"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I think we need to remember one thing here - this thread is about a pre-school aged child. There are some things you just don't give a child this age when they basically have to sometimes feed themselves. I'm sure that you, Lady DeWinters, will take all that into consideration. They have little hands and I seriously doubt can hold a sandwich together that is full of what an adult would have on their sandwich.
Here are feeding/portioning guidelines for Preschoolers (ages 4-6). I have them for toddlers (1-3) and preadolescents (7-10) if anyone's interested.

Milk of dairy--4, 3/4 c servings

Meat, fish, beans, poultry, or eggs--2 servings (1-2 oz meat, 1 egg, 2 TB peanut butter, 1/2 c beans

Vegetables, fruit, or juice--5 servings (1/4-1/2 c or 1/2 c juice)

Grains--4-6 servings (1 slice bread; 1/2 c cereal, rice, pasta or potato)

Old 09-13-2007, 02:01 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Not sure if anyone posted this on here, but I get some Granola Bites for my daughter's lunch. They come in cinnamon, chocolate and peanut butter flavors and are only 90 calories. You might also try secker (sp) pears which are small and sweet for a little one. Mini sandwiches made with whole wheat bread, fresh peanut butter and a low sugar jelly would be a good lunch item. My 4 year old eats carrot sticks and cut up fresh fruit throughout the day.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

this has been a good read, thanks for posting it lady d.

my wife and i have decided to send our son to a school where the policy is all children eat the same meals and snacks all day. that way, there's no competition or jealousy.

just soylent green for everyone.

he starts next monday. i'm soooooo nervous. the oreos i was holding for him are all crumbled.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

BT ....I am formulating a plan to carry Oreo contraband into the school

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
this has been a good read, thanks for posting it lady d.

my wife and i have decided to send our son to a school where the policy is all children eat the same meals and snacks all day. that way, there's no competition or jealousy.

just soylent green for everyone.

he starts next monday. i'm soooooo nervous. the oreos i was holding for him are all crumbled.
I'll be thinking about ya'll BT. Sending your little one off to school is really traumatic. Here's a tip, though: wait to have the good, stiff drink til after you pick him up otherwise they will never let you be a room parent or class chaperone.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, f-m.

no, no drinks that morning. i'll be getting home from work just in time to go along for the ride, and take a few pictures. my little guy can't wait to go, so i hope he understands that we'll be leaving him there for the day.
a nail biting, nerve wracking, stomach wrenching day. for us, that is.

i'm sure he'll be fine.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #27
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
They have little hands and I seriously doubt can hold a sandwich together that is full of what an adult would have on their sandwich.
That's why they make knives. When your done spreading the mayo, mustard, or whatever, set the knife aside, and after the sandwich is assembled, cut it in half, or even quarters if necessary. Most kids prefer diagonal as opposed to parallel. I became quite adept at inserting a cut sandwich into a baggie wihout it falling apart.

I know my kid was the exception when it came to packing a lunch. The people at the pre-school couldn't even believe how much he could put away. If someone forgot their lunch, they'd ask around if anyone had anything they weren't going to eat. His answer was always "NO!"
Old 09-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Recently wrote out the list

My dd attends Kindy. Her school is a private school that has a mandatory lunch program, but because we have her on an all-natural (nothing preserved) diet, she is exempted from it and I pack her a snack and lunch every day. To save myself a lot head-scratching in the late evening/early morning, I wrote out a list of foods that I know she will eat and eat fast enough to (usually) finish in the time allotted. I've been using these foods since she was 3, but just this year actually wrote it all down. Here is *her* list... perhaps you can get some ideas from it. She eats only whole grains and, as best as I can help it, no HFCS. Keep in mind, everything, including any sandwiches, are cut into as near to bite-sized as I can get.

pb or nut butter & fruit spread, honey, or fruit
all-natural turkey with lettuce and cheese in a ww pita, wrap or bread
taco meat, beans, lettuce, and cheese wrap
lox and cream cheese wrap
tas kebap (a Turkish stew dd likes)
börek (a Turkish appetizer with cheese)
homemade chicken nuggets
homemade köfte (made with lamb)
rice (sometimes with cooked peas)
bulgur pilaf
couscous
homemade whole wheat mac and 4 cheese casserole
pea soup with pita croutons
potato soup
chicken soup
sliced pickles
olives & feta cheese salad with pita triangles
carrots
cauliflower
cucumber
broccoli
hummus and pita triangles
Caesar salad (kit... she assembles it herself)
Annie's organic snack crackers
all-natural granola bars
whole wheat pretzels
organic yogurt tubes
plain greek yogurt & fresh fruit
flavored all-natural yogurt or activia
cottage cheese
cheese & crackers
apples
grapes
oranges
cantaloupe
watermelon
pomegranate
pears
peaches
kiwi
strawberries
pineapple

Drink is water in her Sigg bottle or a UHT organic milk.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Lady D,

Does the school allow for lunches/snacks that need to be heated? My kids preschool was very good about that so we were able to send in all sorts of "real" food. Their primary school is cold lunch only which makes it a whole lot more difficult for good lunches. Also, is there refrigeration at the school to keep the lunches cold?

Michael
Old 09-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Lady D,

Does the school allow for lunches/snacks that need to be heated? My kids preschool was very good about that so we were able to send in all sorts of "real" food. Their primary school is cold lunch only which makes it a whole lot more difficult for good lunches. Also, is there refrigeration at the school to keep the lunches cold?

Michael

Hi Michael,

No, the school does not allow food to be heated. I guess they don't want to deal with the mess. I think they're only allowed like 10 minutes for their snacks so the snacks have to be quicky, easily eaten and no mess. They did mention no peanuts and no juice.

I've packed my little one chicken meat wrapped in a tortilla wrap but she complained it was too 'yucky' and did not eat. She did loved the cheese spread with crackers.

Thank you all once again for the good tips. I'm printing out these new ideas to try out!