"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

At our preschool, we were given a list of manufacturers, and we must send in food prepared by them and no other. We can't send in home-cooked snacks, and they have a no-nut rule. I am totally for this! I myself am allergic to soy and peanuts, I developed the allergy as an adult. I understand only too well how dangerous allergies are, and preschoolers are too young to be able to know they should avoid certain foods. It's up to adults to take care of them.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #32
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
At our preschool, we were given a list of manufacturers, and we must send in food prepared by them and no other.
And just how much do these manufacturers pay this preschool to ensure their names make the list?

Old 09-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Oh my goodness, it's a small preschool, nothing nearly so sinister as a payoff. The list is a dozen or more name brands. I know some brands of food have ingredients not listed, so I think these particular brands have just been proven safer. I once bought a jar of almond butter made by a small, little known company, and it had peanut butter in it. (not listed in the ingredients) That would be the reason for the preschool providing a list of manufacturers.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
At our preschool, we were given a list of manufacturers, and we must send in food prepared by them and no other.
Which means that you have to send in processed food. No wonder the US has a childhood obesity epidemic. The local organic farmer isn't on the list, so apples from his orchard aren't acceptable? My goodness, how we have devolved!

If that were the case for dd's school, she's be out of there before she could blink.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Well, it's only for 2 1/2 hours, two mornings a week, he gets plenty of fruit at home. I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and I really need some kind of protein snack between meals, not just fruit. I've noticed with my kids they go a little crazy if their own blood sugar starts to drop without a bit of protein, too. A few crackers are great for a preschooler midmorning with some juice. Because of my own soy allergies I buy a lot of healthy foods at home instead of processed foods. I'm not too worried about that. I also have two teenagers, I've learned I can't keep them in a bubble forever.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Which means that you have to send in processed food. No wonder the US has a childhood obesity epidemic. The local organic farmer isn't on the list, so apples from his orchard aren't acceptable? My goodness, how we have devolved!

If that were the case for dd's school, she's be out of there before she could blink.
I'm with you, Sister. I would be singing from the rafters if anyone deigned to give me a list of pre-packaged, pre-processed food I could have sent in with my kids. While I completely disagree with the no nut policy, at least I can understand the machinations behind that policy. The idea that something 'store bought' could be healthier than home made is preposterous.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

I never said the preschool had stated that store bought was healthier than home made now, did I? As so outspokenly stated, that is preposterous. The food that parents send to school is shared by ALL the children; it is not eaten by their child only. They have to do that so parents don't accidentally send in something made with nuts. I can't tell you how many idiots there are in this world that cook something "healthy", they swear it has no nuts, yet they've added something like chocolate chips that do indeed contain peanuts. Preschoolers will often share their food with the child sitting next to them, so this just eliminates the chance that a child will be given something prepared with nuts. And it helps if they are all sharing the same food so that one child doesn't want what Johnny has, etc.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #38
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
I never said the preschool had stated that store bought was healthier than home made now, did I? As so outspokenly stated, that is preposterous. The food that parents send to school is shared by ALL the children; it is not eaten by their child only. They have to do that so parents don't accidentally send in something made with nuts. I can't tell you how many idiots there are in this world that cook something "healthy", they swear it has no nuts, yet they've added something like chocolate chips that do indeed contain peanuts. Preschoolers will often share their food with the child sitting next to them, so this just eliminates the chance that a child will be given something prepared with nuts. And it helps if they are all sharing the same food so that one child doesn't want what Johnny has, etc.
Actually, I think that’s a pretty good idea. It’s certainly the safest bet when it comes to dangerous food allergies. People without food allergies give very little thought to ingredients and can easily slip in something fatal to a relatively harmless recipe.

You know what really bugs me though, it’s the whole “processed food” thing. I really wish there was another term for it. Unless you’re eating raw veggies and fruits, ALL food is processed. That t-bone steak doesn’t grow on a tree that way.....the cow was butchered and processed. That cheese didn’t develop on it’s own....there is a process involved. That fresh organic broccoli sitting on the counter didn’t turn into broccoli cheese soup on it’s own.....the ingredients were processed to make it so.

Yeah, I know the gripe is all the “additives” that are used in “junk food”. The biggest problem is high sodium content that is used for preservation......but all you have to do is pick low sodium alternatives. They make those. And then there is the concern over trans fatty acids.....but you can pick items where that is reduced or eliminated. How about high sugar content.....there are sugar free alternatives.

There’s nothing wrong with “processed food” in moderation. Everything on this planet should be enjoyed in moderation. I can’t think of one thing that can be enjoyed in excess without penalty.

I’d think it far better that little Johnny gets to share his buddy's baked Lays potato crisps instead of homemade fat-ridden pork cracklin’. Not that I have anything against pork cracklin’ mind you .......but it should be obvious that of the two choices, the baked Lays chips are the better option....even though they are “processed”.

My ketchup, mayo, and mustard are all processed, and they go great with that processed cheese slice on my whole grain bun with that grilled organic beef patty. I mean seriously, even when most scream that processed foods are bad, they completely over look that it is a regular part of the diet, even though you think you are avoiding it by using whole grain this or organic that. Until I figure out how to make my own ketchup, I guess I’m stuck in the “processed food” rut.......and I don’t’ think I’ll ever go through the trouble of figuring that one out!

Moderation. That’s the key.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
Until I figure out how to make my own ketchup, I guess I’m stuck in the “processed food” rut.......and I don’t’ think I’ll ever go through the trouble of figuring that one out!

Send me a case of SouthPaw beer, and I'll send ya a century old Catsup recipe that will blow your Organic beef patty right off your Mulit/Whole grain bun!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #40
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Send me a case of SouthPaw beer, and I'll send ya a century old Catsup recipe that will blow your Organic beef patty right off your Mulit/Whole grain bun!!!
Deal! Is UPS ground good for you????