What is your favorite stuffing or dressing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been making the "stuffing" & "dressing" for my family's Turkey dinners for a number of years. I do not follow a specific recipe as I rarely use recipes to begin with. I normally cook a 21lb ~ 23lb Turkey every year.

For the stuffing:

I fry up Jimmy Dean "Sage Sausage" 2 lbs, drain the sausage, then add several stalks of celery chopped up, one very large sweet onion chopped up in medium dice, 1 8 Oz package of mushrooms (any type you prefer chopped up in larger chunks) sauted, dumped over 1.5 loafs of basic white bread that has been pinched into bite size pieces and spiced with sage, pepper, and other bird friendly spices. Add 1 pint of apple sauce (I use cherry/apple), stuff the turkey with this, and the left over will fit into a 8"x8" oven dish to become "dressing". I forgot to mention I add a little more liquid (chicken stock) to the dressing, or it tends to dry out. The "stuffing" tends to be moist enough due to soaking up the Turkey juices.

I usually make cornbread/herb crouton dressing with Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans and dried cranberries. I never make dressing without dried cranberries. This year I may even use dried apricots. If I make my own cornbread, I will add poultry seasoning and sage to the cornbread batter. Makes for even distribution of the seasoning throughout the dressing. I bake mine in a separate casserole dish, because the turkey cooks quicker without the dressing. Oh, I always add a can of mushroom soup to my recipe, too.

Toni
icon7.gif

Last edited:
My personal favorite is oyster dressing.

My family's preference is Jalepeno Dressing which has cornbread/day-old bread base. Add some green onions, bacon drippings, celery, and chicken broth, then 1-3 fresh jalapenos,finely chopped and some jalapeno juice. The jalapenos are not overpowering in this recipe. They merely add zest.

Mine is very easy, no muss no fuss, probably typical.
Stale sourdough bread, cut up into chunks
1 stick real butter melted with a couple of tablespoons olive oil
2 cans chicken broth [however much it takes]
2 t poultry seasoning [substitute sage/margoram/thyme to = 2 t]
salt and pepper
onion, celery, *raisins < [optional]

in huge pot, melt the butter and the oil
toss in the chopped onion and chopped celery
let wilt and get just a bit of color
salt and pepper the pot, add the poultry seasoning, give a good stir
add the bread chunks and coat with the oil/butter as best as you can
let brown all over just a bit
turn and stir until all coated and a bit browned
now add as much chicken stock to moisten the bread all through but not swimming in it
transfer to a giant bowl stir real well to get everything married
either cover with foil and bake in oven or stuff the bird, you choose.:-p

"Myshelle's Oyster Cornbread stuffing"
2 Boxes quicky corn bread mix (she uses the little Jiffy box mixes)
make according to directions. Let cool then break up into chunks. Set on cookie sheet and place in oven @ 325° for 5 minutes just to let dry out a little bit. (if it's too fresh it can disintegrate in the stuffing leaving it rather as moosh.)
``````````````````
8 oz can mushrooms (*save liquid for later)
1 large onion chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
3 T Olive oil
3 T butter
Melt the butter and olive oil in a skillet and add onion/peppers/cut up shrooms. Saute until veggies are soft and salt and pepper. To this add...
``````````````````
1 can cream mushroom soup
1/2 [soup can] chicken broth made from bouillion or canned stock or broth
1/2 soup can milk
good sized pinch sugar
Mix this ^^^all together and put with the veggie mix in the skillet, cook on low stirring for 5 minutes.
``````````````````
Take out of skillet put in another large bowl, let slightly cool, and add (1) 8 oz can whole oysters, yes it's liquid too.
Toss with the veggies and now add the chunks of cornbread and toss lightly so as not to totally break up the bread.
If the stuffing isn't moist enough by the way it looks, add some of the *mushroom liquid until it's right.
Place in buttered lasagna glass baking dish and dot with small chunks of cold butter on top. Cover with foil and bake 350° for 40 minutes, turn oven down to 300° and bake 15 minutes more with foil off to brown top.

Last edited:
My favorite has always been Pepperidge Farm onion sage, the kids like it with apples and raisins added, I'm good with celery and onion. So now I make it with all 4!!

However last year I discovered an Emeril recipe he did on Good Morning America a couple years ago. Cornbread, cream and Andouille sausage is what I remember anyway. That was just awesome!

None of our family likes "traditional" stuffing, so we always make a wild rice casserole with toasted pecans or walnuts.

Rather than look up our recipe, I found this online which is basically the same:

Ingredients
1-1/4 cups uncooked wild rice
1-1/4 cups uncooked long-grain rice
16 ounces bulk sausage (we don't like bulk sausage or Italian, we use locally fresh ground)
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
4 large celery ribs, sliced
5 ounced medium-sized fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, diced
Salt to taste
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see note)

Instructions
Prepare wild rice and long-grain rice according to package directions. Toss together in large bowl and set aside.
In 12-inch skillet over high heat, cook sausage, stirring frequently until well browned. With slotted spoon, remove sausage to bowl with rice. Add butter to drippings remaining in skillet and melt over medium heat. Add celery, mushrooms, onion and salt and pepper. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and add vegetable mixture to rice mixture in bowl along with walnuts. Toss well to mix.
Note: To toast walnuts; In dry small skillet over very low heat, toast walnuts 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently until golden brown. Cool before adding to stuffing.
Yield: 12 to 14 cups, enough to stuff a 12 to 14 pound turkey; 12 servings

Last edited:
These all sound so yummy!

I use the Pepperidge Farm dressing mix, then add sweet, caramelized onions (chopped), crispy crumbled bacon, and pan roasted diced apples to it.

Stuffing is cooked in the bird, dressing is cooked outside the bird.

Back
Top Bottom