"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-23-2003, 11:19 PM   #1
Senior Cook

What is your favorite of all favorite foods?

After a delightful dinner that included a perfect artichoke, I began wondering what my favorite, favorite food is. I enjoy so many wonderful flavors, I am really hard pressed to decide which is truly my favorite.

It's a little like that old song: "When I'm not with the girl I love, I love the girl I'm with..." Tonight, the heart of that artichoke was the girl.

How about YOU? What is your favorite of all favorite foods?

Old 04-23-2003, 11:59 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Coco
I have often wondered about this myself. Or, if I was stranded on a desert island what food would I choose? I cannot possibly choose one favorite. But things I couldn't live without? Tomatoes, cheese, olive oil.

Also, when I think of this question I must take a moment to be thankful for what I have. There are many people in the world, in our countries, and in our own cities that do not have the luxury of thinking about their "favorite" foods. I don't mean to sound preachy, but I know that we are very lucky to be able to choose the foods that we eat on a daily basis.

PS. Oldcoot, I did not in any way mean that I felt your post was superfluous! I just had a moment of social reflection when I was typing my response! :)

Old 04-24-2003, 12:35 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Coco, you are quite right that many in this World have not the choices we are fortunate to have. But before we shed tears at their alarming numbers, let me point out a somewhat personal experience of late.

At our local small park a weekly food bank operates, offering free to all deprived folk a surprisingly wide variety of foodstuffs - mostly from government "surplus" stores.

I am amazed and infuriated by the wide variety of good, nourishing, and flovroful foods that are refused by too many of those folk! (A child of the "Great Depression", I can attest that my Mother would have been utterlly delighted to have had any of those foods!)

Now, back to the subject at hand: our favorite foods. As for your essential foods: tomato, cheese, & olive oil, I submit you overlooked the basil to go with them! Anyway, I'm not considering the desert island thing, but rather more of a dessert island approach. What food or flavor transports you to that Seventh Cloud?
Old 04-24-2003, 12:59 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Coco
True, I LOVE basil, and my favorite salad of all time is InSalata Caprese basil, bocconcini, roma tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil. My husband and I eat this at least once a week during the summer. As for desserts.....it's only ice cream, chocolate mousse, pavlova, creme brulee, creme caramel......see a theme? Also goes with my other addiction......I LOVE CHEESE!!!
Old 04-24-2003, 06:51 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Your Canadian version of Insallata Caprese sounds a lot like my favorite buschetta, sana the bread. I agree it's delicious - although I use a good Pamesano in ieu or your Canuk cheese. I think Ill try the insalata using mozarella soon, for lunch. On a sunny day in the garden, eh?With a chilled chardonnay and a hunk of italian bread?
Old 01-03-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
Master Chef

oysters on the half-shell, a little lemon, and a sprinkle of seasalt. delish.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:45 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs_food
oysters on the half-shell, a little lemon, and a sprinkle of seasalt. delish.
Luvs. if you're lost on a desserted island, that might be all you get! sans the lemon.
southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
:D :D That's a hard one...

Vanilla Ice cream ( with real vanilla beans)
warm chocolate pudding
Baked potato with lots of salt butter and bacon
Veggies fried in olive oil
steamed clams with garlic butter for dipping
hubby's homemade pizza
Steak, medium well with garlic salt and pepper
fresh corn on the cob
artichokes with lemon butter

Nope.. can't pick just one.....
Old 01-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Cheese Cake