"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-22-2004, 01:49 PM   #11
Hospitality Queen

Best: Morton's
Macaroni Grill
and for lunch, Souplantation
and I do like Outback's filet mignon & bloomin onion
Worst: McDonalds, Wendy's, Denny's, Applebees
(I believe the theory that all of the latter have the same taste, no matter what they call the food)

Old 10-22-2004, 01:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Worst: McDonalds, Wendy's, Denny's, Applebees
(I believe the theory that all of the latter have the same taste, no matter what they call the food)
I am glad you brought up Macaroni Grill. We have one nearby but I have never been there. What would you recommend? I have found that most Chinese food all taste the same.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:01 PM   #13
Hospitality Queen

um...Macaroni Grill is Italian, bangbang.
I enjoy the atmosphere a lot. They bring a lovely fresh from the oven Rosemary bread with some oil to dip while you wait for your food. The garden salad is delish, and of all the entrees I've had, I've never disliked any. They have these chicken cannoli with (I believe) an asiago creme sauce which is quite nice. Their pastas are very good, and hubby has had seafood there which he liked a lot. They have good wine, and an opera singer who is very likable. The only thing that bugs is the "paper" tablecloths - the waiter/waitress will write their name in cursive, upside down, occasionally with 2 crayons, so you won't forget their name. (have you ever referred to a waitress as "hey, Susan, could I get some more bread?" I think they do it to show they have motor skills.)
With that said, it's worth a try for you - you may be pleasantly pleased.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:04 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
um...Macaroni Grill is Italian, bangbang.
I enjoy the atmosphere a lot. They bring a lovely fresh from the oven Rosemary bread with some oil to dip while you wait for your food. The garden salad is delish, and of all the entrees I've had, I've never disliked any. They have these chicken cannoli with (I believe) an asiago creme sauce which is quite nice. Their pastas are very good, and hubby has had seafood there which he liked a lot. They have good wine, and an opera singer who is very likable. The only thing that bugs is the "paper" tablecloths - the waiter/waitress will write their name in cursive, upside down, occasionally with 2 crayons, so you won't forget their name. (have you ever referred to a waitress as "hey, Susan, could I get some more bread?" I think they do it to show they have motor skills.)
With that said, it's worth a try for you - you may be pleasantly pleased.

Thanks...I will give it a try soon.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:08 PM   #15
Hospitality Queen

I hope you do -
and let us know what you thought.

Hey there's another thread: Restaurant Critique Central
Old 10-22-2004, 02:09 PM   #16
Head Chef

We only have about 4 restraunts in our area and from what I've seen of them none of them are really worth mentioning.

We do have quite a few fast food places which I think get more business then the restraunts but since I'm real perticular at where and when my husband decide to dine out we don't eat at any of them either.

My husband and grandsons do like Sonic, Burger King and Mc Donalds now and then for something quick.

But as for myself if we're gonna dine out I like some place nice so we usually go out of town.

About 3 hours away from where we live there is a restraunt called International House of Pancakes and the food there is just terific. I am especiall fond of their Chef Salad and Roast Beef Sandwiches.

At the next State over which is a 1 hour drive there is a really nice mexican restraunt but at this time I can't think off hand what the name of the place but the place is clean and beautiful inside. And the food is terific.

Then I ate at a restraunt in Southern California several years ago called the Mining Company. The place really did used to be a mining company years ago and was later turned into a restraunt.

The Mining Company serves all kinds of different food but specializes in steak and lobster that is just out of this world...Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm Good.

The Mining Company sits in top of a hill and when you go inside the entire place is lit by candle light. A good place for those romantic nights.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 02:18 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I hope you do -
and let us know what you thought.

Hey there's another thread: Restaurant Critique Central
Thanks for the review, jkath. We have Macaroni Grill near us, but we've never been able to get in within a reasonable time because it's always packed. That's usually a good sign.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:25 PM   #18
Hospitality Queen

Go there, put your name in, and have an aperitif or two first - there is a little bar area.

As for tweedee: http://www.pomonavalleyminingco.com/
is this the place?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:54 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Applebee's seems to be running a close second to Denny's in the least favorite category so far. We had lunch there today while waiting for Bridget to get groomed. I had skewered shrimp on a bed of rice pilaf. It was a special and the waitress said it was the best thing on the menu. It wasn't 5 star dining, but it was acceptably good. Sherrie had a combo plate - steak and buttermilk shrimp. Everything of hers was a bit on the cool side, and the potato was particularly cool, so she had to send it back to get a warming. One thing of note, however, is that we tried the onion strips appetizer and they were excellent! Due to being small pieces instead of larger rings, I think they got done faster than rings, with the result being that the outside didn't get overdone.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:46 PM   #20

Yep... Applebee's does here too! It's sickening.. I orderd a salad once that was (I can't remember the exact price) around $7, and it was about the size of a dinner salad... couple croutons, few pieces of chicken a cucumber slice here and there, and a spot of dressing. Their drinks are outrageous too!

I like to go to Erie, PA... they have all the great restaurants. As far as chains, I LOVE THE OLIVE GARDEN! They also have TGI Fridays, that is also one of my favs! I don't know if it is part of chain (someone I think told me it was), but I love another one called The Roadhouse...great steaks!!!!!!... erm, and beer! :roll:

Other places... I like Wendys, McD's (for breakfast), Pizza Hut, and a place that is mainly down south (past pennslyvania.. lmao ) called Shoney's.