a stout. If I go into a Irish Pub, I usually get a Harp.

The micro brews like Flying Dog are quite good, for an american beer. I'm a little off Dutch and even Danish beers, for example Heiniken, Amstel, I like Grolsch, I am off Carlsberg and Tuborg, besides the only good Carlsberg and Tuborg you can get is in Denmark. Anyone try the Czechvar? It is made by the Czech Budweiser family, and unlike the American piss version, Czechvar is quite good, though rumor has it that Bud bought them out, can anyone confirm this?

TATTRAT said:
And most domestic US beers are, well, can we say weasel piss here?

and I don't think that Guiness is over rated at all, in fact, it sets the par for what a lot of Stouts aim to be like. Murphy's is a Great one too.

yeah I`ve tried some US "beers" weasel pi$$ is about accurate :)
although for Lagers I do like Coors (sp?).

Murphys is a good one I agree, beamish is also ok to drink but for some reason gives me the Trotskis the next day?

#1 Guinness draught - NOT the waaay bitter crappy stout, rather, draught, especially when the beer is drawn in Dublin. They have a saying, "When the Guinness crosses the Irish Channel, it loses its taste". I agree. Also, pay attention to the spelling - two n's in Guinness. ;)

#2 Chimay Blue, the supreme beer of Begium

Asking for a favorite beer is like asking for a favorite (Scotch) whisky or wine, there are so many great ones.

One I sorely miss is XXX, yep Tres Equis. It was a Mexican beer made by the same folks who bring us XX, but it was darker and a bit heavier.

Used to drink it in northern Mexico and in CA and Arizona, and even in Chicago. But then it disappeared. It was a darned good substantial beer.

Not a stout at all, but it sure was tasty.

My fallback beer is Heineken.

OnlineCooking said:
Anyone try the Czechvar? It is made by the Czech Budweiser family, and unlike the American piss version, Czechvar is quite good, though rumor has it that Bud bought them out, can anyone confirm this?

Actually, there is a trademark lawsuit going on right now. No purchase that I know of. On the funny side of it, as junked up as AB Bud is, I believe it is the number one selling bottled beer in Europe - talk about the power of marketing. Jeesh!

I have to admit that I love my ale. I've tried most every beer or ale that the liquor and beer store has to offer at least once. That includes everything from the rotten taste of Old Speckled Hen to the very foreign taste of Sapporo!

After all the ups and downs... :neutral: I'd have to say that Boddington's is my favorite. It's smooth texture, full yet not overpowering flavour and large can (the best part) make it second to none!

However, for those who like full flavoured lagers or pilsners, I definately recommend something called Czecvar (I think that's how it's spelt). It's an old Czec beer with great flavour. It's pretty difficult to find but the liquor board here in town is nice enough to order it for me! :)

I am a big fan of IPAs.
The hoppier the better!

However, since I am somewhat of a skinflint,
I generally drink Saranac Pale Ale, Long Hammer IPA or
what's on sale.

Course, I also like a good stout, black and tan, wheat,
ale... ;)

Oh now we're talking.... Can I mention a lager?

I like Tsingtao from China the best - it's so tasty and crispy. U can get it from any good chinatown :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom