What will you do with your leftover turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I will probably make a turkey pie, open-face turkey sandwiches with gravy, maybe some ground turkey burgers. So what do you make with your leftover turkey?

We won't have one until Christmas but with that I'll
make sandwiches and soup. Turkey isn't our favorite meat so
I buy the smallest one possible.

Our leftover turkey will be in Chicago and we will be back in Virginia. But if I had the leftovers, I would certainly make tetrazzini and some nice sandwiches.

Turkey and Cranberry wraps, Turkey paninis, and Turkey Salads.

I'm planning on making extra cranberry sauce because I can't stand turkey without it.

We won't have leftovers from sisters house. She got a 22 lb. bird, but, we'll be having 36 of our family this year:wacko:
But DH is frying me one just for us on Friday. We'll use it for, enchildadas salads, adding mayo for turkey salad sandwiches and turkey, gravy and mayo sandwiches:)

Last year, by the time I sent home a couple of "care packages" with my children, we only had enough left for sandwiches the next day.
This year, I bought a 22 lb. bird, so hopefully I'll have some leftover. We love turkey & dressing sandwiches. I also like to freeze small packages for soup, a la king, turkey salad, turkey tettrazini, hot browns, etc. I also boil the carcass for good broth, which I freeze in a large ziplock to use later.
I got this from my aunt, a professional. Cousin said whenever they saw a bird on the table, the next night they could count on soup.
We love turkey, and I cook it all year long.

As many sandwiches as I can possibly eat in 3-4 days! If there is anything left over - turkey-pot-pies, turkey noodle soup, turkey a la king on toast. I always buy a bigger bird than I need for "turkey day" because, for me, the left overs are the best part ... and I don't have to cook for a few days!

Constance said:
Last year, by the time I sent home a couple of "care packages" with my children, we only had enough left for sandwiches the next day.
This year, I bought a 22 lb. bird, so hopefully I'll have some leftover. We love turkey & dressing sandwiches. I also like to freeze small packages for soup, a la king, turkey salad, turkey tettrazini, hot browns, etc. I also boil the carcass for good broth, which I freeze in a large ziplock to use later.
I got this from my aunt, a professional. Cousin said whenever they saw a bird on the table, the next night they could count on soup.
We love turkey, and I cook it all year long.

I love the idea of "care packages" :) Send them home with some goodies. I was looking for those those little foil tins in sections, because my parents used to make "tv dinners" from our leftovers, but no one sells them anymore. :huh:

Michael in FtW said:
As many sandwiches as I can possibly eat in 3-4 days! If there is anything left over - turkey-pot-pies, turkey noodle soup, turkey a la king on toast. I always buy a bigger bird than I need for "turkey day" because, for me, the left overs are the best part ... and I don't have to cook for a few days!

Three days max on the leftovers, but yea, sandwiches, pot pies, and maybe burgers with lettuce, tomatoes, horseradish.

Turkey sammys drowning in gravy, no doubt. After that, probably a freezer bag of turkey that will suffer from severe freezer burn and eventually be thrown out. Status quo around here!

We cook a big enough bird and dressing to have plenty of leftovers, which are carefully wrapped, labeled and frozen to reappear on Christmas Day so Christmas dinner isn't a major production.

we will have two dinners of the main items...then freeze the bones and carcass till deep winter ( feb or so) and make soup then.

Thanksgiving evening I like to eat it cold along with a couple rolls and cranberry salad. The next night or two I like turkey in gravy over dressing (sometimes I freeze the turkey and have this later). The last night of left-overs, I usually do turkey and noodles (I guess you could say turkey-noodle soup, but heavier on the noodles and lighter on the soup).

:) Barbara

I have a whole list of things that can be made with leftover turkey. For me, I like to make a BIG batch of turkey-noodle soup, also heavy on the turkey and noodles, light on the soup. PeppA, my MIL, and the old boys will probably end up eating most of the leftover turkey, dressing, and gravy, for a couple days afterwards. I miss my Mom's turkey enchiladas. Maybe I'll get the stuff to make a batch, and do that shortly afterwards.

What is this leftover turkey you speak of?

I've never seen that at our house. :angel:

John

With all the kids and grandkids, plus mom, my sister and her daughter, there isn't all that much left over..I usually hide several slices of the white meat and make DH and I a sandwich with dressing, cranberries,mayo, and lettuce or with hot gravey..plus we warm up any leftover ravs and dressing as well...But the kids all take home ravs,stuffed onions,or zukes,turkey,stuffing,gravey foccacia,so as you can guess our table groans on the big bird day..Soup,enchilladas, all the other goodies you all mentioned..In my dreams or at an eat out place..We hit things around here likea swarm of locusts :ROFLMAO:

kadesma

amber said:
I love the idea of "care packages" :) Send them home with some goodies. I was looking for those those little foil tins in sections, because my parents used to make "tv dinners" from our leftovers, but no one sells them anymore. :huh:

They do sell plastic-ware though that will serve the same purpose!

I love those!

Back
Top Bottom