What is your favourite appetizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
We are going to a "going away" party for some dear friends on Saturday and am supposed to take an appetizer. Being a caterer, I have a lot of them but I want to do something different. Since everyone is to bring one and there are a lot of people coming, I want something different and fun. It has to be fairly easy as well because I can't stand on my leg too long at a time.

I'd be interested to find what you make.

I love stuffed Mushrooms.... but everyone brings those.
I do have a recipe for stuffed clams. Yummy!

Ramaki is always a big hit, even for people who don't like chicken livers. It takes some time to put together, but it's a job you can do sitting down.

Another one that I don't know the name for...Spread thick sliced bacon with peanut butter, roll up, secure with toothpick, and broil.

You could also make miniature choux pastry puffs and fill them with chicken salad or any savory filling.

I'm not a very accomplished or sophisticated cook (yet:)), so this may be way too simple, but I never have any left over when I make these. Wrap a whole water chestnut (the canned kind) in a strip of bacon and secure with a toothpick. When you get a big tray of them done, splash them all generously with soy sauce and let sit for an hour or two. Then run under a broiler until the bacon is crispy.

My favorite...Raw Oysters. You could open up a jar or two of sto bought cocktail sauce, a jar of horse radish, slice up a few lemon wedges...Hmmm that should cover everyone's needs.

An easy one you can sit at the table and do..Dried figs and dried apricots, halve them then stuff with a mixture of mascarpone or cream cheese blended with some brown sugar and finely chopped nuts then place on your platter and drizzle with some lavender honey...yummy, easy and sweet instead of savory..
kadesma;)

:) This is a fun one take dried pitted dates put an almond in each one wrap with small pieces of bacon and bake until crisp. I like to cook the bacon up before hand a little to insure it it bakes off the fat.

Thanks everyone, these are great!!!! Some of them I have done, but there are a few that are very new to me.

Uncle Bob, you forgot one step - putting the clothespin on my nose while I handle the oysters! I can't take the smell of them and can't eat them raw, cooked OR smoked, not even in something. Don't know what it is, but mussels, oysters and clams make me gag!

LPBeier said:
Uncle Bob, you forgot one step - putting the clothespin on my nose while I handle the oysters! I can't take the smell of them and can't eat them raw, cooked OR smoked, not even in something. Don't know what it is, but mussels, oysters and clams make me gag!

:LOL: Bless your heart! I want hold it against ya....;)

Maybe Some boiled Swimps...Or Wait!!!! Twuffles!!!:chef:

Yes, I can get frozen ones, just not that flavour. I have some spinach ricotta ones in the freezer DH bought for me because I haven't been able to make them for awhile. But I think a more plain one would be better. I still like the sound of the roasted garlic!

I don't know if they would travel of re-heat too well, but,
I LOVE Spanikopita!!!!!
I've bought pre-made min phyllo cups to cheat a few times with it.
:)

I'm not a very accomplished or sophisticated cook (yet:)), so this may be way too simple, but I never have any left over when I make these. Wrap a whole water chestnut (the canned kind) in a strip of bacon and secure with a toothpick. When you get a big tray of them done, splash them all generously with soy sauce and let sit for an hour or two. Then run under a broiler until the bacon is crispy.

Those sound really good! Putting it on my list for next week.

appetizers

One thing that I do and like is egg rolls spread with a cream cheese/chinese hot chili sauce, fresh crab and any or all the following, bok choy, ginger. That chili sauce is hot so care must be taken. Anyway of course you deep fry these about 3 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom