What would you prepare for your DC friends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
There are so many people here that I would love to meet, given the opportunity. Of course any meeting would revolve around food (as my whole life seems to do :) ). If any of you were in my neck of the woods I think it would be so cool to have you over to my house and cook you a good meal. that got me to thinking though, what would I make? It would have to be something impressive. I have cooked for many other people in my time, but never for someone who loves and appreciates good food in the same way that I do and the same way that most of you do. I can easily pick a dish to make for friends or family who are coming to visit and be sure that they will enjoy it, but I have no idea what i would cook for a fellow DC member. It would have to be something spectacular.

What would you make? No need to post recipes here, but if you want to post them in their appropriate forum and then post a link here then that would be cool :)

I would bake my Grandma's Monster Cookies for everyone. This, to me, is the most special of all treats, as I've only given out the recipe to 5 people, ever. (Grandma's been making them since probably the late 50s or very early 60s).

I'd also pack up freezer baggies of cookies for everyone, so they could bring them home to their families.

It must be something Italian, there are so many ideas but if I have to choose one, it would be our special production, variety of roma style pizzas, a big pizza party! Followed by another of our special production, home made ice cream in various flavours for a dessert!! But beers to accompany pizzas would have to be german made, I must admit they are way superior to the Italian counterparts....:chef:

I don't know for sure.... I'm not a fancy cook. I guess you'd all sit down for a dinner of clam chowder. I'd make hubby make some bread and I'd do a spinach salad in a cheese bowl. Dessert... um... lol.. home made vanilla bean ice cream served with hubbies chocolate chip cookies.

The guest room is ready and waiting!!

I don't know about spectacular there GB but, I'd want to serve a dinner that would make you feel welcome and cared about...A family favorite..Most likely my homemade ravioli and sauce, fried chicken with garlic parsley wine, artichokes quartered, then sauteed in evoo,butter with garlic and parsley this way we all smell alike after the meal:LOL: homemade dinner rolls. Before as we chat, there would be a large antipasto tray with salami, copa, proscuitto, fontina cheese and provolone, olives several kinds, peppers, roasted and hot, with foccacia all oiled and salted on top..With dinner a nice red wine, then later dessert, cream puffs and coffee...You would groan as you left and so would I but, we would know each other far better after breaking bread together.

kadesma:)

kadesma said:
I don't know about spectacular there GB but, I'd want to serve a dinner that would make you feel welcome and cared about...A family favorite..Most likely my homemade ravioli and sauce, fried chicken with garlic parsley wine, artichokes quartered, then sauteed in evoo,butter with garlic and parsley this way we all smell alike after the meal:LOL: homemade dinner rolls. Before as we chat, there would be a large antipasto tray with salami, copa, proscuitto, fontina cheese and provolone, olives several kinds, peppers, roasted and hot, with foccacia all oiled and salted on top..With dinner a nice red wine, then later dessert, cream puffs and coffee...You would groan as you left and so would I but, we would know each other far better after breaking bread together.

I'm on my way!!!!

kadesma said:

That certainly qualifies as spectacular in my book :)

Holy cow! I'm drooling! kadesma, can you adopt me? Pleeeeeeeeease?

OK, I think I would do a big hunk of standing rib roast, with potatoes, carrots and onions from my garden roasted with the meat. Served with gravy and biscuits. Maybe steamed green beans on the side with a broccoli/wild rice casserole as another side dish. Then for dessert I would do a pie (depending on the season, apple, blueberry, saskatoon, rhubarb or a combo) and a cheesecake. Then maple coffee for dessert just to remind you we are in Canada!

Then we could all sit on my couches and groan for a while.

My husband would fry a couple of turkeys, and I would make you my chicken and rolled dumplings, mashed potatoes, my friend Dorothy's chicken & dressing casserole, my Thanksgiving Brussels Sprouts (sauteed with garlic, bacon and pine nuts), Best Darned Corn, crusty rolls (store bought, sorry), and an apple crumb pie for dessert, served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

nothing fancy just something really good.
my chicken and rice stuff. see there's not
even a fancy name for it !

I would likely make something I would make for my family as well. I would just invite you all to thanksgiving. I am having a turkey and stuffing with pumpkin and butternut squash. Mashed Califlower with roasted garlic and onions. Of course I am not exectly sure how I am cooking all this other then the califlower and the turkey. I have not decided if the squash will be roasted with the turkey or not but that is the way I am going right now. I have to figure out if I put them in first or if I wait till the last couple of hours. with a chicken I would just put them in when I started the chicken but a turkey takes longer to cook. I would also figure out something really nice for desert maybe a tofu pumpkin pie. it sounds funny but is very rich and creamy and a lot better for you.

ArticKatt - I LOVE mashed cauliflower!!

mmmm - I think I would just go to your houses - and kadesma - my pants don't fit anymore just reading everything!

I don't normally do desserts but I have a recipe called Slice of Sin that is wonderful!

I might have to do something from here - like a smoked pork butt with my two homemade sauces and my mom's macaroni salad - after that I'm not sure.

And then I may do something entirely different! lol

I've been thinking about this and can't decide.

Maybe cheddar and walnut stuffed mushroom caps or death-defying baked stuffed shrimp for appetizers. Witha a nice non-oaky chardonnay.

For the entree, Goulash or chicken paprikash with spaetzle, or boeuf bourguignon and noodles, or pot roast and garlic mashed potaotes. Old vine red zinfandel for wine.

For dessert, I think cheesecake with a selection of fruit toppings or carrot cake or triple pecan pie and homemade vanilla ice cream.

Coffee and after dinner drinks in the "study". Sorry, no cigars allowed.

OK, GB, you never told us what you'd make. Let's hear it!

My cheese souffle. (Chocolate souffle for dessert. Need to work on that one a bit.) Souffle, imo, says elegant, yet there's something so soothing in the taste, texture and aroma. You all must be barefoot, so it doesn't de-poof in the oven. :LOL: As long as it's a virtual dinner, champagne, caviar, and smoked oysters - and I'm set. :chef: Oh, and an antipasti would be nice too.

i'd make veal scallopine and a side of fettucine alfredo and serve that with a red wine of some sort.
as a pre-meal appetizer, i'd go to the antipasto bar and get all kinds of goodies. after the meal, there would be cheese and fruit. or maybe coffee and a dessert- i'm not sure what; i'm not good at desserts.:blush:

wouldn't it be cool if we had a gathering where each person brought one basic ingredient- like one person would bring some cheddar cheese and another would bring some baby spinach- and we would cook and make a buffet of sorts using all the ingredients?

Andy M. said:
OK, GB, you never told us what you'd make. Let's hear it!
I am really not sure. I would want to make my Bolognese sauce because it is the best tasting thing I make, but I don't know what else I would serve with it. I have never made my own pasta so i don't think I would want to try that out on one of you :LOL: Garlic bread always goes well with this meal. I really don't know what I would serve though. Maybe if it was summer I would make my Chimichurri Steak with Black Eyed Pea Salad and maybe another salad. Or maybe a killer burger on the grill if kids were coming as well. I am really not sure LOL.

luvs_food said:
wouldn't it be cool if we had a gathering where each person brought one basic ingredient- like one person would bring some cheddar cheese and another would bring some baby spinach- and we would cook and make a buffet of sorts using all the ingredients?
That is such a cool idea luvs! Has anyone here ever done that?

Well, I"d have to make y'all some lowcountry favorites - Shrimp and Grits, or maybe Shrimp Perlow, Fried green tomatoes, butter beans, with some ham and cheese biscuits; and peach ice cream for dessert!

Back
Top Bottom