"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-27-2004, 03:43 PM   #11
Head Chef

Because I usually cook from scratch and I'm not always opening a can, jar,box. Not to many folks do that today because of everyones busy schedule.

Old 10-27-2004, 03:43 PM   #12
Executive Chef

This topic is interesting! My family thinks I am a good cook and that is what is most important to me. However, when they want to bring their friends over to eat I don't refuse. But to have them pick onions or tomatoes out of a salad or dinner item bothers me. Half of the food is left on the plate and I have to throw it out. I don't let them bring their friends over but tell them to go out to a restaurant with them where they have to pay for it. I try not to throw food out. This bothers me and therefore no one but family eats at the house unless it is my relation. The kids tell me my mom doesn't fix it like this. Well, my ex used to say 'in you, or on you' and i didn't like his methods but it worked. They won't take anything on their plate if they see they don't care for it. Normally, they will eat anything except for fish and eggs. They both got sick when their father made them eat it. Didn't forget it. Does anyone else have these life threatning problems. I feel awful not letting them eat here but throwing stuff away bothers me worse. Less of two evils.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:18 PM   #13
Hospitality Queen

I'm with Kyles on the "being able to cook something yummy from what you have" - I learned that from my mom. Also, I think that a good cook has to really enjoy eating!
Have you ever met someone who just picks at food, and never really comments on it to be a good cook?
I'm one of those who can still remember an amazing dish from 2 years ago and salivate!
Old 10-27-2004, 04:49 PM   #14
Sous Chef

You know you're a good cook when you go to a friend's house and they're cooking a roast, you get there late, and they say, "Thank God! He's here!" Then you notice the cookbooks they start to put away are all turned to "How to make gravy."
Old 10-27-2004, 06:54 PM   #15
Executive Chef

LOL, PSI - That has so happened to me!

I personally think the glazed look in folks' eyes after they've eaten one of your dishes is the proof you're a good cook!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:56 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

they ask for second helpings or the recipe.

I can't do the chef "flip" thing
Old 10-27-2004, 07:42 PM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I always knew my mom was the best cook in the world, but it was confirmed when my friends started wanting to eat at our house all the time. Family always wanted big dinners to be at our house too. 8) I cook pretty much like she did, so my husband is very happy. I get SO excited (like a little kid, and I am going to be 47 in a week and a half! lol) when something I make turns out like my mom's did.

:) Barbara
Old 10-27-2004, 07:48 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
they ask for second helpings or the recipe.

I can't do the chef "flip" thing
Hey mudbug, I can :) but of course getting the food back in the pan, I still have to master that part
kadesma :)
Old 10-27-2004, 07:56 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

My family gets together every Sunday. And, my kids and dh all think I'm a good cook. I suppose I'm ok, I just insist on fresh hebs and seasoning, good produce, the best quality meat. This might sound Uppity, but, my dad once said get the best, If you get poor quality meat, you more than likely will throw it away, get the best you can, it won't be wasted.
I do have to smile though, I heard my s-i-l, tell a neighbor fellow, who thinks he knows all and can do all about cooking, that , geez, Jon, you should eat at my m-i-l's, she is the best ! :) That kind of made me feel GREAT :)
kadesma :)
Old 10-27-2004, 11:39 PM   #20
Sous Chef

There are two kinds of eaters in the world.........those who eat to live, and those who live to eat. The first group will never be good cooks IMO because they have no natural "feel" for it. The second group will always get the raves in the kitchen because they have a "passion" for it, and will always strive to improve on the original recipe, seek out ways to better themselves and build on their cooking hardware.