What kinda vittles ya haven fur supper May 3, 2014?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
My Cuban style pork shoulder is a cookin on the Egg. I'll put tagether the other fixins later.

I'm going to make something I've never made before using a grain I've never used before. (There's always Chinese take out! :))

Warm Farro Salad With Asparagus, Peas, and Feta

"This warm one-pot farro salad is loaded with tender spring peas and asparagus, along with heartier ingredients like kale and crunchy almonds. Tossed with a tangy lemon-mustard vinaigrette and briny feta cheese, it's a healthy dish that celebrates of the transition from winter to spring."

Warm Farro Salad With Asparagus, Peas, and Feta | Serious Eats : Recipes

Cave, my chef nephew made a similar salad a few nights ago and served it with grilled garlic prawns. I noticed it on his Facebook page. I have never used Farro either, must give it a try though sounds and looks like a tasty salad.

I'm not sure what we are eating tonight, was thinking of making a potato salad and I have fresh corn, just need to come up with a meat. I think there is some steak In the freezer. Better go check ;)

I have two super-thick, bone-in pork chops I'll brine for a bit with hard cider and spices. The "fresh" corn actually lived up to its claim (I always squeeze a kernel to make sure the juice is clear :brows: ) so they'll go on the grill too. Hoping there is also room for a couple chicken breasts - I'd like to use them in a few days for a different dish. A new dish if I ever run out of leftovers - of which there probably will be some from tonight too. Salad to start; starch, if any, to be determined later.

Here is the pork shoulder, come to room temp and ready to go on the Egg. I'll cover it with foil for the first few hours of cooking.

36788-albums318-picture5905.jpg

The ingredients for the Fixins.

36788-albums318-picture5903.jpg

The roast, ready to pull the foil.

36788-albums318-picture5906.jpg

More to follow as things progress.:yum:

Yum! Everyone's dinner menus sound so good! I have a large piece of baked salmon leftover from last night (I always bake extra). I'll use it in a cool Nicoise salad tonight with hard boiled eggs, sliced steamed red potatoes (marinated with lemon juice, olive oil, etc.), quartered tomatoes, steamed asparagus, thin slices of red onion, sliced radishes, romaine hearts, and any other veggies that are in the fridge --- all drizzled with an olive oil, lemon dressing.

Craig --- what do you mean "...cooking on the Egg"?

Yum! Everyone's dinner menus sound so good! I have a large piece of baked salmon leftover from last night (I always bake extra). I'll use it in a cool Nicoise salad tonight with hard boiled eggs, sliced steamed red potatoes (marinated with lemon juice, olive oil, etc.), quartered tomatoes, steamed asparagus, thin slices of red onion, sliced radishes, romaine hearts, and any other veggies that are in the fridge --- all drizzled with an olive oil, lemon dressing.

Craig --- what do you mean "...cooking on the Egg"?

Big Green Egg, a kamado style cooker.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f93/sam-i-am-we-have-a-project-80052.html

Last edited:
I never have luck with corn on the grill, how do you do yours CG??

What do you mean by not having luck? What is wrong?

We do it one of two ways: soak ears with the husk on in water, then put on the grill for 8-10 minutes to steam; or, husk them and put on the grill naked for the same amount of time to get grill marks, then slather with a compound butter. Lime, cilantro and chile powder is good.

I never have luck with corn on the grill, how do you do yours CG??
I let Himself do it! :ROFLMAO: Actually, I checked with him and this is how we do it*: He doesn't remember. :huh: I know we strip and clean the corn and soak both the leaves and the corn in a bowl of water. Then (we think) the corn goes on the grill, then the wet leaves go on top. When those get dry he can't remember if he gets rid of them and puts fresh wet ones on top, or if he just keeps piling on. I know somewhere in there he rotates he corn because it gets grilled on all sides. Maybe the dry husks go on the fake coals (we have a gas grill) or they just get pitched. He'll have to pay attention when he does them later.

