What we ate on Wednesday (09/10/14)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
Well, I did baked Salmon fillets with a sort of balsamic glaze, mushrooms sautéed in butter and freshly grated nutmeg, and some herby couscous. Unfortunately, I realised when it was ready that I was still full from a rather generous lunch at work so I don't know how it tasted. However, my brother pronounced it "bang on", so hopefully it was okay. I'll probably see about re-heating it a bit later but it might be rather dry by then.

Anyway, that's my sad culinary tale - what about everyone else?

A NOLA staple for lunch on Monday, but rules are to be broken and we're having it for supper this evening. Red beans and rice. The andouille is from a batch we made and smoked on Labor Day.

Tonight's repast will consist of a grilled burger made with a 50/50 blend of Italian sausage and ground beef. I'll finish it with mayo, cheese and tomato. A side salad and a beer will round out the meal.

A dessert of chocolate cake with a ganache topping will follow later.

I actually made the cake yesterday because it's my grandson's favorite and I have him after school for two days.

A NOLA staple for lunch on Monday, but rules are to be broken and we're having it for supper this evening. Red beans and rice. The andouille is from a batch we made and smoked on Labor Day.

"NOLA"?? Explain please Craig!

And I totally agree about breaking rules! :)

I'm planning on chicken fajitas with a combo of garden-fresh and farmer's market veggies, plus guacamole - unfortunately, can't get the avocados locally.

I'm planning on chicken fajitas with a combo of garden-fresh and farmer's market veggies, plus guacamole - unfortunately, can't get the avocados locally.

Bet your avocados are a tad more "local" than the rock hard efforts I have to put up with! (If I want a "ripe" avocado I will have to pay a small fortune for it - labelled "ripe and ready")

Er, but I digress! (Don't want to get chucked off the site just as I started re-posting!)

Your Chicken Fajitas sound delicious! :yum:

Bet your avocados are a tad more "local" than the rock hard efforts I have to put up with! (If I want a "ripe" avocado I will have to pay a small fortune for it - labelled "ripe and ready")

Er, but I digress! (Don't want to get chucked off the site just as I started re-posting!)

Avocados generally take a week or so to ripen after being picked. If they were kept in a nitrogen environment before reaching your grocer, then the ripening process has been delayed.

TB had gluten free smokies with tomatoes and cucumber out of our garden.

I had the fresh veggies as part of a quinoa salad with some goat cheese sprinkled on top and a raspberry vinaigrette.

I am trying to use up as much of our organic produce as possible so will have another form of salad for my lighter meal at 5. TB has sandwiches packed as usual!

:blush:
Avocados generally take a week or so to ripen after being picked. If they were kept in a nitrogen environment before reaching your grocer, then the ripening process has been delayed.

Hi Craig.

I suspect most of the avocados that reach British shores are basically destroyed on the altar of "shelf life". They never soften/ripen. They just seem to go brown inside. So you have to buy the "organic" ones which haven't been "preserved" and which cost a fortune.

(I do wonder why there are so many of the rock hard ones for sale, when nobody would buy them after one or maybe two failed attempts at a decent guacamole.)

I am pretty sure there was a thread about avocadoes. (Mods - I know, my bad.) :blush:

Hee hee! You can't digress more than we already do! ;) Welcome back!

A tossed salad of kale, chard, kohlrabi, red lettuce, grated beets, carrots, blanched corn and green beans. Yes, I'm at the farm. The "dressing" was the salsa that didn't get jarred, and a bit of grated parm on top.

TB had gluten free smokies with tomatoes and cucumber out of our garden.

I had the fresh veggies as part of a quinoa salad with some goat cheese sprinkled on top and a raspberry vinaigrette.

I am trying to use up as much of our organic produce as possible so will have another form of salad for my lighter meal at 5. TB has sandwiches packed as usual!

Hey LPB!

I love goat's cheese. (Well, not the really strong kind - and recently I tried a blue goat's cheese which was not pleasant at all!) :ermm: But there are loads of nice goat's cheeses around, and they are fantastic with salad. Hadn't thought of raspberry vinaigrette but that sounds really tasty!

Back
Top Bottom