"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-06-2005, 09:14 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

What would you prepare for your DC friends?

There are so many people here that I would love to meet, given the opportunity. Of course any meeting would revolve around food (as my whole life seems to do ). If any of you were in my neck of the woods I think it would be so cool to have you over to my house and cook you a good meal. that got me to thinking though, what would I make? It would have to be something impressive. I have cooked for many other people in my time, but never for someone who loves and appreciates good food in the same way that I do and the same way that most of you do. I can easily pick a dish to make for friends or family who are coming to visit and be sure that they will enjoy it, but I have no idea what i would cook for a fellow DC member. It would have to be something spectacular.

What would you make? No need to post recipes here, but if you want to post them in their appropriate forum and then post a link here then that would be cool

Old 10-06-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
Hospitality Queen

I would bake my Grandma's Monster Cookies for everyone. This, to me, is the most special of all treats, as I've only given out the recipe to 5 people, ever. (Grandma's been making them since probably the late 50s or very early 60s).

I'd also pack up freezer baggies of cookies for everyone, so they could bring them home to their families.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
It must be something Italian, there are so many ideas but if I have to choose one, it would be our special production, variety of roma style pizzas, a big pizza party! Followed by another of our special production, home made ice cream in various flavours for a dessert!! But beers to accompany pizzas would have to be german made, I must admit they are way superior to the Italian counterparts....
Old 10-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I don't know for sure.... I'm not a fancy cook. I guess you'd all sit down for a dinner of clam chowder. I'd make hubby make some bread and I'd do a spinach salad in a cheese bowl. Dessert... um... lol.. home made vanilla bean ice cream served with hubbies chocolate chip cookies.

The guest room is ready and waiting!!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know about spectacular there GB but, I'd want to serve a dinner that would make you feel welcome and cared about...A family favorite..Most likely my homemade ravioli and sauce, fried chicken with garlic parsley wine, artichokes quartered, then sauteed in evoo,butter with garlic and parsley this way we all smell alike after the meal homemade dinner rolls. Before as we chat, there would be a large antipasto tray with salami, copa, proscuitto, fontina cheese and provolone, olives several kinds, peppers, roasted and hot, with foccacia all oiled and salted on top..With dinner a nice red wine, then later dessert, cream puffs and coffee...You would groan as you left and so would I but, we would know each other far better after breaking bread together.

kadesma
Old 10-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
I don't know about spectacular there GB but, I'd want to serve a dinner that would make you feel welcome and cared about...A family favorite..Most likely my homemade ravioli and sauce, fried chicken with garlic parsley wine, artichokes quartered, then sauteed in evoo,butter with garlic and parsley this way we all smell alike after the meal homemade dinner rolls. Before as we chat, there would be a large antipasto tray with salami, copa, proscuitto, fontina cheese and provolone, olives several kinds, peppers, roasted and hot, with foccacia all oiled and salted on top..With dinner a nice red wine, then later dessert, cream puffs and coffee...You would groan as you left and so would I but, we would know each other far better after breaking bread together.

kadesma
I'm on my way!!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:20 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma

kadesma
That certainly qualifies as spectacular in my book
Old 10-06-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
Everymom

Holy cow! I'm drooling! kadesma, can you adopt me? Pleeeeeeeeease?

OK, I think I would do a big hunk of standing rib roast, with potatoes, carrots and onions from my garden roasted with the meat. Served with gravy and biscuits. Maybe steamed green beans on the side with a broccoli/wild rice casserole as another side dish. Then for dessert I would do a pie (depending on the season, apple, blueberry, saskatoon, rhubarb or a combo) and a cheesecake. Then maple coffee for dessert just to remind you we are in Canada!

Then we could all sit on my couches and groan for a while.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
Master Chef

My husband would fry a couple of turkeys, and I would make you my chicken and rolled dumplings, mashed potatoes, my friend Dorothy's chicken & dressing casserole, my Thanksgiving Brussels Sprouts (sauteed with garlic, bacon and pine nuts), Best Darned Corn, crusty rolls (store bought, sorry), and an apple crumb pie for dessert, served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:15 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I'll bring dessert! Probably my double chocolate torte or kahlua mousse pie...maybe BOTH!!