"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
View Poll Results: When you cook at home which do you place emphasis on ?
To achieve good taste, try to imitate the restaurants 5 29.41%
Clean food, wash thoroughly to get rid of, eg, pesticides 0 0%
Good presentation, look nice, look appetizing 0 0%
Cook healthily – try to maintain nutrients 5 29.41%
Other 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Taste is number 1, without a doubt. I chose achieve good taste, try to imitate the restaurants because a lot of the time, the gauge my husband & I use when I try something new is: "Would you pay for it?". I hope that makes sense!

I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
Sous Chef
Taste. I usually serve it buffet style too, I don't bother dressing it up. All I care about is how my mouth and nose like it, not my eyes.

Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
Master Chef
Cooking healthy is a primeary goal in my cooking. But if no one will eat it, then what's the difference? I also try to make it taste great, but not the way you get it at the restaurant. I will offer my food against Applebee's any day of the week! I also want it clean and free of pesticides and to be presented well.

If you are asking that if only one could be picked, which would it be, then making it nutritious comes absolutely first. That's what makes our bodies work. But I truly believe that all of the listed options are equally important in my kitchen.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #14
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I voted 'cook healthily,' and usually that's the case. I enjoy making and eating a well cooked meal, but try to save high fat meals for special occasions. Most often, I play with them to get the calorie content down.

I usually skimp on presentation and the only time I buy organic is when the organic produce is better.
vyapti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:48 AM   #15
Master Chef
MFtWorth, I agree with you. I voted other because taste is #1, but I sure don't imitate the restaurants. And I'm a firm believer that if you get the taste right, healthy is there. Mom taught me that if you have every color on your plate, and every food group represented, you have healthy. So flavor and appetizing are of primary importance. As someone already said, if no one wants to eat it, what's the point? Making the food appealing to your family and freinds is #1. IF the only thing they'll eat is deep-fried fast food, then I wouldn't bother to cook. Fortunately husband, other family, and freinds think things like salads from the garden and such are good food.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:49 AM   #16
Executive Chef

My priority in preparing a meal is to have it ready on time. When they all come to eat, I certainly better have the food ready or else they will ask, what I have been doing? I resent this question especially when you want to please at everything you do. Must be reason why this happens. Maybe when I was young I seemed to never be on time. Shameful, but true.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote