"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-04-2016, 12:45 AM   #11
Master Chef

Himself test-drove Loverly's grill tonight before the holiday. We had grilled Italian sausages (hot and sweet) and fresh bratwurst sandwiches. Sides were corn/tomato/basil salad with Feta cheese, sauteed "stop-light" peppers and onions for those eating Italian, sauerkraut for those holding a bratwurst bun, and sauteed onions and smashed potatoes made with the potatoes that were too soft to use in potato salad. Goober had made other plans for today, so there are plenty of leftovers for him to take with him tomorrow.

Too hungry to take photos (I plumb forgot) but I have to say the photos tonight look especially yummy.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:40 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Pirate put together a chicken salad. The flavor was great. But he used only the white meat of the breast. The one meat I don't like. I tried one small piece, and can't get past the "I hate chicken breast" meat. Now, I will have to put a small spoonful on a plate and eat it, so his feelings aren't hurt. After all he made it more for me than himself. I will have some cole slaw with it. That will help.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:08 AM   #13
Head Chef

A ham sandwich is all. However, I'm marinating some chicken parts using a copy cat El Pollo Loco marinade. It'll be 24 hours marinating by tomorrow. I bet El Pollo Loco marinates their chicken for 48 hours. Their chicken has such a uniform golden brown color. We'll see. I plan to grill it hot and turn it often, like they do.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:14 AM   #14
Master Chef

Thanks for all the tips about "Sunday Gravy".

For my first attempt at the dish, it was really tasty, and likely filled the intent of a simple supper with bits of meats in a yummy Italian tomato sauce. I'll plan for meatballs next time.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #15
Head Chef

Went to a pot luck to see fireworks and I made avocado tuna melts w/ cherry banana fruit cups + berry cream cheese celery.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #16
Head Chef

Sunday Gravy

Kayelle, I have made Jeff Smith's Sunday Gravy ( The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian) It's really delicious.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #17
Master Chef

Wow, what great looking and sounding dinners, everyone! Kay,happy to hear that your Sunday gravy was a success - it sure did sound good. CG, your meals lately (well, always....) sound scrumptious. I always tend to eat more when I'm out of town. Glad you're enjoying good meals with family. Joey, your potluck plate is so cute with the dolphins, and everything looks delicious!

I had another 'cold' plate yesterday afternoon. I fried up some chicken thighs late morning and refrigerated them. I love cold fried chicken. Marinated asparagus, deviled eggs and celery with ranch for sides. (obviously...)
I'll nibble on the remaining chicken thighs over the next couple of days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fried chicken and marinated asparagus.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	24975  
Old 07-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
DH smoked pork ribs today and I made baked beans and cole slaw. He brushed my ribs with a barbecue sauce made in Michigan that my brother and SIL gave us for Christmas. Yummy He likes his plain.
Looks great, GG! That bbq sauce sounds really good.