"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #11
Head Chef

Thanks KeyLimeP. They are cancelling all sorts of stuff off tomorrow (Monday) like school, maybe residential postal delivery, etc. Hey you, Andy, the restaurants are not all up and going...delivery is on hold. Somebody saw the bread delivery truck in the ditch. Thanks to you guys, I've tried a lot of new things.
We had the sardine sandwiches and yes, they are comfort food. If I don't have it to try now, I'm adding to my grocery list. I may even create a new list.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:03 AM   #12
Master Chef

Don't ask me why, but that storm hit every place around us, but not Galena. If you drove a half hour in any direction, you'd be in feet of snow. We didn't get enough to coat the grass. I'm a food hoarder. I know we could live a month off the food I just happen to keep in the house on a regular basis. The salads would suffer after a few days, but everything else would be fine.

Most canned vegetables can be drained and dressed with whatever dressing you have on hand or a simple oil & vinegar for a salad.

I always have several kinds of rice and pasta in the pantry.

Frozen veggies are my favorite fall-back. Toss a hand full into the aforementioned pasta or rice, cook it up in some stock and spices, and you have a meal.

Canned beans. Drain and toss with rice or pasta and you have a complete meal. Throw into some broth, stock, or canned tomatoes and you have a great soup. This is a great emergency staple that is very nutritious. Having weathered a few hurricanes in my life, I can tell you that a hand operated can opener and cans of beans will see you through any storm!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like a homemade soup and hot buttered cormbread event to me....

Stay warm.....

Uncle Bob
Old 12-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #14
Master Chef

We got about 8 inches of snow, and some cold weather. But where I live, that's just normal. It's about 17 degrees here. Way back in about '98, we got 5 feet in a day and a night. That slowed us down for a day. But we were back to normal by the 2nd day after. Driving through blizzards where you can't see the front of your car is not unheard of up here. And as a teen, I used to be challenged, and challenge my freinds to see who could get there cars/trucks through the deepest snow without getting stuck. And icy driving conditions, that's an everyday thing from December to the end of March, and sometimes half-way through April.

I remember the first time I was away from home, stationed in the Memphis, TN. area, and we got a little freezing rain. The town was completely closed and all roads were shut down. I thought it was ludricous as those conditions were a normal occurance up where I live.

It jsut goes to show that what's normal for one person, is a major headache for another. Now put me in 95+ temps and I start boiling over my radiator, feeling nauseated, etc. I can handle cold just fine. But don't put me in a hot place. I just don't function well in heat.

I hope everything returns to normal for everyone affected by the current storm/s and am thankful that you have food to get through for a bit.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:10 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Okay, let me get this right....you are in the midst of a snow event and you are role playing Old Mother Hubbard, yes?

I never freeze meat, chicken or fish...so the freezer would only offer assorted raviolis. I always have butter and flour and evaporated milk (you mentioned short supply of perishables). I could make a cream sauce for the ravioli.

I always have rice and some kind of canned tomato...so spanish rice would be easy enough to manage. A egg poached in the tomato broth before you added the rice would be a nice topping, giving you a bit of protein, too.

Rice balls.

Pasta fagioli.

Pancakes