What we ate on Wednesday (09/10/14)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, it most certainly can be done.

caslon, that looks great!

if you can still do it, pull out that rosemary and mince it. those little spikes can be unpleasant later on.

if not, no problem. you might be able to fish them out as you make your gravy.

I sometimes put the potatoes in with the rest of the pot roast from the beginning. It makes the liquid thicker, because the potatoes fall apart and partially dissolve into the braising liquid.

And then ya got beef stew, not a pot roast. I see now what you're all saying about adding in the potatoes later on.

Thanks. I absent mindedly grabbed the white knob of the casserole lid to get the sprigs out. Ouch! Nothing bad, but I need to put local anesthesia ointment on my shopping list.

Yikes! For long cooked stuff, I have never had a sprig of rosemary choke anyone. I just let it meld into the dish, the leaves soften and I just pull out the (mostly by then leafless) twigs.

Right. I tried to mince them up fine (as suggested) so that they kinda disappear and don't suddenly hit you while eating the rest of this meal. I also took out half of the Rosemary and Thyme to prevent one herb or whatever coming to the forefront of a meal with its "presence." For only a 13 oz roast, I bet you need just a little bit of rosemary and thyme.

Last edited:
Wednesday I was lazy. I just got marinated chicken drumlets, (garlic and lemon) and served them on a bed of rice. But it was nice.

Right. I tried to mince them up fine (as suggested) so that they kinda disappear and don't suddenly hit you while eating the rest of this meal. I also took out half of the Rosemary and Thyme to prevent one herb or whatever coming to the forefront of a meal with its "presence." For only a 13 oz roast, I bet you need just a little bit of rosemary and thyme.

I find that I can never overdo thyme. Rosemary, as it cooks, pretty much disappears too, but a little does go a long way. One sprig should be enough.

Nothing as exciting as Caslon's pot roast, I made garden salads and dressed up a previously frozen Pizzeria Uno sausage pizza. I added black olives and mushrooms on my side, Himself had mushrooms and turkey pepperoni. He saw it when we were at Market Basket on Sunday and decided to take a chance. Surprisingly good considering the lower calorie and fat content. He said I can buy it again. A small win for his arteries!

, I have never had ... rosemary choke anyone. .

i've never had rosemary choke anyone, either.

no matter how much i offered her.

but seriously, my rosemary must be spikier than yours. i find getting a mouthful of long cooked food (read soft) with even a single spike in it unpleasant.

I find that I can never overdo thyme. Rosemary, as it cooks, pretty much disappears too, but a little does go a long way. One sprig should be enough.

?
Herbs can smell powerful while cooking, but not necessarily impart that aroma into the meat and whatevers nearby.?

BTW..its been over 1.5 hours at 225F. I poked both the roast and the potatoes and both need more cooking time.

Last edited:
Way to go Caslon...I bet your dinner was great!

We had a basket of grilled marinated veggies, along with TJ's Brown Rice Medley (love that stuff) with grilled sticks of shrimp brushed with olive oil and seasoned with Tajin' (lime, salt and chili). Good eats...

img_1386605_0_d70878f7bce20204b85421b7cb29e124.jpg

i've never had rosemary choke anyone, either.

no matter how much i offered her.

but seriously, my rosemary must be spikier than yours. i find getting a mouthful of long cooked food (read soft) with even a single spike in it unpleasant.

:LOL: Thanks for the image, BT. I defrosted some homemade soup the other day that had rosemary needles in it, you couldn't tell it was there. Not even chewy.

Good Gravy, Kayelle, that is absolutely gorgeous! :yum:

Last edited:
Yummy!

I'm still surf and turf cooking up jumbo shrimp.
I never know what other dish to serve with it...but steak. Kudos to you!

In younger days, Guyamas, Mexico, friend got sick after eating freshly caught shrimp. WAIT!
They were so good...he put away almost 2 kilos... of freshly caught jumbo shrimp, bought on the beach, butterflied with a knife on the spot, coated with melted butter and garlic powder, then grilled up by the dozen with one of those hamburger "baskets". That made it easier to do an assembly line, lol.

Last edited:
2 hours and 10 min.

Meat done. Vegetables not soggy, hehe.

The meat is like it should be....you have to slice it, it's not supposed to be pull apart.

The veggies have a nice flavor...picking up the herbs no doubt.

I wouldn't mind the meat having some more infused rosemary/thyme flavor. It's good mind you.

Other than that? Cooking with fresh thyme and rosemary rocks.

(I also need to add less beef stock next time).

learning...still learning.

In mens 6 man volleyball, it's a given that you can spend at least 10 years at each one of those 6 positions to master it.

Last edited:
I added a bit too much beef stock. I didn't realize how much moisture is in the carrots, potatoes, celery, onions. That water gets released during cooking in a covered pot.

Still, the veggies are just firm enough and the meat could use slicing and is done but not pull apart over done.

I'm using a lot less beef stock next go round.

For a small chuck roast done pot roast style, I think I'll still load in the potatoes at the start, just cause I'm lazy.

Last edited:
OK. I definitely failed not heading advice about not adding potatoes at the beginning. The potatoes were the right texture when I stopped cooking, but the meat could have used an extra half hour of cooking time, at which time, the potatoes would've been overcooked, mushy.

Anyways, it's not so scary learning...hehe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom