"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 11-22-2005, 04:00 PM   #31
Master Chef
Originally Posted by lindatooo
They do sell plastic-ware though that will serve the same purpose!

I love those!

I was watching a cooking show the other day where the chef put leftovers in heavy duty foil and twisted it up in the shape of a turkey for his guest to take home. It looked so easy when he did it.

I bought some of those heavy duty inter-locking plates and bowls. The kids have just about made off with all my tuperware.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:49 PM   #32
Senior Cook
Turkey sandwiches with crusty white farmhouse bread. I like mine with English stuffing and cranberry sauce, dh likes his with HP sauce on. After all the sandwiches, there's never a lot left to make much else with...but sometimes I will do a turkey stew.

British ex-pat living in Colorado, USA
Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 09:26 AM   #33
Head Chef
Originally Posted by amber
Three days max on the leftovers, but yea, sandwiches, pot pies, and maybe burgers with lettuce, tomatoes, horseradish.
I use them for up to 5 days without freezing... in 50+ years never had a problem. We don't let the leftover meat sit around while we have dessert though... always bag and refrigerate as soon as possible after the main meal.

And I love the sandwiches... just turkey, Miracle Whip and lettuce on whatever bread is available.... and I can live without the lettuce....

And hot turkey sandwiches with mashed potatoes, dressing and gravy... Mmmmmmmmmm....
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #34
Head Chef
When the carcass is cool, I'll put on latex gloves and pull all the meat off of it. I'll trim it up of gristle and such. Normally I go with a big bird, because I like the leftovers. My favorite thing to do with leftover turkey is fry it in butter.
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:40 AM   #35
Master Chef
All my leftovers that didn't get sent home in care packages and wouldn't fit into the fridge are sitting out on the deck in coolers to keep them from freezing. (It's in the 20's)
The plates that snapped together worked perfect for the care packages, and the kids were tickled to have goodies to take home. My husband and I still have plenty left for our needs. Later, I'm going to attack the turkey carcass, a job that I love, because I like nibbling on all those succulent little pieces around the bones. I'll boil the carcass for broth, and put it in the freezer for soup later.
After we get tired of eating leftovers, if there's any turkey left, I'll freeze a few small packets to use in dishes later, as we'll probably be ready for a big juicy steak by then.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #36
Assistant Cook
I also do enchildadas, soups, and basically anything that I usually use cooked chicken for, I just sub with turkey. I also feed some of it to the kitten. Luckily we're having another get together tomorrow, so I'm sneeking the leftovers into the food. lol
Vicious Vaness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:46 PM   #37
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Open faced turkey sandwich stacks (yum), and Turkey and Corn Chowder (double yum)
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #38
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Here's the soup I made today. Extremely easy & very tasty. Only 2 servings are left. :-(

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

3 Tablespoons butter
1/2 Cup chopped onion
2 Cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 Pounds cooked chicken or turkey
2 cubes chicken bouillon
1 Cup hot water
3/4 Teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups half & half, or more
taco seasoning, to taste
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 14.75 oz can cream style corn
2 15.25 oz cans whole kernel corn
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
hot pepper sauce, to taste

Instructions: In large soup pot, saute onion & garlic in butter until onion is tender. Stir in cooked poultry until heated thru.

Dissolve bouillon in hot water, Pour into pot & season with cumin. Bring to a boil. Cover & simmer for 5 minutes.

Stir in half & half, taco seasoning, cheese, corn, tomatoes, & hot pepper sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.

Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.

I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote