What is your favorite soup, stew or chili?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite soup, stew, or chili? (Multiple Choice)

• Total voters

SierraCook

Master Chef
When most people think of comfort foods they list things like soups, stews and chili. I like nothing better than sitting down to a hearty bowl of beef stew with a side of buttermilk biscuits. Or a bowl of chili topped with cheese and onions and a side of cornbread.

What is your favorite soup, stew, or chili?

Here is my favorite recipe for potato soup.

Chunky Potato Soup

2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 cups coarsely chopped onions
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
5 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into ½” chunks
1 – 49 ½ oz. can chicken broth
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup half and half
¼ - ½ teaspoon salt
2 cups cubed ham, optional

In 5 quart saucepan melt butter over moderate heat. Add onions, bay leaf, and thyme; cook 3-5 minutes, until onions are clear. Add potatoes, chicken broth, and pepper; bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaf. With slotted spoon transfer 2 cups of potatoes and onions to a bowl. Puree the remaining soup in 2-3 batches in a blender and return to saucepan. Stir in half and half and reserved potatoes and onions. Add ham at this time, if using. Season with salt and heat to boiling point. Serves: 4-6

Hi SC,

I have to say Cioppino, I just love it..I'm also found of clam chowder..I also love corn chowder, oyster stew and the soup I get asked for over and over my onion soup..:LOL: Here is one my DH loves with homemade french bread.

6-slices diced pancetta
2-yellow onions,sliced thin
4-cloves crushed garlic
2-4 Tab. evoo
1-c. peeled,chopped tomatoes
1-c. Italian parsley,minced, rough cut
1-2 boxes of frozen artichokes
6-7c. chix stock
1-c. orzo or another tiny pasta
2-celery stalks, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1-c. parmesan cheese
Saute pancetta, onions,garlic in the evoo til pancetta is crisp. Add tomatoes and parsley.simmer about 10 min. Pour in the chix stock, bring to boil. Add pasta, artichokes and celery. Cook til pasta is tender about 10 min. and artichokes are heated through. Just before you eat add your cup of parmesan, pour into you soup bowl, grab some french bread and butter and enjoy.:)
kadesma

Last edited:
I don't have a favorite out of this list as I love just about all of them, but if you are making me choose then I guess I will pick clam chowda since I love in Boston :cool:

i can't choose just one !!!! but if i HAD to... i'd
go with potato. sierra your recipe sounds an
awfule lot like my dad's except for he doesn't
use bay leaves.

Thank you for making this multiple choice!

I make a killer Clam chowder. I can take a basic Chicken soup, and either turn it into noodle, rice, or dumpling soup very easily. I need to perfect a beef stew recipe.

You didn't mention Gumbo! PeppA loves my gumbo. It's starting to cool off here, so soon, she'll be asking me for it. Then there's my Chicken Tortilla soup, which she loves. I need to smoke off a bunch of pork butt and freeze it, so I can make a Smoked Pork Posole this winter.

Now I'm starting to get hungry! I normally make gumbo and jambalaya in the winter, but I may have to make an exception here soon!

soup's one of the best things. i like them all. french onion sans the crouton, miso, veggie w/ beef, tomato and a grilled cheese, udon nooles in broth, mmmm.... but i go through phases w/ what kinds of soup i gravitate towards.
good poll, sierra.

I love clam chowder, and also a hearty beef stew. Actually, there's not much I don't like.

Kadesma, you mention artichokes in your soup, but it's not a listed ingredient. I'm guessing that it's about 1 can??

Oh, dear. I'm the queen of soup. I make soup out of everything that passes by the house. Haha. No I've never made it from dog or cat! lol. Right now there are four "batches" (a quart or two) of stock in the freezer, and I'm not kidding, I do make stock out of any bones (bbq ribs and hot wings make great stock). Hubby particularly likes bean soups. I also make a lot of curries. I tend to make my soups/stews high in fiber, low in meat. Lots of beans, lentils, or dried split peas.

Pea soup and johnny cake, makes a Frenchman's belly ache was a song/rhyme from my childhood.

Come to think of it, I haven't made a good pea soup in ages. There's a butcher in Cuba City who has the best ham hocks.......

I like my Beef Stews but now come to think of it, Dad used to make the BEST Ham and Bean soup...mmm....now theres a comfort food....

lyndalou said:
I love clam chowder, and also a hearty beef stew. Actually, there's not much I don't like.

Kadesma, you mention artichokes in your soup, but it's not a listed ingredient. I'm guessing that it's about 1 can??
Welll Lynda, see what a senior moment can cause:LOL: I've made an edit to the post and I use 1 or 2 boxes of the frozen artichokes, simply because they aren't quite as tart from ascorbic acid as the canned..Cannned would be fine if rinsed really well..Sorry about that Lynda and thanks for letting me know:)
kadesma

luvs_food said:
soup's one of the best things. i like them all. french onion sans the crouton.

I just love soups and chillies! I make one pot a week and eat it all week long. My favorite 3 in no particular order are probably:

1.) French onion with smoked cheddar and topped with crusty bread is one of my favorites!

2.) I also LOVE making veggie chili, and top it with some sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream and some scallions. YUM!

3.) creamy tomato basil soup, with a grilled cheese sandwhich to dip in it. That always comforts me on a cold afternoon.

bluespanishsky said:
creamy tomato basil soup, with a grilled cheese sandwhich to dip in it. That always comforts me on a cold afternoon.

Tomato soup is one of the first soups that I remember having as a child. My mom was in the hospital having her tonsils out. My dad made me and my brother tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. But unfortunately he used water instead of milk. My brother and I did not care though. It tasted good to us!!

Back
Top Bottom