What to pack for a preschooler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, if you really think about (and there are many things you should NOT think about), there are probably many things that you really wish were processed!

Think about honey for a minute. Plain old sweet and wonderful honey.

Ever give serious consideration to what it is? It’s bee vomit. Yep. The worker bees have a “honey stomach” that is located in front of their digestive stomach. They store nectar from flowers in this first stomach, go back to the hive, and then regurgitate it into another waiting bee’s mouth and its honey stomach. The receiving bee may pass it on to another bee, and then another, and finally it gets regurgitated into the honeycomb where the water evaporates.

Honey for the most part isn’t touched or processed (not cleaned, pasteurized, etc). It’s basically pure unadulterated bee vomit. Nice!

See……some things you shouldn’t think about. :LOL:

You know, if you really think about (and there are many things you should NOT think about), there are probably many things that you really wish were processed!

Think about honey for a minute. Plain old sweet and wonderful honey.

Honey for the most part isn’t touched or processed (not cleaned, pasteurized, etc). It’s basically pure unadulterated bee vomit. Nice!

See……some things you shouldn’t think about. :LOL:

Imagine, if bee vomit can be so delicious unprocessed, how much more yummy would other things be if they weren't processed!!!

Even if you cook food, it's been processed. If you pick it from the vine, it's been processed. The idea of processing is adding artificial ingredients to extend the shelf-life.

I think people split hairs about processed foods because they feel guilty that they are using them, but can't admit it. :rolleyes: I think deep down they know it's not healthy to eat it, yet in today's society, we are bombarded by the "bake it and take it" or fast food mentality that the mind-shift away from that is too hard. So, instead, people go on the offensive about it.

It's no coincidence that there is has been a rapid rise in eating "fake" foods and childhood and adult chronic diseases. In fact, the correlation is nearly 1.00.

Last edited:
It's no coincidence that there is has been a rapid rise in eating "fake" foods and childhood and adult chronic diseases. In fact, the correlation is nearly 1.00.

The real problem is most people don't have a handle on one simple concept.

Moderation.

Anything in excess is bad for you. Did you know that if you drink too much water, it can kill you. That's a fact!

I think the really scary part in the whole processed food idea is those products that gets to be passed on as something else. Take processed cheese, imitation this or that for example. the other day I discovered that the brand I was referring to as butter is labeled margarine (in small letters). now when did that happen?

How about some scary-sounding names like cocoa-based confectionary (passes as a chocolate bar), emulsified milk solids or other like that? I mean if we invent a new food do we have to that??

My solution for this is to get my kids acquainted with food. Do a kitchen project once in a while, let them discover what they eat. At the very least, they'll know its processed food and there exists a real thing that we could try out sometime.

My dd attends Kindy. Her school is a private school that has a mandatory lunch program, but because we have her on an all-natural (nothing preserved) diet, she is exempted from it and I pack her a snack and lunch every day. To save myself a lot head-scratching in the late evening/early morning, I wrote out a list of foods that I know she will eat and eat fast enough to (usually) finish in the time allotted. I've been using these foods since she was 3, but just this year actually wrote it all down. Here is *her* list... perhaps you can get some ideas from it. She eats only whole grains and, as best as I can help it, no HFCS. Keep in mind, everything, including any sandwiches, are cut into as near to bite-sized as I can get. ;)

pb or nut butter & fruit spread, honey, or fruit
all-natural turkey with lettuce and cheese in a ww pita, wrap or bread
taco meat, beans, lettuce, and cheese wrap
lox and cream cheese wrap
tas kebap (a Turkish stew dd likes)
börek (a Turkish appetizer with cheese)
homemade chicken nuggets
homemade köfte (made with lamb)
rice (sometimes with cooked peas)
bulgur pilaf
couscous
homemade whole wheat mac and 4 cheese casserole
pea soup with pita croutons
potato soup
chicken soup
sliced pickles
olives & feta cheese salad with pita triangles
carrots
cauliflower
cucumber
broccoli
hummus and pita triangles
Caesar salad (kit... she assembles it herself)
Annie's organic snack crackers
all-natural granola bars
whole wheat pretzels
organic yogurt tubes
plain greek yogurt & fresh fruit
flavored all-natural yogurt or activia
cottage cheese
cheese & crackers
apples
grapes
oranges
cantaloupe
watermelon
pomegranate
pears
peaches
kiwi
strawberries
pineapple

Drink is water in her Sigg bottle or a UHT organic milk.

Would she enjoy Daikon Radishes?? I find one of my favorite sandwiches is Daikon with butter and sea salt. It would be might tasty with a little cream cheese instead of butter.. the salt I have to have on this sandwich. It would be a different flavor for her, perhaps something new.

Would she enjoy Daikon Radishes?? I find one of my favorite sandwiches is Daikon with butter and sea salt. It would be might tasty with a little cream cheese instead of butter.. the salt I have to have on this sandwich. It would be a different flavor for her, perhaps something new.

We got these in our CSA box once, but they were still too hot for her to eat raw. She has the same problem with horseradish and regular red radishes. It just burns her mouth too much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom