"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 01-17-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Executive Chef
What makes stroganoff rich? dinner menu 1/17?

I have a couple of fillet/steaks defrosting. Just the two of us means I won't make a huge batch of stroganoff. My question is, what makes that really rich sauce that you think of 'should' be in the best stroganoff? Is it red wine, vinegar, butter, (I know the sour cream helps) boullion? I used to use the packets mixes in the market when making stroganoff because they seem to contain all the right things. I'd like to make a rich sauce for the shrooms/meat/onions etc. to swim in so the noodles are extra special. Any ideas of how to achieve?
With the beef stronganoff, it's buttered noodles, fresh fruit cut up, fresh veggies as a salad, olive bread that DH bought at Albertson's that is really good and Myer Lemon Meringue pie.
After going through some cookbooks, I am doing what I've seen call for in the various books I've had out of my bed. Red wine and melted butter is what the fillets/steaks are defrosting in. I'll use that liquid to add to the other ingredients for the stroganoff.

Looks like not many are cooking tonight.......Anyone else?

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Master Chef
I'm just doing sloppy joes. I don't feel like cooking this week. All of mine is going to be this weekend.

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
Head Chef
No cooking here - meeting up with some friends for dinner at the brewpub.

Definitely need to try the latest brew though...

A unique ale that’s sure to warm your cockels. Made with wheat, rye, honey malted barley, and juniper berries. A slightly sweet maltiness balanced by the fruity tang of juniper.
ABV: 6.25%
IBU: 15

What to have with it, who knows? Depends on the specials they have, otherwise it'll probably be a rueben.

(And I have no idea with the stroganoff - although I love the stuff! I always thought it was the sour cream...)
ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Lefse, the key to the creamy richness of the stroganoff is sour cream. Just add it when everything is just about done, stir it in and heat it back up.

My version of stroganoff uses marsala wine, sautè the onions, mushrooms and meat, then let it simmer with some wine and a bayleaf. Then at the end the sour cream. The authenticity is a question, but it is always a hit with everyone

However today I am making a risotto with pumpkin and smoked provola and potato and scallion frittata.
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Head Chef
lasagna with spicy italian sausage, garlic bread, and green salad.
Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Egg salad sandwiches and some sliced fruit.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I always cheat with stroganoff, and use some cream of mushroom soup, thinned down with milk, then some sour cream at the end.

Dinner tonight is roasted chicken legs with 40 cloves of garlic, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, gravy, and a veg of some sort, either broccoli or peas.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
My first real day of not having to go to work, hurry home and then decide what's for supper I didn't know what to do with myself So I decided to play in the kitchen and so, we are having the baked squash, mushroom stuffed roast chicken, a pear and grape salad and biscuits and honey.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:51 PM   #9
Master Chef
I had a couple of avocados that were ripe. So, I made some guacamole and then stuffed myself silly (not really but they sure where good) with guacamole and tacos!!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:57 PM   #10
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I had a Veggie Burger and Tater Tots, that I bought for work (easy and quick, since things are hectic, being short-staffed.)

Erik is offline   Reply With Quote