Whatcha cooking Wednesday 4/6/11?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made brown rice risotto with broccoli and http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/mushroom-stuffed-pork-tenderloin-71328.html#post986653.

DH says I was being overly ambitious, since I am ill. He's probably right. I have the dumb, I cannot brain. ;)

The risotto was tasty, but far too much effort. Brown rice has plenty of flavour to start with. If I can't find an easier way to make it, I won't bother.

The stuffed tenderloin was series of misadventures. I defrosted a 600 gram package of tenderloin and found two weenie tenderloins instead of one larger one. I opened the jar of sundried tomatoes in oil and they were growing something, so I seeded a fresh tomato and chopped it and added that to the stuffing. By this time I was getting stressed and frustrated. It was getting late. I didn't sauté the 'shrooms and onion long enough, so they didn't shrivel as much as they should have. I ended up with way too much stuffing. I suspect it also had something to do with it being two small tenderloins instead of one larger one. So, I have a bunch of mushroom/onion stuffing left.

Then, again, because it was getting late, I guess I didn't have the patience to brown the tenderloins as much as I should have. The gravy is supposed to be definitely brown, not beige. I probably should have baked two small tenderloins for less time than one large one. They were a bit overcooked.

I was going to serve rødkål with supper, but by the time it was almost ready, I didn't even have the energy to nuke the, already made rødkål.

But, in spite of the misadventures, it tasted pretty good. I guess I should only cook simple stuff when I'm ill. :ermm:

IMG_2776.JPG

First grilled ribs of the year! Made my mega batch of bourbon BBQ sauce and of course had to try it out. Made pan fried potatoes with cucumbers and tomatoes. Turned out great.

We had rainbow trout fillets with a scallion/white wine glaze/sauce, brown rice, and steamed green beans.

lol, kathleen, that's great!

it was an odd day today. good and bad.

my best friend died 2 years ago today. i miss ozzy terribly. there was so much sfuff still to do: so many runs to ski, so many trails to hike, so many animals to bbq, so many bones to smoke, so many fun times to be had. he shouldn't have left. i'm still pissed about it.

but it was also my cockatoo beethoven's 18th birthday. we hung out and watched spongebob, bizarre foods, and nhl highlights together with my boy; then butthead (his nickname) got a piece of coconut iced cupcake to celebrate.

so after a long day, i finally got an appetite. i'm off to get beef and lamb souvlaki, steak fries, and greek salad.

Last edited:
We had California Chicken salad, roasted chicken breast topped with a curry-flavored dressing that uses mayo and a WHOLE stick of butter, with grapes and toasted almonds as toppers. Old receipe from a local restaurant in a small town I used to live in long ago and where another DC member lives close to now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom