What is your favorite stuffing or dressing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't like stuffing but dh loves it. I think I will do mushrooms and sausage this year and cross my fingers that he likes it...
I'm not going to stuff the turkey either, last year the turkey was sooo juicy that the stuffing was really soggy.

I always cook the stuffing separately to the bird as I like the 'crispy' bits where it forms a crust!:)

Mish, I heard about the "muffin" method on tv today. Especially good for those of us that love the crunchy bits like Ishbel mentioned.

Traditional sage and onion bread stuffing. We're making it outside of the bird this year, both because the turkey is easier to cook that way, and because we can make more... we always seem to run short of dressing before we run out of turkey... :(

I always stuff the turkey and make an extra pan- the best of both worlds!:mrgreen: That works well with my family since my brother doesn't like onions; I make the pan without.

My basic recipe is a loaf each of wheat, white and pumpernickle/rye bread. I lightly butter the bread, then cube it, then sprinkly with a touch of Prudhommes Poultry Magic and sage before drying it in the oven. Once dry I set it aside in a bowl.

Next I dice a couple of onions and a couple stalks of celery, then sautee them in lots of butter til lightly carmelized. Once they're soft I dump them in the bowl of crumbs and fry up the gizzard, heart & liver in the same pan, adding it to the bowl, too.

It's hard to recommend amounts for seasonings- I do it to taste, and it will vary with your preferences and the amount you're making. I go with white pepper, black pepper, a bit of kosher salt, tyme, a smidge of basil, and lots of sage. I hate to say you can't use to much sage, but you almost can't.:LOL:

Lastly, stir in chicken or turkey stock. It's important to use the best you can find, whether fresh or from a can or mix. Don't add much salt if your broth or stock is boughten.

Mix it well, then stuff it up the birds butt.:ROFLMAO: The rest you can bake in a pan, although you may need to add a little more liquid to that batch; it won't draw juices from the bird.

Hope everyone's holiday feasts went well!:mrgreen:

amber said:
My stuffing for our Thanksgiving turkey is kind of boring, but tasty. I use Pepperidge Farm from a bag, and then add onions and celery. What is your favorite?
Me too, amber. Serves us well. Oysters, chestnuts, can be added for variation. Not everybody likes oysters, but chestnuts are bland enough to get by with for picky eaters. I am a northerner and I haven't found a cornbread recipe I like that much. I have to stay away from too much sage.

I saw a recipe in a KRAFT magazine (freebie) using cooked sausage and Stovetop and cranberry jellied sauce. Can be made in advance and frozen in balls, thawed and finished in the oven. I am going to do a trial run before I spring it on anyone other than DH.

Last edited:
this thread rocks. i was trying to find out what to do with our pork sausage stuffing for dinner tonite. we had a package of butterball stuffing mix (like papperidge farms I guess) & added onion, celery, diced apple, sage, thyme, parsley & pepper.

I use Betty Crocker's stuffing recipe, sometimes with Pepperidge Farm bread cubes, sometimes homemade: Bread Stuffing Recipe from Betty Crocker

I use fresh sage and thyme from my garden (they're perennials here), and when it's fresh, it does take LOTS of sage. My mom used this recipe when I was growing up, so I just know what it's supposed to smell like ;) I also make broth from the giblets and neck with onion and celery. DH likes raisins in the stuffing, so I add a cup or so of those. The recipe makes enough that I can stuff the bird and bake another pan, so there's lots of stuffing :) It's one of my favorite foods.

Last edited:
I make mine like GotGarlic minus the raisins, I make a huge batch with extra necks so I can freeze it raw for Christmas too. Only make it once, and once frozen in the raw, you can not tell the difference. Been doing it like this for years. Have a lot of dressing lovers !

here's my mom's recipe - it's the only stuffing I'll eat... (I actually call it dressing, I think it's because that's what my Dad called it and how I grew up with it, anyone else call it dressing??). glad I know how to make it now!

1/2 stick butter
1 onion
1/2 apple
12 slices white bread, toasted in the broiler on both sides
about 2 tbsp thyme
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste

In a sauce pan, melt the butter and saute the onion and apple until the onion is translucent. The let this mixture cool a bit.

In the mean time, toast the bread.

In a large bowl, crumble up the bread using your hands and bit of water (I don't know exactly how much water, not enough water so you have mush, but enough water so the mixture is somewhat sticky). Add the apple and onion mixture, thyme and the egg. Make sure your mixture isn't too hot, otherwise the egg will cook.

Add the salt and pepper and mix it all up, using your hands. Once it's all together, you can stuff it into the bird.

Alternatively, you can cook it in a casserole dish covered at 375 for about 20 minutes. Then remove the cover and cook uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until browned on top.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm just an old fashioned guy. I make an 8-inch squre cornbread a couple of days before, and let it dry out. Then I mix it with poultry seasoning, an entire head of celery including the leaves, walnuts, Italian sausage, and chopped apple, then moisten it with egg and the broth I made from the neck and giblets of the turkey I am stuffing, but I save the boiled neck meat and giblets to add to the gravy.

Oh, and as much of the stuffing as feasible goes into the cavity of the turkey, along with my second probe thermometer (the first probe thermometer goes into the thigh of the turkey). Whatever doesn't fit inside the turkey gets cooked in a casserole dish.

Last edited:
My sister in law makes the my favorite. For a base she starts with many different types of bagels---rye, pumpernickel, onion, garlic, egg, etc.

Dice them up and allow them to dry. Mix with broth, sage, onion, celery, apples, oranges, cranberries, almonds.... bake....

very tasty

I love cornbread dressing, and I imagine that's what I'll be doing this Thanksgiving. I'll probably start with Jiffy mix, and then crumble it up, add S+P, lots of herbs, whole kernel corn, chicken stock, as well as some sauteed onions, garlic, and maybe a bit of celery.

Sometimes I used dried dressing mix (I like bread dressing, not cornbread dressing), but I usually make my own (I keep bread in the freezer for dressing and bread pudding). I either make seasoned bread cubes, using the recipe in my Make-a-Mix cookbook, or I just cut the bread into cubes and use a little more seasoning. I cook chopped onion and celery in butter until soft. Then I add that to my bread cubes with plenty of poultry seasoning and chicken broth. The last thing I add is a nice big blob of prepared yellow mustard. I like my dressing moist, not dry. It is probably my favorite part of Thanksgiving. Sometimes I will make a small amount during the year to go with chicken, but for Thanksgiving I always make a huge casserole dish of it.

Someone mentioned that some call it stuffing and some call it dressing. I have called it stuffing, but since I don't stuff my turkey with it, I usually call it dressing. Both terms are common, but I think the way it is cooked often determines which name is used. :cool:

:) Barbara

bigjimbray

I love to make stuffing/dressing from scratch. I use corn bread, dried bread,
celery,onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, chess nuts, black olives, chicken stock, spices. I do both stuff the bird and a casserole and I have used apples
and drried apricots or dried peaches before. If there is any leftovers I will eat
it hot/cold.

Ours is a house divided. PeppA insists on making a bread stuffing for the bird. I won't touch stuffing that's been baking inside the turkey. I prefer to make a cornbread dressing, from scratch.

I've got a bunch of stuffing/dressing recipes. I've been meaning to try them, but good luck getting my family to agree to a menu change for the Holidays. I ought to try that on something small at other times of the year.

here are 2 of my favorites:

Sausage and Sweet Potato Stuffing
spacer.gif

Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 30 min
Makes: 8 servings

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
1/2 lb. pork sausage

1 can (16 oz.) whole sweet potatoes in syrup, undrained

1 cup water

1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Cornbread Stuffing Mix

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Brown sausage in large skillet on medium-high heat. Meanwhile, drain sweet potatoes, reserving syrup.

ADD water and reserved syrup to sausage in skillet; bring to boil. Cut potatoes into slices. Add to sausage mixture along with the stuffing mix; stir just until moistened. Spoon into 1-1/2-qt. casserole dish; cover.

BAKE 20 min. or until heated through.

spacer.gif
SAUSAGE AND POTATO STUFFING
1/2 lb. lean sausage meat (I use turkey sausage)
1 sm. onion, chopped
1/2 c. celery
2 c. preseasoned bread stuffing, softened
4 c. hot mashed potatoes
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Cook sausage until light brown, breaking it into small pieces. Remove meat from pan and cook onion and celery for a few minutes in the fat. Meanwhile heat potatoes, mash and mix all ingredients. If this is made ahead, keep refrigerated. However warm before stuffing bird to avoid any cold spots. Also does well cooked separately. Bake until piping hot.

Back
Top Bottom