* Just in case you need an earworm, this popped into my inner ear when I typed "this is how we do it". Sorry, but gotta share. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVi8bJFIac8

Thanks ladies re: the corn. I just find that it seems too chewy and dry. I have done it both in the husk and in foil. Perhaps the soaking is what I was missing. I will give it another go.

And CG....nice try on the ear worm, I'm not going there :). I'm listening to 70's right now....."?Dream Weaver?

Last edited:
Thanks ladies re: the corn. I just find that it seems too chewy and dry. I have done it both in the husk and in foil. Perhaps the soaking is what I was missing. I will give it another go.

And CG....nice try on the ear worm, I'm not going there :). I'm listening to 70's right now....."?Dream Weaver?

I've seen a lot of recipes for grilled corn that call for cooking it for 20 minutes or more. That's way too long and will make it dry out.

We don't grill the corn too long either, just enough to give some of the kernels a nice char. Heck, when we get corn fresh from the farm Himself is not hesitant to strip and wash an ear, then scarf it down raw. I like mine steamed a couple minutes.

Thanks ladies re: the corn. I just find that it seems too chewy and dry. I have done it both in the husk and in foil. Perhaps the soaking is what I was missing. I will give it another go...

I never soak anymore and it is never dry... That is grilling it in the husk. BTW, I never remove the silk first, so maybe that has something to do with it. I've read some people peel the husk, remove the silk and try to put the husk back into place. I simply tear the tuft off, which is probably overkill as it will burn off anyway.

I've seen a lot of recipes for grilled corn that call for cooking it for 20 minutes or more. That's way too long and will make it dry out.

Not in my case. Maybe the heat of the grill has something to do with it. In the husk anyway. If you shuck it first it will dry out in that amount of time, even basting it.

I was in the mood for steak tonight so went to the store and bought another small prime rib roast. I'll bone it, slice it in half and grill one of those ribeyes up. Alongside will be smashed redskins and green beans. I may even grill a Vidalia onion, as the first of them finally made it up here to the shores of Lake Erie.

(For some reason I got confused and posted part of this in the wrong thread)

Went shopping on the way home from the stables and found some UK-grown asparagus. First of the season. Thin baby spears just begging to be steamed simply and served with melted butter. I had a sorting out in the chest freezer yesterday and found a lonely 4 bird roast - chicken, goose, duck and turkey with stuffing in the middle - left unused since Christmas. Needed eating so I thawed it and having it for dinner tonight with roast potatoes and "garden" peas and the asparagus. Serendipity indeed.

The 4 birds will last me for most of the coming week.

Incidentally, the birds came from Aldi's freezer compartment! :ohmy:

I rarely buy meat in supermarkets but this was an impulse buy that turned out to be excellent. However, because I'd allowed myself to be seduced by television cooks telling me I absolutely must use a meat thermometer in order to cook meat properly, I abandoned common sense and my trusty thin bladed knife that I usually use for testing meat for cooked-ness and used the meat thermometer and the meat was a little dry. It tastes very good despite that. Not expensive either IIRC

Look at the marbling on this bad boy. And just $6.99/lb.
I decided I'm going to grill it bone in. And the onion is prepped. I ought to throw that on shortly.

Attachments

• steak and onion1.jpg
    steak and onion1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 189
Dinner tonight was not great.

SO called me from Whole Foods the other day and told me they had sirloin steak on sale for $3.99/LB. I asked her a few questions to try to ascertain if it was a strip or not. That effort was futile. She bought two and brought them home. They were individually wrapped in butcher paper so I stuck them in a ziplock and froze them. She suggested we have one for dinner tonight so I took one out to defrost.

I lighted the grill and unwrapped the steak. It was not a strip steak. I think it was a round steak. Oh well, I went out to clean off the grill to find I'd run out of gas. Good news, I've had a backup bottle for years. Bad news, it was empty too.

So I took out the Griddler and cooked that bad boy up. ...and it was bad. Tough and flavorless.

I made some home fries with onion and mushrooms. They were great! Now I have to find a use for the other one.

PS: The steak looked nothing like pacanis'.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom