What should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PastaKing

Senior Cook
First let me say hello. I have never posted on a message board before, so I am looking forward to this. Cooking is my passion, and I LOVE to cook diffrent pasta dishes.:chef:

Ok, here is my problem. Tonight I made a Italian Chicken Soup. My family all came over. My wife never made it to the store, so we didn't have chicken cutlets. We ALWAYS do. So, I made a nice big tomatoe olive oil salad, cut up some mozz cheese and Supersata. No one touched anything but the soup. Well, that's not true. My father ate everything, as did my daughter. As for the other 5 people, nothing.

I am really upset here. How boring are people? Just soup? No one eats tomatoes? No one likes cheese? I can see the supersata because that is a culter food, but tomatoe salad? How frecken boring!!:mad:

Should I be as upset?

Sorry, had to laugh at this "problem".

I learned early on that taking things to personally when it comes to cooking and differences in your tastes and others is just a waste of time.

Look at it this way, EVERYONE enjoyed your soup.

Also, welcome to DC. :)

It was nice of you to have the family over for dinner. Were there kids of varying ages? Maybe they were looking forward to one of your famous pasta dishes?

Did you ask for feedback? Try not to be offended unless someone gives you a specific reason to be. :)

First, when you say Supersata are you talking about the dry-aged sausage Soprassata?

Secondly, they loved your soup! That's good!!!! It just leaves more tomatoes and soprassata for us - give me directions, I'm coming over!!!!! :LOL::pig:

First, when you say Supersata are you talking about the dry-aged sausage Soprassata?

Secondly, they loved your soup! That's good!!!! It just leaves more tomatoes and soprassata for us - give me directions, I'm coming over!!!!! :LOL::pig:

ROFL!!!! Thank you!! Are you in PA? Btw, yes, dry aged and HOME MADE.

No - but I think the sausage and tomatoes will last until I do get there...well, the sausage anyway - I have to work tomorrow, well...and Wednesday we're having a wine dinner with a wine "guru" from Austria, I have to work on Thursday too...and Friday - but like I said - the sausage will still be awesome! :LOL:

First let me say hello. I have never posted on a message board before, so I am looking forward to this. Cooking is my passion, and I LOVE to cook diffrent pasta dishes.:chef:

Ok, here is my problem. Tonight I made a Italian Chicken Soup. My family all came over. My wife never made it to the store, so we didn't have chicken cutlets. We ALWAYS do. So, I made a nice big tomatoe olive oil salad, cut up some mozz cheese and Supersata. No one touched anything but the soup. Well, that's not true. My father ate everything, as did my daughter. As for the other 5 people, nothing.

I am really upset here. How boring are people? Just soup? No one eats tomatoes? No one likes cheese? I can see the supersata because that is a culter food, but tomatoe salad? How frecken boring!!:mad:

Should I be as upset?
Well, I'd sure be upset. I'b be annoyed no end. Let me ask you something, and by the way WELCOME {{{{{PK}}}}}. Be honest here, did it look appetizing? I ask because we eat with our eyes first. If it looks like poo on a plate, then that dictates how much of it we want to put in our mouths. I am sorry for your angst.

I did a dinner once, a hundred years ago, for the guy that sang at our wedding and his wife. We were 20 as were they. I am, and even was then, the best cook I know. It was a dinner right out of a masterful restaurant, lamb shis kabobs on the grill, marinated for 24 hours in everything you can imagine, potatoes from heaven, veggies to die for, a salad that was unbelieveable, home made bread, cocktails before, wine before, appetizers, German chocolate cake from scratch. They said not one word. My husband told me how wonderful dinner was and it was. But our guests went to bed saying only, ''thanks for dinner." I was so sad. Woke up the next morning, they'd spent the night, and left early, as was planned. The note taped to my O'Keefe and Merritt stove said it all. They were exstatic over dinner and words couldn't say properly how they felt or the work that I'd put into it. So, you just never know.

I am sure your meal was wonderful, heck, next time, invite me over:-p.......................and....................I'll help!:LOL:

A thought, since my daughter recently swore off pepperoni after a science class. Is it possible that they know how soprasatta is made and that whole homemade process might just psych them out a little?

Focus on the positive, they adored your soup. It's a great day! :)

If you served the meat, tomatoes and cheese before serving the soup, they may have eaten it. If you served them all at the same time, that could have been confusing.

Personally, I`d have just asked them outright, Why?

you can obviously trust them enough and Know them well enough to be able to Ask that.

Thanks guys for helping me here. I was really upset when I wrote it. I went and saw my little Italian granfather ( who taught me how to cook ) and I told him about it. I tell yea, even at 86 he is very, very wise. Know what he said? He said "they lose". That made me feel alot better.

I just did a post and it poofed. Anyway, liked reading this, didn't know a thing about it. Curious what gramps thought of dinner and also why others didn't seem to like it...could you flat out ask?

Personally... what's really important? I don't mean to sound heartless, but this is ONE meal and you prepared what sounds like delicious fare. I'd chalk it up to the phase of the moon, the emotional state of your guests, etc.

You know you presented your best effort. That's what really counts. Kudos to you for a fabulous meal - including making the sausage yourself - and relish in the fact that the soup was a success.

I've had flubs. We've all had flubs. That's just part of how things work. You did your best. That's what should've been appreciated. Perhaps it wasn't stated the way you would've liked.

Everything sounded lovely to me, BTW.

Well, you could have served the salad first and then when they ate enough, brought out the soup. Frustrating for me, I can't serve any of my Asian cuisine to either my husband's side of the family or mine---it's strictly Texas fare (which we all love) so you lucked out with your supa!

Back
Top Bottom