What is your favourite appetizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if they would travel of re-heat too well, but,
I LOVE Spanikopita!!!!!
I've bought pre-made min phyllo cups to cheat a few times with it.
:)

That's funny because DH suggested spanikopita as well, but I make it for almost every function (catered or personal) I cook for.

:( Sorry, I wanted to edit that to say "Thanks Suzi, that was a really good suggestion!" but I got distracted.

Thanks everyone, these are great!!!! Some of them I have done, but there are a few that are very new to me.

Uncle Bob, you forgot one step - putting the clothespin on my nose while I handle the oysters! I can't take the smell of them and can't eat them raw, cooked OR smoked, not even in something. Don't know what it is, but mussels, oysters and clams make me gag!

Note to self: Change avatar and sig.

:-p

Dang!!!!
I tried.
:)
:) You did well I have never made those but when I worked in Texas my boss insisted they were made with the other chestnuts and they were awful and I was so embarrassed as I knew they were the wrong type of chestnut the worst part is I had to serve them to a very well known person that I wont mention.

:) This is a fun one take dried pitted dates put an almond in each one wrap with small pieces of bacon and bake until crisp. I like to cook the bacon up before hand a little to insure it it bakes off the fat.

These sound wonderful, jp!

I've had the dates stuffed with chunks of blue cheese, then wrapped in bacon - heavenly! Sweet and salty, hot and cool.

Either one sounds like a good, different, fun idea to me, LP!

Lee

Qsis and JP, I really like your "date ideas". Thinking I might go that route.

Thanks everyone! If I don't use your ideas for this party, I am jotting them down for other functions. I have two showers coming up and am catering three wedding teas next spring and summer.

Keep the ideas coming, I think we can all use them!

I don't have the recpie. I lost it years ago. I think you could "wing" it. Mix butter with Spicy Brown Mustard. Spread between several layers of Phylo dough. Mix shredded Swiss Cheese and chopped thin sliced ham. Fill, roll up jelly roll style. Spread some of the mustard/butter on the outside of the log. Bake until brown and filling is hot. Cool slightly and cut into pinwheels.

These are all great. I've made them many times, and have recommended them to lots of people:

Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
Bruschetta with Roasted Peppers and Goat Cheese
Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes
Salmon Canapes

Will post and/or link you to any of these recipes if you're interested.

We are going to a "going away" party for some dear friends on Saturday and am supposed to take an appetizer. Being a caterer, I have a lot of them but I want to do something different. Since everyone is to bring one and there are a lot of people coming, I want something different and fun. It has to be fairly easy as well because I can't stand on my leg too long at a time.

I'd be interested to find what you make.

Hi Laurie. Glad to find your post - I was looking under appetizers, as I had a few in mind. This time of year one appetizer I like is won ton wrappers stuffed with squash, pumpkin or sweet potatoes with a dipping sauce (cranberry etc.) Another stuffed won ton I like is filled with nutella & cream cheese and a hazelnut -- fry in oil and sprinkle with sugar. Another appetizer I like is shrimp wrapped in a won ton wrapper.

cream cheese and ground sausage stuffed jalapenoes wrapped in bacon then
grilled ..

What about pickled eggs. You can make them way in advance and they are low maintainence for transporting and serving.

Mel:)

my newest one is appetizer shis kabobs
cook up some cheese tortillinis get salami and peperoni and cut them into chunks and put them on bamboo sticks. tortlinni-salami-tortillini-peperoni torillini or any way you want-- marinate them in Italian dressing and then serve.
I will put them in a large vertical container and pour the dressing in so the handle won't be sloppy when people eat them. I have made them also using grape tomatos, and fresh mozzeralla balls a basil leave line both of them up on a platter and as I have you will get great reviews.

forgot to give you my easiest one
1 - 80z brick of cream cheese place on a serving platter
2 cans of baby shrimp rinsed and drain well -- then mix it with one jar of cocktail sauce and pour over the cream cheese

I serve trisket crackers around it. they work the best.

Back
Top Bottom