What would you prepare for your DC friends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You don't have to make anything spectacular, just fix your favorite meal, or your best dish.

Some groups that I belong to, have done just that. Pick a place and everyone who can shows up for a weekend of fellowship and food. The bbq guys call them Q-fest. They have had them in Ga, Tx, Fl and Mo. It is great fun.

Maybe we could plan one for the summer.

marmalady said:
Well, I"d have to make y'all some lowcountry favorites - Shrimp and Grits, or maybe Shrimp Perlow, Fried green tomatoes, butter beans, with some ham and cheese biscuits; and peach ice cream for dessert!

Marm, when can I come?!:LOL:

I'm not sure what I'd make either. I was thinking maybe a huge pot of Frogmore stew, wild rice, cole slaw, & cheddar garlic biscuits. It's a great summer time meal but it's good on a cold winter night too. Dessert, I just have no clue about.

:LOL: I just envisioned a picture of all the DC members getting together to cook a meal together. Remember the movie "Fatso" with Dom De Louise (sp)? The scene with food everywhere - marshmallows coming out of the toaster, pizza, peanut butter. Okay, I'm not implying anyone is fat. It was a very funny movie.

If we are doing a full meal, I'll think on it a bit more. Off the top of my head - a few thoughts (for me), salmon or cornish game hens, wild rice with slivered almonds surrounded by mandarin oranges, sesame asparagus, cream puffs floating in chocolate & shrimp cocktail as an appetizer.

If it's an outdoor get-together at the beach - I'd go for seafood, i.e. clambake, lobster, corn etc. Oops, forgot about Paella - another favorite. Will think on it some more.

Last edited:
We add small whole potatoes to this sometimes too. Add them before the kielbasa.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Frogmore Stew [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2lb. shrimp per person
1/4lb. kielbasa per person, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 ears corn per person
1 bag Zatarain's crab boil
1/4C salt per gallon of water
In a huge pot, bring water to boil. Use roughly twice the volume of water as the volume of ingredients. Add salt & crab boil bag ; boil for 7 minutes. Add kielbasa & boil for 7 minutes. Add corn & boil for 7 minutes. Add shrimp & boil for 4 to 7 minutes. Do not over cook shrimp. Drain (toss the cooking liquid, you don't use it for anything else) & serve in a large bowl. The best way to serve this is on a table covered with newspaper. When everyone is done, just roll up the paper & shrimp shells & toss! Easy cleanup!

[/font]

Yep, I'll have to see if I still have the story behind the name.

Just my luck, I can't find it. I'll keep digging though.

Last edited:
You know, many of us have said we don't think what we would cook would be spectacular...I know I really don't, I just know I'd be doing it for friends and would do it with love and care..I don't think any of us if given the chance to meet, would really focus just on the food...We would be so busy getting to know each other that food as much as we love it would come second...I know I'd bust my buttons fixing for any and all of you, but, meeting and talking and getting to know you would make what I cooked Ehhhhh...Of course I also know me being me, I'd fuss and stew over every detail til the whole meal was over, and I'd be happy and sad at the same time...Happy to have had you there and sad it was over.

kadesma:)
ps...everything you've each offered to fix, would be sensasional, great, spectacular, and perfect...

kadesma said:
...I know I'd bust my buttons fixing for any and all of you

kadesma:)

I'd probably bust a few buttons eating all these dishes :LOL:

That is a lovely thing to say, Kadesma -- the other part, about getting to know one another.

Well...when you're all ready...you can use our restaurant to get together! We're kind of central....we'll close for the day....everyone can cook in my kitchen...we can seat up to about 100....we have a buffet we can put all the food out on....and I'll just sit back and watch everyone else cook for a change! When are you coming? Oh yes...and I have a commercial dishwasher...so dishes are easy! Love you all...wish we really could do this!

luvs_food said:
wouldn't it be cool if we had a gathering where each person brought one basic ingredient- like one person would bring some cheddar cheese and another would bring some baby spinach- and we would cook and make a buffet of sorts using all the ingredients?

Luvs, I had a "stone soup" party once. The name comes from an old story which most of you have probably heard. Soldiers are occupying a village where food is very short. The villagers are hoarding food, and will not share with the soldiers. So the cook announces that he is going to make stone soup. He chooses the stone very carefully, then puts it in a kettle of water over the fire. He keeps sniffing and commenting on how good it smells. "If only I had a cabbage, it would be so much better," he says. A villager appears with a cabbage for his soup. It goes on and on until one by one, the villagers bring potatoes, soup bones, etc, until they have a big pot of delicious soup.

For the party, I had everyone bring something to go in the soup. It was fun, and the soup was great.

KAYLINDA said:
Well...when you're all ready...you can use our restaurant to get together! We're kind of central....we'll close for the day....everyone can cook in my kitchen...we can seat up to about 100....we have a buffet we can put all the food out on....and I'll just sit back and watch everyone else cook for a change! When are you coming? Oh yes...and I have a commercial dishwasher...so dishes are easy! Love you all...wish we really could do this!

That's it! Cherryville Kansas it is!

And Mish, I think you should be in charge of all of the decorations, etc! Your ideas are wonderful:)

Constance said:
Luvs, I had a "stone soup" party once. The name comes from an old story which most of you have probably heard. Soldiers are occupying a village where food is very short. The villagers are hoarding food, and will not share with the soldiers. So the cook announces that he is going to make stone soup. He chooses the stone very carefully, then puts it in a kettle of water over the fire. He keeps sniffing and commenting on how good it smells. "If only I had a cabbage, it would be so much better," he says. A villager appears with a cabbage for his soup. It goes on and on until one by one, the villagers bring potatoes, soup bones, etc, until they have a big pot of delicious soup.

For the party, I had everyone bring something to go in the soup. It was fun, and the soup was great.

that was a good idea!:)
i had that book when i was little. 'course i loved it cause i was a little foodie-in-training.

Back
Top Bottom