"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Executive Chef

What kinda vittles ya haven fur supper May 3, 2014?

My Cuban style pork shoulder is a cookin on the Egg. I'll put tagether the other fixins later.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Head Chef

I'm going to make something I've never made before using a grain I've never used before. (There's always Chinese take out! )

Warm Farro Salad With Asparagus, Peas, and Feta

"This warm one-pot farro salad is loaded with tender spring peas and asparagus, along with heartier ingredients like kale and crunchy almonds. Tossed with a tangy lemon-mustard vinaigrette and briny feta cheese, it's a healthy dish that celebrates of the transition from winter to spring."

Warm Farro Salad With Asparagus, Peas, and Feta | Serious Eats : Recipes

Old 05-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Executive Chef

What kinda vittles ya haven fur supper May 3, 2014?

Cave, my chef nephew made a similar salad a few nights ago and served it with grilled garlic prawns. I noticed it on his Facebook page. I have never used Farro either, must give it a try though sounds and looks like a tasty salad.

I'm not sure what we are eating tonight, was thinking of making a potato salad and I have fresh corn, just need to come up with a meat. I think there is some steak In the freezer. Better go check ;)
Old 05-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Master Chef

I have two super-thick, bone-in pork chops I'll brine for a bit with hard cider and spices. The "fresh" corn actually lived up to its claim (I always squeeze a kernel to make sure the juice is clear ) so they'll go on the grill too. Hoping there is also room for a couple chicken breasts - I'd like to use them in a few days for a different dish. A new dish if I ever run out of leftovers - of which there probably will be some from tonight too. Salad to start; starch, if any, to be determined later.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I never have luck with corn on the grill, how do you do yours CG??
Old 05-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Here is the pork shoulder, come to room temp and ready to go on the Egg. I'll cover it with foil for the first few hours of cooking.

The ingredients for the Fixins.

The roast, ready to pull the foil.

More to follow as things progress.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Yum! Everyone's dinner menus sound so good! I have a large piece of baked salmon leftover from last night (I always bake extra). I'll use it in a cool Nicoise salad tonight with hard boiled eggs, sliced steamed red potatoes (marinated with lemon juice, olive oil, etc.), quartered tomatoes, steamed asparagus, thin slices of red onion, sliced radishes, romaine hearts, and any other veggies that are in the fridge --- all drizzled with an olive oil, lemon dressing.

Craig --- what do you mean "...cooking on the Egg"?
Old 05-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCooks View Post
Yum! Everyone's dinner menus sound so good! I have a large piece of baked salmon leftover from last night (I always bake extra). I'll use it in a cool Nicoise salad tonight with hard boiled eggs, sliced steamed red potatoes (marinated with lemon juice, olive oil, etc.), quartered tomatoes, steamed asparagus, thin slices of red onion, sliced radishes, romaine hearts, and any other veggies that are in the fridge --- all drizzled with an olive oil, lemon dressing.

Craig --- what do you mean "...cooking on the Egg"?
Big Green Egg, a kamado style cooker.

Sam-I-Am, We Have a Project!
Old 05-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
What do you mean by not having luck? What is wrong?

We do it one of two ways: soak ears with the husk on in water, then put on the grill for 8-10 minutes to steam; or, husk them and put on the grill naked for the same amount of time to get grill marks, then slather with a compound butter. Lime, cilantro and chile powder is good.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
I let Himself do it! Actually, I checked with him and this is how we do it*: He doesn't remember. I know we strip and clean the corn and soak both the leaves and the corn in a bowl of water. Then (we think) the corn goes on the grill, then the wet leaves go on top. When those get dry he can't remember if he gets rid of them and puts fresh wet ones on top, or if he just keeps piling on. I know somewhere in there he rotates he corn because it gets grilled on all sides. Maybe the dry husks go on the fake coals (we have a gas grill) or they just get pitched. He'll have to pay attention when he does them later.

* Just in case you need an earworm, this popped into my inner ear when I typed "this is how we do it". Sorry, but gotta share.

Tags
supper