What should I serve w/a high-end beef stew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If potatoes are not in the stew, herbed new potatoes are great. Bright greens (green beans, sauteed chard, etc.) reds: roasted tomatoes, sauteed red cabbage. a salad course with cheese.

My first thought was polenta. Of course like Robo says, it depends if you have a starch in the stew.

I love ANY stew with dumplings and greens of any description, but I prefer the greens to be simply prepared: a fresh uncomplicated contrast to the taste of the deep untuousness of the stew.

Lulu, I didn't even think of dumplings...I love biscuit dumplings in stew.

Hey Half Baked, I can NEVER forget dumplings! I have, i harte to admit this, been known to ditch game chips with game stews for dumplings (which actually went down very well at a couple of other wise smart weekend country lunches!) and even when I do provide game chips I often stick a couple of dumplings in to thicken the stew and, er, provide supper for the cook and her husband! I simply put them in a bowl with a little stew til supper time.

I HAVE NEVER ADMITTED THAT TO ANYONE APART FROM HUSBAND! LOL

Game chips are the traditional British way to serve potato with gamebirds. They are very very thinly sliced or crisscross cut and fried till crispy, as crispy as what you call "chips" and we call "crisps" and served hot. Most people consider them madatory at a "proper" lunch of grouse, pheasant, quail etc.

Traditional with Boeuf Bourguignon is buttered noodles, and with Provencal Beef Daube, it's a macaroni gratin (without cheese, but with juices from the stew).

Polenta would never be a bad choice, either soft or cakes.

It depends a lot on whether the stew includes potatoes. If the stew is complex and rich, I like to serve it with simple side dishes that won't compete or leave everyone feeling stuffed. What else is in it besides beef and Cabernet?

Roast potatoes are always nice, or sauteed or steamed new potatoes. I've served a simple risotto Milanese with stews and things like lamb shanks. Baked yams are nice -- simple, not too rich. Glazed carrots or fresh peas can be good. Sometimes just some really good bread is the best choice of all.

Last edited:
I tend to leave potatoes out of stews and pot roasts as I don't prefer them cooked that way. I'd rather serve these dishes with mashed potatoes in some form or other.

Back
Top Bottom