What will you do with your leftover turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Mom makes this every week-end after Thanksgiving.

Turkey Jook

Ingredients:
turkey bones, skin and fat
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1T Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/4 lb. turkey (or chicken) gizzards & hearts, chopped
2 Cans Chicken Broth (No sodium added)
1/2 lb. ground pork
1/3 cup long grain rice
Chinese Parsley (Cilantro)

Directions:
Put all ingredients up to Chicken Stock in stock pot, cover bones with water. This will need to cook at a low simmer for at least (2) hours
After two (2) hours, remove all bones to a plate, cool, remove meat and shred.
Add to broth the ground pork and the long grain rice. Stir every fifteen (15) minutes or so to prevent rice from sticking to bottom.
Chop chinese parsley and chill in separate garnish dishes.
Return shredded turkey to pot. Serve in bowls with garnsihes, white pepper and shoyu to taste.

i'm not the one cooking this year. we're going to other relative's houses. but if whenever we have leftover turkey we usually make soup

pdswife said:
We won't have one until Christmas but with that I'll
make sandwiches and soup. Turkey isn't our favorite meat so
I buy the smallest one possible.

If turkey is not your favorite meat, then why do you eat it at all?

Grace

kadesma said:
With all the kids and grandkids, plus mom, my sister and her daughter, there isn't all that much left over..I usually hide several slices of the white meat and make DH and I a sandwich with dressing, cranberries,mayo, and lettuce or with hot gravey..plus we warm up any leftover ravs and dressing as well...But the kids all take home ravs,stuffed onions,or zukes,turkey,stuffing,gravey foccacia,so as you can guess our table groans on the big bird day..Soup,enchilladas, all the other goodies you all mentioned..In my dreams or at an eat out place..We hit things around here likea swarm of locusts :ROFLMAO:

kadesma

kadesma, could you enlighten me on what a "rav" is?

Since my fridge is broken, I'll be sending all the leftovers over to my sons house. His reply when I asked him if he could do that was, and I quote, "Woohoo"!!!!!!!

First will be a turkey sandwich, then turkey soup with dumplings and hot turkey sandwich with dressing smothered in gravy.I have bought 5 turkeys so far this season as they are on sale and what other great meat can you buy at 49 cents up to 89 cents a lb?

Looks like evrybody have pretty much the same idea. I love turkey, I love the soup, I love the sandwiches.

Well, Savannah brought home a neat little gift from school today to use up some leftover turkey. It's a little bag with rice & onion soup mix in it called Gobble-Good Turkey Casserole. So, I'll be making that. This is what's in it:

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1pkg onion soup mix (in bag)
1C rice (in bag)
1 1/2C milk
2-3C leftover turkey

Combine all ingredients in a large casserole dish. Bake covered 45 minutes at 350F.

AllenMI said:
kadesma, could you enlighten me on what a "rav" is?
Sorry Allen, it's my husbands Italian family way of saying ravioli, "pass the ravs please"
kadesma:)

lindatooo said:
They do sell plastic-ware though that will serve the same purpose!

I love those!

I was watching a cooking show the other day where the chef put leftovers in heavy duty foil and twisted it up in the shape of a turkey for his guest to take home. It looked so easy when he did it.

I bought some of those heavy duty inter-locking plates and bowls. The kids have just about made off with all my tuperware.

Turkey sandwiches with crusty white farmhouse bread. I like mine with English stuffing and cranberry sauce, dh likes his with HP sauce on. After all the sandwiches, there's never a lot left to make much else with...but sometimes I will do a turkey stew.

Paint.

amber said:
Three days max on the leftovers, but yea, sandwiches, pot pies, and maybe burgers with lettuce, tomatoes, horseradish.

I use them for up to 5 days without freezing... in 50+ years never had a problem. We don't let the leftover meat sit around while we have dessert though... always bag and refrigerate as soon as possible after the main meal.

And I love the sandwiches... just turkey, Miracle Whip and lettuce on whatever bread is available.... and I can live without the lettuce.... :LOL:

And hot turkey sandwiches with mashed potatoes, dressing and gravy... Mmmmmmmmmm....

When the carcass is cool, I'll put on latex gloves and pull all the meat off of it. I'll trim it up of gristle and such. Normally I go with a big bird, because I like the leftovers. My favorite thing to do with leftover turkey is fry it in butter.

All my leftovers that didn't get sent home in care packages and wouldn't fit into the fridge are sitting out on the deck in coolers to keep them from freezing. (It's in the 20's)
The plates that snapped together worked perfect for the care packages, and the kids were tickled to have goodies to take home. My husband and I still have plenty left for our needs. Later, I'm going to attack the turkey carcass, a job that I love, because I like nibbling on all those succulent little pieces around the bones. I'll boil the carcass for broth, and put it in the freezer for soup later.
After we get tired of eating leftovers, if there's any turkey left, I'll freeze a few small packets to use in dishes later, as we'll probably be ready for a big juicy steak by then.

I also do enchildadas, soups, and basically anything that I usually use cooked chicken for, I just sub with turkey. I also feed some of it to the kitten. Luckily we're having another get together tomorrow, so I'm sneeking the leftovers into the food. lol

Here's the soup I made today. Extremely easy & very tasty. Only 2 servings are left. :-(

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

3 Tablespoons butter
1/2 Cup chopped onion
2 Cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 Pounds cooked chicken or turkey
2 cubes chicken bouillon
1 Cup hot water
3/4 Teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups half & half, or more
taco seasoning, to taste
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 14.75 oz can cream style corn
2 15.25 oz cans whole kernel corn
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
hot pepper sauce, to taste

Instructions: In large soup pot, saute onion & garlic in butter until onion is tender. Stir in cooked poultry until heated thru.

Dissolve bouillon in hot water, Pour into pot & season with cumin. Bring to a boil. Cover & simmer for 5 minutes.

Stir in half & half, taco seasoning, cheese, corn, tomatoes, & hot pepper sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.

Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.

Back
Top Bottom