"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-04-2006, 05:37 AM   #21
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Since my gf doesnt like any of those, they had to cook the pork alone and add their sauce after, they had to make instant mashed potatoes for her, and thats all she ate.
Incorrect! They didn't have to, they chose to! and therein lies the difference.

Acceding to her every wish produces, imo, a spoiled child. The adult result is something you may choose to deal with, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Love has NOTHING to do with anything I'm reading here...

You are VERY young and infatuated with her and with life, and that is normal... but be careful about choosing a "spoilt child" as a life partner! Can you say "tribulation????"

EGADS!!!

Old 11-04-2006, 05:45 AM   #22
Head Chef

Hello Goboemo,
Despite ChefJune's lecture, I still reckon the important thing is to have a good time at these events. In these situations, the people are more important than the peas! Ask her what she'd fancy and cook that. That way you're sure to feel comfortable, she's bound to feel happy and her folks will smile the whole meal through.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:29 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

i feel like i'm on an episode of "the o.c.".

if you read everyone's responses in a fast monotone, then it's more like "the gilmore girls"...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #24
Master Chef

I have some experience in dealing with a partner who is a picky eater. Though I love my DW dearly, she has always been a picky eater, but not to the extent of your GF. Even so, I easliy adjusted to making foods she would eat, and prepairing for her healthy meals.

Be aware though, if you choose the woman you describe as a life partner, her inability to eat many wholesome foods will affect her health over time. She might be young, strong, and energetic now, but it will go away after she gets through her twenties. And if she's having any problems because of diet now, they will grow worse and time goes on.

Whether she likes it or not, her body needs a host of nutrients, minerals, and trace elements to maintain good health. If she's not getting them (including phytochemicals only found in veggies and fruits), she will not be able to fully participate in life.

There may be hope for her and your relationship with her. Just be aware that poor eating habits, and being picky, is just another stress on the relationship.

Oh, and because I took upon myself the challenge to prepare healthy foods that my DW will eat, our relationship is just fine, so it can be done. But still, it can be both limiting and exasperating at times, especially if your GW is strong willed and insists that her way is the only right way. DW has gotten over that as I'm the head cook around here and it's my kitchen.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #25
Head Chef

By telling her you care and explaining that eating healthily can only help her with things like her eczema and study perhaps she will be prepared to push her boundries a little in return?

DH has psoriasis, its amazing how much diet can improve skin conditions :) and Goodweed is right, her body may one day have to bear the strain of carrying children (I know its a long way off for eith of you, but it still might happen one day) and they will need good nutrition even if her choice is to reject it.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #26
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Ya.. I'm worried about that. Her mom used to look exactly like and be as fit as my girlfriend, and as picky. Now.. she's........ not pleasant.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #27
Head Chef

If you and your girlfriend are together when you are her mother's age you will love her for more than her looks......when DH and I met I was a well photographed v attractive woman. Ill health led to massive weight gain over just a few montghs, in depresses me, but DH says I'm still the same person and that when my health evens out so will my weight......love is BLIND! but her health is an issue for her, and as I say, for any children she might have. Its very early days for you guys to be thinking anything like that Gobo, but it is for that reason I would not humour too much and try and reach a healthy, happy medium between fussy and healthy.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #28
Hospitality Queen

You hit the nail on the head, Gobo. Have you ever seen anyone in their 40's look ravishing if all they ate was junk? The best looking people, imo, are those that eat lots of fresh foods regularly, take vitamins and try to do what's best for their body.

Here's a thought - take her to the market. Have her choose what she'd like to try (even if you have to sell her on the "pretty color" of the veggie). Let her be in charge of the menu (or so she'll think).

LOL Buckytom to the OC/GG. I've not seen either, but I get it. Actually, now it's almost like we're teaching Gobo.....wax on, wax off.

Best of luck to you, Gobo. We're rooting for you.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #29
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
I know it wont be based on looks, but hey, it would be nice if she still looked close to the same. I got so extremely lucky with her. I'm very picky too, when it comes to girls. For a long time I didn't even care or think about getting a girl. Because I never found one appealing to me. My friends, like most teenagers will be sitting around checking out the girls and pointing them out to each other. But I wouldn't care. When I met her at a party my friend (who is living with me) threw, I walked in, saw her, and thought.... wow... she's kinda pretty. Her and I had a great time at the party. Everyone there knew there was something, and told me to ask her out, which again I hadn't thought of. But I certainly agreed with them. So I did. And obviously she said yes. I later found out she's aswell as picky, a very shy girl, and the fact that we hit it off so well the first night without her... getting too shy and backing off... tell us there was something great.

Oh! She had fish on our first date! She likes halibut. But halibut only.

Oh yeah, she does take vitamin. And she does this big workout session once a week. She goes out for a run with her coach, up and down stairs.

Also she has speedskating. She was telling me last night about having to wake up at 6 30 to go speed skating today. And she's going again tomorrow. So if she sticks with the vitamins, and the speedskating, it can only help keep her healthy, to a point.

So, as unappealing as I am. I still managed to get a very beautiful, as well as physically fit (for the time being, very smart, and nice girl. So definently she's going to stay with me whether I get her gifts at all. But it makes her more happy, and I want her to be as happy as possible while she's in school.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #30
Hospitality Queen

fish! Make fish! She likes it, and you can tell her it's reminiscent of your first date.