"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 01-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Yeah, I wish I was his kind of broke!
Yeah me too!

"Tis an ill cook that cannot lick his own fingers"
~ William Shakespeare
Noodlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #22
Executive Chef
I guess Sam's is my favorite place for groceries now. We used to have Albertson's, and I loved them. Now, I get the things I can't get at Sam's at our Super WalMart.

Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:10 PM   #23
Head Chef
We have a small local chain here called Food Depot. I buy most of my meats there because they are cheaper than the other stores but for other things, I use Sam's Club and Kroger. My bread I buy at the local Flowers Bakery Thrift Store.
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #24
Master Chef
Where I live most folks shop at WinCo for staple items. I like their meats and produce. Also, they carry my favorite brand of taco sauce. I also shop at Raley's or Safeway depending on the town I am shopping in. Since a town of any significant size is over 40 miles away, if I have to go in on any errands I also do some shopping.

The local grocey store is OK for the basics like regular produce (no bean sprouts, pea pods, etc.), milk, bread, etc. They jack up the prices of most items, because they have a captive market, so I try to limit my shopping at the local store.

If I get an opportunity I like to shop at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. But I watch what I buy at those stores because their items can be guite pricey.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #25
Executive Chef
Depending on the item being purchased- King Kullen (Bridgehampton), IGA (Sag Harbor), Best Yet (Riverhead), Fairway (NYC), BJ's, Costco. Quality and variety available in many chains seems to vary based on location of store.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #26
Senior Cook
Whole Foods for me, too. Trader Joe's is pretty great for some things, and in our area, we have New Leaf. New Leaf is out of Santa Cruz and they just opened up a store here and it's wonderful. They buy local produce (within 100 miles), sell Smart Chicken (I'll never buy anything else) and Harris Ranch Never Never meats, and the prices really aren't that bad. They have a nice, informative website, too. The whole community is so excited to have them here because all we had was Safeway (a very poorly run one, at that), and a mom and pop store that had been in the town for 100 years, but was sold to someone that no one can stand, even though it's a pretty cool store.
HMGgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #27
Head Chef
the fresh market ...
dont go there as much as i would like ..
but the stuff is great ..
love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #28
Head Chef
South Eastern Ontario is very much a farm laden area. I love farmers markets in the warm months. I just buy baskets of fresh local produce.. Mmmmmmmm! The best I've had is homegrown garlic, which was 10x more potent and delicious than store bought imported.
Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #29
Master Chef
I have to admit that I feel extremely lucky to live where I do. While my property is in a delightfully rural farm area, within a reasonable shopping distance (between 10 & 40 minutes) I can choose from Super WalMart, Super Target, Safeway, Giant, Food Lion, Bloom, Aldi, Harris Teeter, Wegman's, & CostCo. A little further away (45 to 60 minutes) I can hit Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, & several large ethnic supermarkets. I don't normally jump around while doing regular grocery shopping - I go to the store that has the most of what I want/need for the best deals that week. But on the whole, this is how I feel about the bunch:

Super WalMart - Just 10 minutes away, this is my "go to" place for most of my basic shopping. Prices, selection, quality, & customer service are excellent.

Food Lion & Bloom - both stores are owned by the same company, Bloom being just an upscale version of Food Lion. Not crazy about Bloom, but our local Food Lion has terrific sales on all parts/types of Perdue-brand chicken weekly. They also stock a wide variety of fresh mushrooms.

Giant & Safeway - Good quality; somewhat pricey unless one is buying weekly sale items.

CostCo - my "go to" place for bulk toilet paper, paper towels, cat litter, nuts, otc pharmaceuticals, you name it.

Harris Teeter - pricey, but carries an extremely wide selection of brands, has good sales, & has an excellent seafood & produce department. Terrific customer service.

Wegman's - we just got blessed with this one this past November, & it truly IS a blessing. FABULOUS in every way you can imagine. Seafood department is extraordinary, quickly followed by the tremendous cheese, bread, seafood, deli, frozen foods, etc., etc., etc. There's NOTHING I don't like about this store. Customer service excellent beyond belief. VERY reasonable prices.

Aldi - you couldn't pay me to step foot in our local Aldi again. It's a dirty, depressing little store that I consider an insult to our community & to the people who have to shop there due to necessity.

Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, & ethnic markets - since all of these are a bit farther away, I only hit them once in awhile. I consider them all pretty much "specialty markets", & shop there when I'm in the area more for fun, special items, & to try new things than for regular shopping.

Super Target - haven't shopped there yet.

And of course in the summer I regularly patronize our local farmers market every week to supplement whatever I'm growing myself.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #30
Wow Breezy,you have lots of options! We did finally get a Trader Joe's for which I'm glad but it'd be nice if Tennessee allowed the sale of wine in grocery store chains. Everytime we go out of town we like to go to Trader Joe's and pick up some Two Buck Chuck savignon blanc,its very similar in taste to a more pricy pinot grigios that I've had.

"Tis an ill cook that cannot lick his own fingers"
~ William Shakespeare
Noodlehead is offline   Reply With Quote