"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
What Was For Dinner - Mon. 20th Oct

DH is tennising again tonight, but thanks to this forum, I made some killer tomato soup, and may do S&P's buffalo shrimp, since I already steamed the shrimp in Old Bay seasoning.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
Master Chef
A boiled dinner with, cabbage, carrots, celery, onions, a ham slice and a ring of kielbasa steamed over two cups of seasoned water for 30-40 minutes.

Tomorrow some of the vegetables will make an appearance at breakfast as a sort of hash and I will use the stock to make a small pot of split pea soup for lunch!

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Head Chef
Halibut wrapped in leeks, cedar wraps, with pesto, lime juice & S&P. Oyster shooters & buffalo shrimp.
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #14
Breakfast for supper. French toast for DH and daughter #2 and pancakes for Bugs and me.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
Sous Chef
We love Philly steak and cheese sandwiches.

This is the closest recipe I could find to mine with some exceptions:

Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

I use red onion instead of white, and use loads of provolone and swiss cheese. Some leftover sauteed mushrooms in garlic and butter are wonderful on these, and we use a mix of ranch and zesty Italian dressings on it. I also threw on some bacon slices I had leftover.

We drooled, we ate, and we watched one of the best movies ever: "Dr. Zhivago."

Afterwards, we had homemade cinnamon-raisin applesauce and because the movie was long, we raided the freezer for some mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I'm stuffed!
Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #16
Master Chef
CCL, those sound really good! But I can tell you neither Geno nor Pat would approve. We tried them both when we were in Philly a couple of years back - we liked Pat's better.

Lots of good-looking plates here! I was half-way through mine when I realized it was pretty enough for a photo session. Oh, well.

I set a half-breast of turkey on a "rack" of whole carrots and celery stalks, along with quartered onions. Basted with a touch of olive oil and Kitchen Bouquet, then sprinkled a mix of seasonings on top. I also made some asparagus to go along with the roasted veggies, and brown rice mix. I sauteed onion in oil, tossed the rice into the onion to coat, then cooked the rice while I toasted and chopped walnuts, chopped parsley, and plumped golden raisins. Mixed that into the rice, and then we made it all-gone! I still have turkey, enough for a meal. I need leftovers tomorrow...I'm getting my hair cut. Her latest appointment - in case I need to go out drinking with my stylist when we're done.
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I will bear in mind the crucial word IS (for dinner) next time GG since most of you spring from US. Incidentally, around 6 p.m. is when I would have dinner anyway. I guess people who work have a later meal.
It just struck me as funny, creative - no big deal. Btw, I don't work and we still usually eat around 7:30 or 8.

But we're in Washington, DC, for a couple of days. DH was at a conference and I went to the National Zoo today. We met back at the hotel at about 5:30, enjoyed some wine and then headed out to dinner. We found a great Asian restaurant near Dupont Circle and got back just in time to watch "Sleepy Hollow."
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:11 AM   #18
Head Chef
Thumbs up

salt and pepper - that looks a very interesting dish! Is it your own concoction? I have never heard of cedar wraps...is the wood thin enough to fold over? (I guess if dampened that could work). How did you cook them - in oven?

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote