What Was For Dinner - Mon. 20th Oct

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creative

Head Chef
I bought some "fresh" gnocci (in a packet...don't judge me!
tongue.gif
) that needed to be eaten.

I recalled better results from frying it (rather than boiling it), so I lightly fried it off in some chicken fat and mixed it into cooked carrots, peas and red pepper - along with fried onions, garlic, tomato puree and harissa. Plated it up and topped off with some good grated cheese it was quite good.

Fettuccine Alfredo. With homemade fettuccine if I have the energy. We'll also have a salad.

I guess the curry I cooked a few nights ago didn't quite satisfy GF. She was hinting around for some butter chicken because it is my day off and it takes a bit of prep and cook time. It is damp and rainy out, so on goes the jazz, crack a cold one, do some house work and make some up. I am also going to make up some cauliflower pakora and onion bahji while I have the oil out. I have some tamarind chutney going right now. GF hates the smell of asafoetida. She says it smells like stinky armpits. I guess I like the smell of stinky armpits because I think it smells delightful in the place....:sick:

She just lit a bunch of candles...ha ha ha!

Last edited:
...GF hates the smell of asafoetida. She says it smells like stinky armpits. I guess I like the smell of stinky armpits because I think it smells delightful in the place....:sick:

She just lit a bunch of candles...ha ha ha!
LOL... my wife's the same way. I don't mind the smell myself, but it does seem to permeate everything in the cupboard. I have to store it in a plastic bag, and then store the plastic bag in a container with an airtight lid. Even then, she swears she can still smell it. :ermm:

My daughter actually calls it "azz-and-feet-ida" because of the smell! :LOL:

Last edited:
dw, despite all of her flaws :cool:, is being really great and is making chicken parm a spaghetti. my fave.

in fact, i love it so much that when i had my wisdom teeth pulled and was only supposed to eat soft foods for a few days, i took my mom's chicken parm and pasta and pulsed it in a blender so i could eat it.

Last edited:
What was for dinner? Funny to see that, since it's only 6:20 pm here right now ;) We're going to head to Dupont Circle here in DC and see what looks good when we get off the metro.

Last edited:
What was for dinner? Funny to see that, since it's only 6:20 pm here right now ;) We're going to head to Dupont Circle here in DC and see what looks good when we get off the metro.
I will bear in mind the crucial word IS (for dinner) next time GG since most of you spring from US. Incidentally, around 6 p.m. is when I would have dinner anyway. I guess people who work have a later meal.

Last edited:
DH is tennising again tonight, but thanks to this forum, I made some killer tomato soup, and may do S&P's buffalo shrimp, since I already steamed the shrimp in Old Bay seasoning.

Last edited:
A boiled dinner with, cabbage, carrots, celery, onions, a ham slice and a ring of kielbasa steamed over two cups of seasoned water for 30-40 minutes.

Tomorrow some of the vegetables will make an appearance at breakfast as a sort of hash and I will use the stock to make a small pot of split pea soup for lunch!

We love Philly steak and cheese sandwiches.

This is the closest recipe I could find to mine with some exceptions:

Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

I use red onion instead of white, and use loads of provolone and swiss cheese. Some leftover sauteed mushrooms in garlic and butter are wonderful on these, and we use a mix of ranch and zesty Italian dressings on it. I also threw on some bacon slices I had leftover.

We drooled, we ate, and we watched one of the best movies ever: "Dr. Zhivago."

Afterwards, we had homemade cinnamon-raisin applesauce and because the movie was long, we raided the freezer for some mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I'm stuffed!

CCL, those sound really good! But I can tell you neither Geno nor Pat would approve. We tried them both when we were in Philly a couple of years back - we liked Pat's better. :yum:

Lots of good-looking plates here! I was half-way through mine when I realized it was pretty enough for a photo session. :( Oh, well.

I set a half-breast of turkey on a "rack" of whole carrots and celery stalks, along with quartered onions. Basted with a touch of olive oil and Kitchen Bouquet, then sprinkled a mix of seasonings on top. I also made some asparagus to go along with the roasted veggies, and brown rice mix. I sauteed onion in oil, tossed the rice into the onion to coat, then cooked the rice while I toasted and chopped walnuts, chopped parsley, and plumped golden raisins. Mixed that into the rice, and then we made it all-gone! I still have turkey, enough for a meal. I need leftovers tomorrow...I'm getting my hair cut. Her latest appointment - in case I need to go out drinking with my stylist when we're done. :ohmy:

I will bear in mind the crucial word IS (for dinner) next time GG since most of you spring from US. Incidentally, around 6 p.m. is when I would have dinner anyway. I guess people who work have a later meal.

It just struck me as funny, creative - no big deal. Btw, I don't work and we still usually eat around 7:30 or 8.

But we're in Washington, DC, for a couple of days. DH was at a conference and I went to the National Zoo today. We met back at the hotel at about 5:30, enjoyed some wine and then headed out to dinner. We found a great Asian restaurant near Dupont Circle and got back just in time to watch "Sleepy Hollow."

salt and pepper - that looks a very interesting dish! Is it your own concoction? I have never heard of cedar wraps...is the wood thin enough to fold over? (I guess if dampened that could work). How did you cook them - in oven?

Back
Top Bottom