"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

lol ishbel.

gobo, i vote for getting another girlfriend. an impossibly skinny one that likes to eat. it'll drive your (current) old girlfriend crazy.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #12
Head Chef

goboenomo,
Reading your post carefully, I suspect you masochistically volunteered for abuse. If I am wrong, and you were tricked into an obligation you would rather not repeat, then I recommend:

Appetizer
Spicy chicken feet
Main Course
Braised tongue with mustard greens
Dessert
Poached cactus pears

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:53 PM   #13
Head Chef

ROFPMSL skilletlicker.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I agree with the others, her diet is rather limited. Pick the main meal (steak, pork, chicken) and then ask them what sides they want with it. Does she like potatoes at least? You can do alot with potatoes. Maybe try a pork tenderloin, with some sort of potatoes, and make a berry compote (cranberries would be good), to server over the pork, and one other vegetable that her parents like.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #15
Hospitality Queen

Gobo, Gobo, Gobo! Your culinary skills and desires to be even more learned in the fine art of cooking are being wasted on this girl and her coddling family. She may be the cat's meow, but honestly, could you imagine getting married to someone like this that you'd have to put aside all cooking aspiratons for? If not, find another girl who appreciates your artistic skills!

With that said, If I were you, I'd cook something I'm really proud to cook, that I love to eat. If she says she's not eating it, say, "Well, that's what I made, and I spent time on it." Don't apologize and don't make her anything else. If she chooses to not eat it, or makes herself something else, I'd finish eating, excuse myself from the table, and go home.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I know all these folks are half-jokingly telling you to toss this girl to the curb, but don't do it over something like her food preferences. My fiancee is really weird about food as well. Granted, not like your girl is gobo, but she is very picky, and really likes plain dishes. That said, we have an excellent relationship, and she loves when I cook for her, b/c it is so easy to cook for her that it's easy to do an awesome job. So while you may not get to test your creativity with her, you should take pleasure in the fact that she has a very simple palette.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #17
Cook

Maybe chicken cordon blue? Pound chicken breasts till thin, layer swiss cheese (maybe try provolone or mozzarella if she's really picky about cheese) and a couple slices of ham or canadian bacon one one half of the chicken. Fold in half (so it looks like a sandwich). Dredge in a small amount of flour (season the flour with salt and pepper and maybe a bit of garlic powder)...then dip into 2 eggs that have been beaten well with 1 tbsp water...then coat with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 mins or till done. I haven't figured out a decent non-veggie side dish for this...but you could always serve with buttered and seasoned egg noodles, and then some veggies for the rest of the fam.

Or, if she's into pizza, you could make some type of Italian pasta dish. A simple ground beef spaghetti sauce on pasta with crusty garlic bread might please everyone.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
My son is ultra-picky. I just make sure that there is something in the meal that he can eat. If he's going to pick the chicken out of a stir fry, I'll just add an extra helping of chicken to the dish.

I can't dump my kid, though. You have options
Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

for picky people - it's easier to just ask what they would like. That way you can't get it wrong.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:31 AM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Well reading over your posts, I see there are alot of different suggests.

She is turning 18 on November 6th. She was brought up eating whatever she wanted. If she didn't want it, they would make something else.
For instance, when I went over for dinner one, her mom made pork in cream of mushroom soup, rice, corn and peas. Since my gf doesnt like any of those, they had to cook the pork alone and add their sauce after, they had to make instant mashed potatoes for her, and thats all she ate.

She is a skinny girl, and she can eat alot, but she doesn't often.
I don't know why you would even suggest leaving her. We've been together for almost 9 months now..... and I..... love her.....( see you gotta know it's true... i said that word... i never say that word) no matter what food she likes a dislikes.