What is your favorite picnic menu for kids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnysmile

Cook
I'll be taking my two teenage kids and my 8 yr old on a picnic this Sunday to a local canyon. I'm sort of bored (and they probably are too) with sandwiches, chips, fruit and drinks. Does anyone have some creative ideas for picnics that kids would like? Thanks in advance!

My kids and grandkids love picnics..We even do them in the back yard by the pool:LOL: They all love fried chicken and lots of fruit, and little muffins with pancetta baked in or scones..Plenty of lemonade and cookies for dessert..The older ones love cold deviled eggs and potato salad,the chicken and fruit. Not exotic but hey it's a picnic:)
kadesma

Well, I don’t have kids myself, but I know how picky they can be. Plus, you have to think of food that will keep with little to no refrigeration. Taking a cooler packed with ice (or dry ice) helps.

My frist thought as well was fried chicken potato salad, and cole slaw.

How about a wrap of some kind? Maybe fried chicken fingers wrapped in a tortilla or pita bread with lettuce, tomato, ranch dressing, etc, (assuming the kids like lettuce and tomato). Maybe a pasta salad or deviled eggs?

Chicken wings? Chicken nuggets?

How about a pinwheel?

Sailboat sandwiches made with tuna salad

If you could add a small (perhaps disposable) grill to this, you can add hot dogs, hamburgers, even prepared pizza…..and talk about fun!

I was thinking antipasto, but then, what would be the best way to present it when it comes time to eat?

Then I found this link. Recipelink.com - Message Boards COOL idea!

Maybe loaf of french bread.

Brownies for dessert.

Lee

Last edited:
sunnysmile said:
I'll be taking my two teenage kids and my 8 yr old on a picnic this Sunday to a local canyon. I'm sort of bored (and they probably are too) with sandwiches, chips, fruit and drinks. Does anyone have some creative ideas for picnics that kids would like? Thanks in advance!
Heres a thought ask the kids what they might like and go from there.

jpmcgrew said:
Heres a thought ask the kids what they might like and go from there.

I'm making it a surprise, otherwise I would have done that already. ;)

I have an 10 & 12 year old and for the last few years is too take some tortilla wraps (home made if we have time) and different fillings - cold meats, sausages, salads etc based on what we like. We then make up our parcels to our own taste when we have the picnic. Add some cake and fruit and we have a grand time,

If you have a cooler and ice, you can pack up almost anything.

This always makes me smile:

Chicken in a Sleeping Bag

(Or, use fish sticks in place of the chicken.)

Going with the crescent roll idea:
Make mini calzones, hot-pocket fillings (they can be cold) like mini meatballs w shredded cheese & bbq sauce, shredded chicken/bbq sauce & cheddar, pizza fillings (salami or pepperoni/cheese/tomato sauce, ham & swiss, turkey or chicken breast & cheese. Wrap any fillings up in crescent rolls and bake.Take along accompaniments like potato or cold mac salad, coleslaw, 3 bean salad.

Cold meatball pitas or cold meatloaf sandwiches

Chicken wings & dipping sauce

Fruit kebobs

If you have plastic containers or tupperware:

Guacamole & chips

Cold pasta salads

Cookies, trail mix, pretzels, brownies

mom always made baked chicken legs for such picnics...flavored anyway you like, (ie: honey and soy, hot sauce, garlic, taragon herb...whatever)

The sides are up to you, but for a picnic salad wraps (have the dressing to add when you get there) are easy and can have all kinds of goodies in them, and can be toped with ranch or ceasar or anyone's favorite.

Back
Top Bottom