What should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just did a post and it poofed. Anyway, liked reading this, didn't know a thing about it. Curious what gramps thought of dinner and also why others didn't seem to like it...could you flat out ask?​

Well, the only ones who ate everything I made was my father, my daughter who is 4, and myself. I tend to be more like my father, and as doe smy daughter. She is the only one I can take over my grand parents house to eat, because she eats everything we do.

As for asking, I hinted around it alittle bit. All I could really understand was Tomatoe Salad was yuck. The idea of Tomatoes in Olive Oil with fresh Basil turned people off.

And about "supersata" ( this is how we say it lol ), it really is a love or hate food. If you weren't rasied on it, you won't like it. I for one LOVE it, and yes, as does my daughter.

Well, you could have served the salad first and then when they ate enough, brought out the soup.

Thank you for the advice. I don't know if you know this or not, but Italians eat salad LAST. This is a funny thing, because when I eat, and it is just me and my daughter, this is what we do. Also same goes whne I eat over my grandfather's or my parents house. However, when my other daughter is home, and I am eating with my wife, we eat the salad first or WITH the meal.

Trust me, it drives me crazy.

I put that in there, the link about the suupersata due to the many ways of saying the same thing, it's like a cornicopia of pronunciations.
You know what? I love toms/basil/olive oil together.
I think this meal is a wash and we should get on to a new day:sleep:

As for asking, I hinted around it alittle bit. All I could really understand was Tomatoe Salad was yuck. The idea of Tomatoes in Olive Oil with fresh Basil turned people off.

If you don't mind a suggestion, adding red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar and fresh mozzarella to that salad turns it into a caprese salad - maybe the addition of an acid element would make it seem more like a regular salad dressing and be more appealing to them. Or maybe I'm just a vinegar freak (actually, I'd admit to that ;)) - I love caprese salad.

It does sound like you put together a nice meal, but you can't please everyone all the time, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. HTH.

PK, I am really late posting on this but I will throw in my bit.

A few years ago I helped our friend's husband with food for a surprise lunch party for her 40th birthday. I gave him my recipe for parmesan chicken strips and while he added sandwich makings and I added in the rest.

Well, I was in the middle of my culinary course and thought I would put my new knowledge to work. I made curried deviled eggs, cucumber cups with a homemade mango salsa, baguette crisps with bocaccini (sp) and roasted red peppers and a basil, tomato and fresh mozza salad with a balsamic vinigrette.

Everyone ooooo'd and ahhhhh'd the food but barely touched it. I was totally crushed. What I found out was that they weren't used to a "black" salad dressing, and the appies were "too fancy". I could never figure it out, but rolled with it and when I do something for a casual meal or get together I try to have more "normal" food and may introduce one or two fancier items only. (not to say your tomatoes and sausage were too fancy.)

I guess what I am saying is that some people are just uncomfortable with too much "new". Soup is comforting no matter what kind it is (though I have a few stories about that too).

I agree with many people who said it was "their loss". I certainly would have eaten it!

If you don't mind a suggestion, adding red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar and fresh mozzarella to that salad turns it into a caprese salad - maybe the addition of an acid element would make it seem more like a regular salad dressing and be more appealing to them. Or maybe I'm just a vinegar freak (actually, I'd admit to that ;)) - I love caprese salad.

It does sound like you put together a nice meal, but you can't please everyone all the time, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. HTH.

Yeah, GG, that's what I made was a caprese, but as I said this group was turned off by "black dressing and white cheese". Guess there is no accounting for some people's taste:LOL:.

Yeah, GG, that's what I made was a caprese, but as I said this group was turned off by "black dressing and white cheese". Guess there is no accounting for some people's taste:LOL:.

Absolutely true. I'm really glad I was open-minded enough to try it the first time I saw it - I just love it :)

PastaKing, I have a bil who will eat nothing his mother did not make him before the age of five. I have never seen such a picky eater.

And there are many others like that in the world.

It is often the 'black salad dressing with white cheese' thing. Some folks are open to new flavors, and some are not. Maybe the sopprasetta, a wonderful sausage, put them off. Who knows.

Or maybe they expect a 'regular' meal with salad, maybe a soup, and a main.

Have no idea.

All I can suggest is move on. I would have loved your meal.

I will say that if someone is lovely enough to cook me a meal I will do my level best to eat it and be appreciative.

As long as it doesn't contain brains, bananas, or boiled eggs, and I will do my best on the last two, I will certainly try to make the cook proud.

Just my two cents.

So, next time invite the two people who ate everything, and add a whole NEW group of people to the invite list in place of the old ones. :rolleyes:

Oh, and make sure the OLD group of people find out you had another get together, without them! :mad:

Yes, I AM one vindictive S.O.B.! Thanks for asking. :LOL:

Did they even try the tomatoes? Its hard (at least where I am) to find decent tomatoes at this time of year. Most of them are mealy and expensive.

I agree. However I paid $3.99 a pound for nice red ones.

Just some people don't know whats good that's all.

You aren't alone there GotGarlic! I love it too and in fact had a variation of it last night!

I didn't see anything wrong with the menu ... although if you want to be in control of what your guests eat ... change you're service order.

Instead of serving the salad and soup at the same time ... serve the salad and bread first. Then when your guests have quit eating the salad, or just start picking at it - bring out the soup, and more bread.

Who wants to east somethig cold while the hot food is getting cold?

Just my 2-cents observation ....

Back
Top Bottom