What was for breakfast today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot about this!! We had carmelized French toast & fruited grits.

Carmelize French Toast

4 slices bread
3 eggs
1/4C. milk
dash salt
2Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/2C. brown sugar
1/4C. water

Melt butter in frying pan. Beat eggs, milk, & salt together. Dip bread in egg mixture & fry until light brown & egg is cooked. Remove from pan. Add brown sugar. Stir until melted & sticky. Add water & stir. Place french toast in caramel sauce. Turn to coat, then remove from pan & serve.

I aslo added some cinnamon & nutmeg to the egg mixture & tripled the toast part of the recipe. I only doubled the carmel part.

Fruited Grits

1 1/4C. boiling water
1 1/2oz. instant-cooking grits
1/2C. rasins
1Tbsp. sugar
1/2tsp. cinnamon
1/4tsp. nutmeg
1/4C. chopped nuts(I used pecans)

Stir together grits, rasins. sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, & nuts; pour boiling water over mixture. Sevre warm with milk.

This is also good with dried apples, apricots, or figs.

you really had this for breakfast today??????????????

why don't you open up your own breakfast place?? geeesh ..... makes my bagel look boring.. lol

juliev, i've been waiting in pittsburgh for you to pick me up to go to crewsk's for breakfast......

Yes I did. I don't think I could handle my own breakfast place! I'd go nuts(more than I already am anyway)! Bagles are far from boring! As a matter of fact that's what we're having for breakfast tomorrow. :D

buckytom said:
juliev, i've been waiting in pittsburgh for you to pick me up to go to crewsk's for breakfast......

Hey, do you really want me to pick you up there.. I don't have good experience with Pittsburgh.. I got lost there once.. you could be waiting awhile..

better get something ready for dinner crewsk.. or... late night snack... or just have some shots ready when we arrive.

crewsk said:
Yes I did. I don't think I could handle my own breakfast place! I'd go nuts(more than I already am anyway)! Bagles are far from boring! As a matter of fact that's what we're having for breakfast tomorrow. :D

I have always had a second dream of having my own place.. what kind of place it would be I don't know... it would cost so much money to get started... and there are so many other factors involved... especially where I live.. alot of places are seasonal. I think I could do a good job.. but then there is the thing of finding people that actually want to work and not call in every week or show up.

of course i do, pittsburgh is scaring me. they keep talikng about stillers and youns. and this keg is getting heavy, i might have to start emptying it a little...

LOL.. you'll be half in the bag by the time I get there.. or half in the keg

I would like my own place too. I just don't think I have the patients for it though. There is a little building down the road from my house that is for sale or lease. I would love to have it & do a garden like place. It is built like a road side fruit & veggie stand. I could always sale cakes & sweet goodies from there too.

crewsk said:
I would like my own place too. I just don't think I have the patients for it though. There is a little building down the road from my house that is for sale or lease. I would love to have it & do a garden like place. It is built like a road side fruit & veggie stand. I could always sale cakes & sweet goodies from there too.

There is a place EXACTLY like that in town.. They call it Peterson's. It's been here for, gawd, over 20 years. They sell produce, plants/flowers, baked goods.. you name it. They used to be just a seasonal place, but now it's open year-round

This one just close up about a month or so ago. The old man who owned it got really sick & couldn't do it any more. I have talked to some people around town & they say it has always done pretty good business. It would be great if I could afford it. I'm afraid to ask what they want for it though. I don't want to set myself up for a disappointment.

crewsk said:
This one just close up about a month or so ago. The old man who owned it got really sick & couldn't do it any more. I have talked to some people around town & they say it has always done pretty good business. It would be great if I could afford it. I'm afraid to ask what they want for it though. I don't want to set myself up for a disappointment.

Well, if you ever did decide to do something like that, you could start small. Don't get ahead of yourself too fast. That's how this place started. And... I remember a place starting out as a hotdog stand... it's now a fine-dining restaurant.. same people own it.

I'll keep that in mind. Maybe one day it will happen. I really like the idea of being my own boss & being able to set my own hours & stuff like that.

It's always interesting to see how our heritage and geographical areas affect what we eat. Most of the "breakfasts" I read about here I would have fed to my parrot (when I had him.. had to give him up.. another story)...

I grew up in a little logging/fishing town on the ocean in Oregon... and there EVERY breakfast started with a huge plate of hash brown.. then you figured out what else went with the hashbrowns, e.g. how your THREE eggs were going to be cooked, and whether you were having bacon, ham, or sausage.

(Yes, most restaurants there serve 3 eggs with breakfast.. it's fun to take a visitor to breakfast and when they order "bacon & eggs over easy" and get three eggs, they tell the waitress they didn't order THREE eggs.. and the waitress looks at them like they are a visitor from another planet and says, "well we can't take it back, don't eat it then!" :)

And here in Seattle, in my sailing group anyway, none of us eat "bird food" for breakfast...if you're going to crank u the sails and spend the morning on the water, you need something "substantial"! Sure, we had pancakes or "flap jacks" or.. but nothing got the engine running as well as a huge plate of hashbrowns, sourdough toast, and eggs;/bacon/ham, etc.

I don't eat like that any more because *sigh* as ya gets older.. I/we have to kinda sorta watch the weight thing... but I still often times bake a couple extra potatoes to use for hashbrowns if/when I cook at home.. or I frequent a couple of "greasy spoon" type restaurants down at the harbor when I dock my boat... If a breakfast doesn't have at least 2,000 calories and 60 grams of fat.. it ain't breakfast!

Bird feed is okay for a snack at lunch though... it sharpens one's appetite for the chicken fried steak or steamed dungenss crab with melted butter with french fries for dinner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom